Let me preface this by saying that my Playbook was my first and only tablet. I have zero personal experience with ipad or android tablets, and can only go off what my classmates have said.

So I got into a pretty competitive program for respiratory therapy this fall. I had a lot of up-front costs to deal with so I had to sell my laptop to make ends meet. I now exclusively utilize my playbook and curve 9310 for pretty much all of my computing needs. There are a couple of essential apps that make this possible; qPDF Notes, the Origami browser, Files and Folders, and that magically delicious gem known as Blackberry Bridge.

The instructor provides pdfs of his lecture notes, so I use qPDF Notes to annotate while I record class using Voice Recorder. qPDF can save directly to my Box account, where I can access my annotated notes from the cloud, download to my phone or a pc, and look over my notes while on the go. The class has a Facebook page where we keep each other informed about class meetings, special events and whatnot. I use Origami to access Facebook (since we all know how bad the native app is) and our courses' web-based components (they all work flawlessly). Meanwhile the phone is on Silent mode in my book bag, bridged to the playbook so I don't miss any important emails and the data connection stays solid when our school's wifi bugs out as it has a tendency to do.

All that to say when I'm in school I can flat get SH!T done, on a 2 year old tablet and a cheap prepaid phone. Others in the class swear by their ipads, but they seem to spend a lot of time looking for power outlets, and give up when the wifi drops. They are ALL genuinely surprised to learn that Blackberry ever made a tablet and that it's 2 years old.

I hate that the playbook launch was so bungled, because it eventually became a capable device. Unfortunately the tech media never gave it a second look and Blackberry never really marketed it. Now I'm hpoing to keep these wonderful devices running long enough to get through school, because I honestly don't know how I would go about replacing them without giving up some of their functionality.
    09-14-13 09:16 PM
    Let me preface this by saying that my Playbook was my first and only tablet. I have zero personal experience with ipad or android tablets, and can only go off what my classmates have said.

So I got into a pretty competitive program for respiratory therapy this fall. I had a lot of up-front costs to deal with so I had to sell my laptop to make ends meet. I now exclusively utilize my playbook and curve 9310 for pretty much all of my computing needs. There are a couple of essential apps that make this possible; qPDF Notes, the Origami browser, Files and Folders, and that magically delicious gem known as Blackberry Bridge.

The instructor provides pdfs of his lecture notes, so I use qPDF Notes to annotate while I record class using Voice Recorder. qPDF can save directly to my Box account, where I can access my annotated notes from the cloud, download to my phone or a pc, and look over my notes while on the go. The class has a Facebook page where we keep each other informed about class meetings, special events and whatnot. I use Origami to access Facebook (since we all know how bad the native app is) and our courses' web-based components (they all work flawlessly). Meanwhile the phone is on Silent mode in my book bag, bridged to the playbook so I don't miss any important emails and the data connection stays solid when our school's wifi bugs out as it has a tendency to do.

All that to say when I'm in school I can flat get SH!T done, on a 2 year old tablet and a cheap prepaid phone. Others in the class swear by their ipads, but they seem to spend a lot of time looking for power outlets, and give up when the wifi drops. They are ALL genuinely surprised to learn that Blackberry ever made a tablet and that it's 2 years old.

I hate that the playbook launch was so bungled, because it eventually became a capable device. Unfortunately the tech media never gave it a second look and Blackberry never really marketed it. Now I'm hpoing to keep these wonderful devices running long enough to get through school, because I honestly don't know how I would go about replacing them without giving up some of their functionality.
    Take away the apps, playbook is just as good if not better than many tablets out there. It was meant to be a professional tablet not a gaming and social device. It serves the basic function of entertainment in music, video and reading. At least I think that's the concept of the initial launch. I'm glad you get so much use out of it, hope it will continue to serve your needs much longer.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-14-13 09:37 PM
    Really good story. Keep that old phone as the new bb10 devices don't bridge with quite the full features of the older phones - although data-sharing still exists (if carrier has not blocked it)
    09-14-13 10:06 PM
    Great story, I did the exact same thing during my time in nursing school. My playbook and Curve 9330 combo worked for me. Best of luck for the rest of your programme.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-15-13 03:46 PM
    I never understood why they didn't market the bridge between PlayBook and phone to sales forces. Money saver for drug reps for example where.company pays for phone and data coverage for tablet

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-15-13 04:22 PM
    I never understood why they didn't market the bridge between PlayBook and phone to sales forces. Money saver for drug reps for example where.company pays for phone and data coverage for tablet

Posted via CB10
    You could have stopped there. They never marketed it, never mind specific features. Bridge was so powerful and unique and remained UNtold.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-15-13 06:53 PM
    Great story and good luck with your studies.

If you don't already have a BT keyboard and mouse, see about borrowing one or getting a cheap set. It will boost your productivity 3 fold because of increased typing speed and screen real estate!

Fired from my Z10
    Carl Estes and qwerty4ever like this.
    09-15-13 07:50 PM
    Yeah, this tablet rocksssss. she(playbook) serves me well
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-15-13 08:08 PM