I know this is the hundredth post and maybe someone out there has a better solution that I have not tried.

My playbook has 0% power and will not charge...I have tried

The wall charger that came with the playbook
    The "quick charge" docking station for playbook
    The blackberry USB cable connected to the computer
    A universal charger
    Pressed the on button for 20 seconds
    Pressed the on button and the + / - volumn button
    Plugged and unplugged the power cable hoping to start the charge
    Left it plugged into each of the above for several days and nothing
    Anything and everything that I have found on Blackberry, Crackberry, and other blogs

Finally I took it to a repair shop here in town because I thought it might be the charging ports but it is not that either. They said is not repairable. It might work with a software update but I can't download the the software because the computer does not recognize the playbook because it is not charged!!!!!

Flustrated doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. I got the Playbook about a month after RIM released it for the first time and loved it. Foolishly, I also purchased the playbook when it was the highest price. So I have had it for several years but never encounter something like this.

So now I have a worthless expensive piece of electronics that all it apparently needs is a software update but how can I get the update to download when there is 0% power. Anyone have a suggestion on this problem?

I will replace the playbook if I can't get is running but it will not be with another playbook.
    10-08-12 02:44 PM
    when did you get it? do you have the receipt?
    10-08-12 02:55 PM
    There is a poster here "f2" that has compiled most that is known on this charging issue. Did you ever see it? I think debricking via DM was on the list. Maybe he'll see your post.
    10-08-12 02:58 PM
    Have you tried leaving it for a long time (i.e. overnight) with the wall charger that came with the unit?

Mine has been so dead that it appears not to charge for several hours. I also find the original wall charger or OE dock plugged into an original wall charger are the most reliable. USB from a computer only provides a slow charge, as do many 3rd party and/or car chargers.
    10-08-12 03:07 PM
    You have tried STACK charging? More than 4 or 5 times? One person got their's going by using both the usb charger and the TRAVEL rapid charger.

Here's a whole slew of stack charging methods.

Good luck

Okay, try any and all of the various methods, including just holding the power button in for 30-40 seconds. Also go into a dark closet and make sure the screen is really black/off and not a lit up gray.

I was told about "stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes.

Plug the PB in with the factory charging cable (red light comes on for a several seconds, then goes off). Wait about 10 more seconds. Unplug PB for about 30 seconds.

Repeat n times.

n == 6 for me. Finally my PB light switched to green, then began to oscillate, signalling charging. After a few more minutes my PB came back to life.

You might want to UNplug/Replug at the wall/socket end to avoid using or damaging the weaker usb port on the pb itself.

Just talked to tech support, because i'm impatient sometimes. Here is the initial process they gave me to try.

Plug in the charger for 2 mins, unplug for 10 sec -> Repeat 6 to 8 times

Then while unplugged perform the Hard reset (POWER, VOL + and - at the same time) . **When the red light comes on PLUG IN THE CHARGER**

The playbook is supposed to then start charging/boot.
    Along the same lines as just above, someone posted:

FOUND A QUICK FIX HOPE IT HELPS

WOW, i tried EVERY SINGLE Step out there and the one step that worked ... was HOLDING down the power key for 20 seconds, after 20 Seconds do not let go of the power button and plug in the wall charger, and then let go... should get a steady red light for about 10 seconds, then the battery icon with lightning bolt should appear.. the it will charge with just a flashing green..... lol wasted 4 hrs for nothing hope this works for everyone else

Some have now found a shorter sequence works:

Oh man I fixed it. I stack charged it! But not for 2 minutes.

Every time my PB red signal goes off I removed the connection from the wall charger and placed it back within a second. I repeated it for almost 25-30 times and all in the sudden a big charger button showed up on the screen and a green light on the charging LED. I left th e power connection for 2 more hrs and started using it.
    And another posting that might help....

There are a few solutions and some are mentioned above. SO try the things I am mentioning below.... Let me know if it works .

Problem Scenario: 1. Blackberry wont boot or turn on, on pressing the power button, the red light stays for a few seconds and does not turn on 2. Sometimes you will see the red light followed by a green/ yellow light that blinks 5 times and does not turn on.

Reason: The main reason why both of the above things happen is because the battery is completely drained out, you could call it " Flat out". The problem with playbook is that the playbook wont charge if the playbook is Flat out drained. whereas other tablets or cellphones does....Playbook has to fix that issue. Meanwhile we do have a solution to go around that problem and that requires some patience. Some of the solutions mentioned in the previous comments indicate to charge it via computer.... "It doesn`t work" not if the battery is drained out flat.... so dont even bother trying it if u see the above mentioned problem.

Solution: try this step by step and this are 3 different solutions so one of this would definitely work. 1. Press the Power button and you will see the Playbook Logo ( chances for this are low ) 2. Press the power button and the volume together, if there is 1 % charge left there is a chance that it would boot on, when you see the logo, immediately charge the playbook ( chances are medium ) 3. This solution requires patience. plug the charger into the socket and plug the USB into the playbook, the red light stays for 8-10 secs. Remove the USb from the playbook wait for 2 to 5 sec and replug the usb back to the charger and wait till that red light comes and goes again. repeat this step atleast 20-30 times. you might be asking why? the only power that the playbook gets is when that red light is on when plugging the usb into the playbook, once that light goes the playbook is not charging.. so what you are doing here is forcing the playbook to get charged for 8 sec every time u plug it to the playbook....this way the playbook gets that power needed to boot. Once the Playbook has that power to boot. The red light stays and changes to green but this time it blinks slowly and keeps blinking. you would also see the playbook logo return.... this green light keeps blinking until there is enough charge for the playbook to stand on its own and then changes to a solid red until it gets fully charged.

Knowledge Base Article

KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook Power - Battery charge and discharge characteristics

10-08-12 03:12 PM
    Here's an idea: some USB drives come with a Y-cable that plugs into two USB ports: one for power+data, the other just for extra power. They are wired in parallel, so they supply 5V with at least 2x500 mA. That might be enough to get your PlayBook running while also connected to the PC, thus allowing you to do a wipe or a debrick... Something like this: Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB2HAUBY1 1 Feet USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive - Dual USB A to Micro B: Electronics

Connect to the USB connectors on the back of your PC. Those on the front or on a USB hub sometimes only deliver 500mA in total, all ports.

Note that charging with anything but the provided charger is not recommended by RIM. Just saying.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 10-09-12 at 09:33 AM.
    10-08-12 07:35 PM
    F2, you are not seriously condoning the use of two chargers *at the same time* are you? Supplying higher than designed current to a lithium-ion battery is dangerous and could lead to a fire or explosion.

"In a lithium-ion battery, you'll find pressurized containers that house a coil of metal and a flammable, lithium-containing liquid"

****OP. This "two chargers at once" meme is very unsafe. Do not do this.****
    While I agree that two simultaneous supplies (chargers) is not a good idea, that is because only one (the one with the higher voltage output) will do anything - so it is pointless. As far as the risks you speculate are concerned, it would only be a problem if the charging circuit incorporated in the PlayBook was defective and allowed a huge excess current to pass - or the cells were connected directly to the external power source without the charge control circuit so overcharging becomes possible. The first scenario is very unlikely, and the second is impossible without dismantling the PlayBook.

In reality the cells (in isolation) will be capable of handling much higher current than any pair of chargers can deliver (probably at least 7-10 Amps). Any device will be designed with adequate safety margins, and lithium cells are noted for their low internal resistance and high current rating in low impedance circuits. If the physical components can take the current on discharge the same components should be able to handle it in the reverse direction. In any case, cell packs from major manufacturers are always designed with overheat protection and vented for safe rupture characteristics in the event of catastrophic failure.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-08-12 07:44 PM
    RIM really really needs to fix this issue ASAP if not awhile back. It's unacceptable that so many people seem to have this issue.
    10-08-12 08:01 PM
    F2, you are not seriously condoning the use of two chargers *at the same time* are you? Supplying higher than designed current to a lithium-ion battery is dangerous and could lead to a fire or explosion.

"In a lithium-ion battery, you'll find pressurized containers that house a coil of metal and a flammable, lithium-containing liquid"

****OP. This "two chargers at once" meme is very unsafe. Do not do this.****
    You can't supply more current to the battery than it will allow. The battery regulates the current.
    I really don't see a benifit to using two chargers but you aren't going to blow up the battery.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-08-12 09:38 PM
    It may well be that the use of two simultaneous chargers is a "loophole" that tricks the protection circuitry into allowing a normal charge of a totally depleted battery. I concur that it is impossible for two wall chargers to supply enough current to damage the battery; however, if the protection circuitry is being fooled, there remains a valid concern that the battery could be overcharged and thus damaged.

So I would only advise the two charger method to bring the battery to 30%; above that, it should charge properly with just one charger.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-08-12 10:05 PM
    So you think there are no benefits to simultaneous charging but no safety concerns?
    Li-ion batteries of recent years are internally regulated, as well as the device regulation that occurs. That's the reason when they first came out with their own internal controller chip they were referred to as "smart" batteries. No danger in the practice . But as stated above, no point because only the charge source with the highest current output will be received. The drawback is heat. Higher charge rates than what the battery was designed for in application will cause excessive heat which will shorten the service life of a Li-ion battery. But infrequent high charge rates shouldn't have too much effect. FWIW, I've been charging my 9930 with my PB charger, which is a very high charge rate for it, for almost a year, even though I know it will shorten the life. I like the super quick charge time and willing to replace a battery prematurely, but so far no issues.

As to the OP's problem, I bought a second PB from a member here and didn't have time to deal with it for a while. It was DOA battery wise, by the time I started to set it up, 0 Battery. It wouldn't respond to several methods listed above in attempts to charge. Stack charging, as F2 mentions, is what got it going for me. In many cases it takes a short inrush current of several limited cycles to kickstart the charge process from a 0 level battery. May not work for you but worth a try, it's worked for many. Good luck.
    jafobabe likes this.
    10-08-12 10:06 PM
    I have a Playbook that also went flat out. I tried to hold the power and Volume but that remedy didnt work. I tried plugging in the usb and unplugging it, but it made it worst by totally dieing on me. I got very frustrated so I left my Playbook alone until I figured another way. Ive seen other posts talking about buying a rapid charger but I wasn't going to buy it until I tried everything else I could possibly imagined. I thought what the heck is the difference between a rapid charger and the regular one that the Playbook initially came with. I guess the rapid charger is a magnetic charger instead of using the usb.... so I thought of another way to try to see if I can bring my Playbook back to life by manipulating certain things around. Here's what I did...
    1.Got a generic mini usb cord that I had for my External harddrive. (ROCKET FISH brand)
    2. Used an iPhone socket charger.
    3.Connect it all together.
    And the next thing I know, the light turned on first red,I forget how many times,then green, and then off. I unplugged the socket charger for 5-10sec and repeated stack charging about 6-8 times. Then, I plugged the regular charger that had originally came with my Playbook. The red light turned on and stayed on. After that everything else was back to normal. I was soo excited and happy that I did this before thinking of buying the Rapid charger or spending more money.
    I hope this helps
    10-10-12 04:15 AM
    Whilst not a charging solution as such, I notice you haven't mentioned connecting to the BB Desktop Software?

It's worth a try as the Desktop Software can sometimes recover even a dead PB and load the latest software onto it. (It's called "debricking")

Download the DS from here: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software

Then try stack charging as F2 suggests... it's a long and frustrating process, but it can work. Use a PB charger (the one with the higher current output, not a BB phone charger) connected by a switch to protect your PB ports from damage caused by all the repeated plugging/unplugging.

If you manage to get it charging... well done!

If you don't, contact RIM CS and explain the problem. RIM are being very flexible over PB's out of the warranty period and are likely to offer you an RMA (repair) if your battery is truly dead.

RIM CS is on 0800 096 2805 here in the UK. Google "RIM Customer Service" if you aren't a Brit!
    10-10-12 05:52 AM
    One thing to mention about debricking is that it will erase everything on your pb beside the OS.
    10-10-12 06:31 AM
    One thing to mention about debricking is that it will erase everything on your pb beside the OS.
    Good point!

Yes... if you can, always try and do a backup (again via the DM) before you debrick.

If you can't backup because of, well anything really... you probably have nothing left to lose because with a dead battery and suspect OS I'm not sure any files on your PB are retrievable by any other means. The DM software does mount the PB as a storage device (usually Z: ) so you could copy files across using Windows... but I don't know if it would get that far with a bricked PB?
    10-10-12 07:54 AM
    There are tons of threads on the subject but I'll put in what I know.

If you plug it in with the power off, do you get a green light that slowly flashes? Do you see a battery charging on the screen when it's off?

When the battery is at zero, it can take 20 minutes or more to get a reading that it's charging. This is because the PB will only charge at a very slow trickle until the battery reaches a certain voltage, which 3.8v seems to ring a bell. Once the battery reaches this number, it will begin quick charging.

This happened to my wifes pb and I found a Blackberry KB on it. (I looked for it but couldn't find it quickly.) She occationally has issues with the charging stand where it wont charge when you put it in and eventually the battery dies. It doesn't happen all the time.
    10-10-12 08:19 AM