This has happened to me about 3 times in the past month or so. So far, turning it off and back on again has restored the sound but it worries me whem this happens because I love this little computing dynamo and would hate to be without it. I understand now why people buy an extra one for back up but I can't afford that right now.

This past time the sound went off the keyboard when I was typing and sure enough it was gone everywhere else also. The sound volume showed as being on as per usual.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is it just a glitch to keep us on our toes?

Thanks for any intel you can give me.....M
    02-15-13 09:47 AM
    It has happened to me a few times over 2 years. I don't know if some app changes something or if it is a random bug. Rebooting has fixed it. Were you using an specific app just before it happened? Or within the last 15 minutes as it happened?
    MarlenaRosie likes this.
    02-15-13 09:58 AM
    No. as best as I can recall each time has been totally different and random. I was probably just listening to music or watching a video - don't use apps much.

Back to the drawing board.....
    02-15-13 10:08 AM
    Three possible reasons...

First, if you are using hearing aid, it is probably low battery during those times that intermittent picking up of sound from environment is eminent...

Second, if you are not using hearing aid, the "glitch" is probably caused by a non-proper installation of OS... and this problem is usually can be fixed by just reinstalling the OS... it can't be a "bug" that OS has, otherwise, you will not be alone or your case would not be isolated...

Third, if after OS installation and still having that kind of "glitch", it maybe a hardware related problem... something inside your PB must be having loose connection that you will experience this "glitch" on randomly basis...
    MarlenaRosie likes this.
    02-15-13 10:24 AM
    I've had it lose sound or get garbled sound when watching a movie on occasion.
    MarlenaRosie likes this.
    02-15-13 10:26 AM
    Thank you for the information.

No hearing aid and it didn't occur to me it might be a hardware problem. I still have 24 days left on my warranty thing so I guess I better call Blackberry support. I hate the thought of having to send my Playbook to them for repair but I guess I better if needed.

PAD - Playbook Anxiety Disorder
    02-15-13 11:03 AM
    I happens to me on occasion. It is not a hardware problem. Sometimes the sound will come back by itself. Other times it took a restart. It has to do with the way QNX runs the UI. Sound is a process and apparently can be buggy so the OS shuts it down. UI faults can be revealing as they show how the OS runs things. Twice I've seen the screen divided into two distinct individually performing panels. The top and the bottom acting independently. This is going to be the trick with QNX: getting all the processes running harmoniously to create a seamless UI experience.
    MarlenaRosie likes this.
    02-15-13 11:14 AM
    This happened to me once, that was about 2 updates ago and i just restarted. Has worked fine ever since.
    02-15-13 11:40 AM
    It happens to me from while to while. In my case, I'm pretty sure sideloaded Angry Words is guilty. Rebooting solves the problem but, yeah, that's not elegant.
    02-15-13 11:50 AM
    I used to happen a lot, but has only happened once in the last couple of months. I am assuming something in one of the updates fixed it. When it did happen, I would have to restart.

Also, I had these issues before I ever figured out how to sideload. So that wasn't affecting it. It wasn't happening only when the battery was low either. Due to the fact that it seems to have corrected itself after updates, I am going to guess it was something related in part to the OS.
    02-15-13 12:02 PM
    Same here, the behaviour is consistent with the audio subsystem driver on QNX dying/deadlock and the OS not terminating and relaunching it. Could be that the drivers are only started on boot. When the sound is lost, I notice that the games and music player hang when attempting to use the audio and need to be terminated since they don't work. Rebooting clears this up by just restarting the audio subsystem on startup. This was one of the issues I reported to RIM a long time ago with no fix ever given.
    02-15-13 12:10 PM
    I notice that the games and music player hang when attempting to use the audio
    I only had this issue once but that was my experience. The timer wouldn't move on any audio.
    02-15-13 12:18 PM
    It only started happening to me with the OS update that came before 2.1.0.1526. I haven't been running 1526 long enough to tell if the problem is fixed.

If the problem persists with 1526 I'll wipe and reinstall the OS. Anything to clear this up. The annoyance factor is high!
    02-15-13 12:38 PM
    It's happened to me only a couple of times. In my case, it's where I was previously using earphones. When I next used the PB without earphones, it was like the PB still thought the earphones were plugged in.
    02-15-13 12:55 PM
    It's happened to me only a couple of times. In my case, it's where I was previously using earphones. When I next used the PB without earphones, it was like the PB still thought the earphones were plugged in.
    That's a really good point actually. When I think back, that is when the problem occurred for me as well. But, the sound wouldn't completely cut right off. It would get very garbled.
    02-15-13 01:03 PM
    It maybe a "bug" inherited with the OS since a lot of users are experiencing it at randomly basis... and I maybe lucky since I tried my 2 PB to come out with that intermittent sound disruption...

Anyway, thought I could share this, one of my Android device somehow having that kind of "glitch" whenever I have another Apps or games open that running in the background... according to Android Geeks, this is usually the problem with sound conflict between two (or more) programs running and using the same hardware such as the sound system...it can also attribute to the limitations of the RAM i.e. when it reach its maximum memory, it dumps some programs or halted them for running and this is where the sluggishness, hang-ups or intermittent happens...

It could be the same reason other "bugs"...
    02-16-13 12:15 AM
    It's only recently been doing it. Well this is my second one after warranty'ing my first one. And the music will read 0:00 for time on all songs. Weird AF
    02-16-13 03:55 AM
    I've never had that happen to me. My PB has really good sound, especially when I play it through my Klipsch sound dock or my Marantz hoe theater. Really good fidelity.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-16-13 04:02 AM