There is a beer-fetching app. It's called Google Voice. Just text your kids.

"First one to bring Daddy a beer gets to keep surfing the web"
    modine and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-12-12 11:09 AM
    USB OTG, Full Documents to go.... This probably coming in a next update, by the way I BBMed a friend and she brought me the beer....
    01-12-12 11:18 AM
    my PlayBook doesn't teleport me anywhere!!
    OH someone PLEASE develop a teleportation app!
    01-12-12 11:24 AM
    Mine will get me beer but what I have to do to it in return is just disgusting.

Really though, as it is now the PlayBook's app selection is coming along well. It's not there yet but it's getting there. Similar to how it was for Andriod and iOS in their beginnings as well. Takes a bit of real market penetration to get the Dev's on board. Sure there are lots of BB phones in use in the world but with the switch to BB10 (QNX) not many will invest time and effort in a code base for a dying platform. So this means we look to QNX OS 2 and the devs are and I think we will be seeing a lot more apps with the release of OS 2 on Playbook, and I don't just mean android conversions. But it will be around the time that RIM releases BBOS10, so we have a unified code base from phones to tablets, that we will see real developer adoption of the platform.

Its all in the numbers. The install base of the platform has to get to a high enough level to warrant the developers getting on board. And I say it will happen, QNX is looking very nice now. Not just solid and stable, but cool, capable and fun.
    modine and cntrydncr223 like this.
    01-12-12 11:24 AM
    Oh, puhlease...You guys are complaining? I asked my PB this morning if my skirt made me look hippy...and it didn't say anthing!
    You need the app "Perfect Man" available for the iFans. We have it on our other tablet.
    modine likes this.
    01-12-12 11:26 AM
    Mine will get me beer but what I have to do to it in return is just disgusting.
    *you kill me!!*
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    01-12-12 11:27 AM
    Hey, it WILL fetch a beer you hater. You simply have to bridge it with your wife's bberry.

***Please note: my wonderful wife does not own a bberry, she does not read this forum and was not present in the room where I posted this from. (me/ looks over my shoulder)
    Very funny.
    01-12-12 11:28 AM
    Mine won't fetch my beer but I've trained it to replenish when I'm low.
    01-12-12 11:34 AM
    Mine just plain refuses to do anything interesting.

Actually it also refuses to connect to my bluetooth audio devices, let me play scrabble (except on facebook which is impossible), talk to my family and friends on video calling through its fabulous camera and speakers unless i buy each of them a playbook, it refuses to correct my spelling or give me a google map solution that works so I'm using Nokia maps (WTF!). It also refuses to go to the top of my pictures folder which gets worse the more pictures i add. It also refuses to allow me to do a 'send to' item for anything I'm working on and refuses to get rid of blackberry messenger icons.

Guys who are you kidding here? We're all here because we bought one (at release for �550.00!) and if theres a lot of bleating going in it isnt because we are all bleaters it because we bought the best hardware and OS with Blackberry backing and have the best thing that does nothing interesting I've ever owned. Its like Ferrari built the best car ever but forgot to enter any races.

When I've finished typing this I'll put my PB down and pick up my ipod touch to Facetime or skype my family in the UK from this German hotel room. I'll then play some Scrabble moves (the most popular non-computer game style app for grown ups and kids alike). I'll then listen to the 2 audio books in the top 20 lists which I tried to buy on my playbook but ended up getting on i-tunes. I even tried Audible but theres no download manager so I had to use the ipod to get what id bought on the Playbook. Tomorrow when I arrive at the Airport I'll plug it into my Alpine car Audio (or stream it) to listen to music on the drive home. Oh and I'll probably do some stuff on my Bold 9900 I cant do too like WhatsApp and check my trip on Blackberry Travel.

Over Christmas outside work, I didnt bother picking up my Playbook. Whats the point? Its no fun. I bought my IOS5 powered ipod as a stopgap until the PB caught up but its an awfully long gap to stop!! And anyone who hated IOS4 (as i did) shouldnt knock the competition until they've tries 5 because its a quantum leap and the best February's update will do is bring it close with someone elses help via Android.

The Playbook design, functionality, bridge, screen, size etc.......all genius, the best, killer, etc. But whats the point if it doesnt do the basic stuff we want like streaming, chatting, and accessing stuff we want to read or listen to?
    01-12-12 11:40 AM
    Party pooper.
    Give it some time. It's an OS that has been public for 9 months. We can't expect it have everything right away. I never expected every developer to drop what they are doing and head over to an untested device. Hopefully most of your concerns will be addressed shortly though.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-12-12 11:55 AM
    You need the app "Perfect Man" available for the iFans. We have it on our other tablet.
    No need, there. My BB Torch vibrates (I hope I'm not being too subtle...)
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-12-12 11:59 AM
    Party pooper.
    Give it some time. It's an OS that has been public for 9 months. We can't expect it have everything right away. I never expected every developer to drop what they are doing and head over to an untested device. Hopefully most of your concerns will be addressed shortly though.
    Very much so. I was enjoying reading all the comments and laughing out loud to myself. I am still loving my Playbook. Had it since release and no regrets.
    01-12-12 01:12 PM
    Mine just plain refuses to do anything interesting.

Actually it also refuses to connect to my bluetooth audio devices, let me play scrabble (except on facebook which is impossible), talk to my family and friends on video calling through its fabulous camera and speakers unless i buy each of them a playbook, it refuses to correct my spelling or give me a google map solution that works so I'm using Nokia maps (WTF!). It also refuses to go to the top of my pictures folder which gets worse the more pictures i add. It also refuses to allow me to do a 'send to' item for anything I'm working on and refuses to get rid of blackberry messenger icons.

Guys who are you kidding here? We're all here because we bought one (at release for �550.00!) and if theres a lot of bleating going in it isnt because we are all bleaters it because we bought the best hardware and OS with Blackberry backing and have the best thing that does nothing interesting I've ever owned. Its like Ferrari built the best car ever but forgot to enter any races.

When I've finished typing this I'll put my PB down and pick up my ipod touch to Facetime or skype my family in the UK from this German hotel room. I'll then play some Scrabble moves (the most popular non-computer game style app for grown ups and kids alike). I'll then listen to the 2 audio books in the top 20 lists which I tried to buy on my playbook but ended up getting on i-tunes. I even tried Audible but theres no download manager so I had to use the ipod to get what id bought on the Playbook. Tomorrow when I arrive at the Airport I'll plug it into my Alpine car Audio (or stream it) to listen to music on the drive home. Oh and I'll probably do some stuff on my Bold 9900 I cant do too like WhatsApp and check my trip on Blackberry Travel.

Over Christmas outside work, I didnt bother picking up my Playbook. Whats the point? Its no fun. I bought my IOS5 powered ipod as a stopgap until the PB caught up but its an awfully long gap to stop!! And anyone who hated IOS4 (as i did) shouldnt knock the competition until they've tries 5 because its a quantum leap and the best February's update will do is bring it close with someone elses help via Android.

The Playbook design, functionality, bridge, screen, size etc.......all genius, the best, killer, etc. But whats the point if it doesnt do the basic stuff we want like streaming, chatting, and accessing stuff we want to read or listen to?
    So based on your objection that you can't video chat on PB without others having one ... does that mean you use Face Time with others who don't have Apple products?

I love how some people "object" to anything that is used within BB yet don't see a problem with Apple having always done the same thing! LMAO
    TinRobot likes this.
    01-12-12 01:17 PM
    There is a beer-fetching app. It's called Google Voice. Just text your kids.

"First one to bring Daddy a beer gets to keep surfing the web"
    Oooo now i wanna a baby makin app - I'll even PAY for it, IF it includes cuddling
    TinRobot and kbz1960 like this.
    01-12-12 01:33 PM
    Ok folks lets talk about what the mighty Playbook will not do. I hear constant whining about all the apps it won't run and all the things it won't do. And virtually all of the things I have heard have been a non-issue for me. So I am curious as to how many people are actually disappointed that they don't have Netflicks or some such.
    I mean really, who needs to pay to watch videos? Why would you? And, oh boo hoo it doesn't have a good twitter app. I don't Twit! Lack of apps? Give me a break. How many rip offs of Angry Birds do you need?
    Yeah there are a lot of things the PB won't do. It doesn't do holograms, it doesn't travel into the future and it won't fetch me a beer.
    Why the heck do I even own this thing? Except for the fact that it does everything I need in a tablet and in a convenient form factor. Except for the beer fetching. Sigh. Maybe in the next update?

Mine fails big time making Martini's
    01-12-12 01:38 PM
    Oooo now i wanna a baby makin app - I'll even PAY for it, IF it includes cuddling
    From some of the titles I've seen from the PIN sharing forums, I think BBM should work...
    CanadianThomas and Lhendr like this.
    01-12-12 01:38 PM
    Mine will finally play Angry Birds, but it still won't fart the way an iPad can.
    01-12-12 01:47 PM
    Yeah there are a lot of things the PB won't do. It doesn't do holograms, it doesn't travel into the future and it won't fetch me a beer.
    Sorry but I think you'll find OS 4.0 has a time travel app
    toodle pip
    Winston Churchill
    01-12-12 01:50 PM
    Mine will finally play Angry Birds, but it still won't fart the way an iPad can.
    Record yourself farting. Play back recording. Problem solved ;-)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-12-12 01:52 PM
    Record yourself farting. Play back recording. Problem solved ;-)
    Obviously, I'm not that technically inclined.
    01-12-12 03:31 PM
    So based on your objection that you can't video chat on PB without others having one ... does that mean you use Face Time with others who don't have Apple products?

I love how some people "object" to anything that is used within BB yet don't see a problem with Apple having always done the same thing! LMAO
    Your comparison between facetime and BB video calling is a valid one but there are a multitude of ways you can video call on other devices and across platforms which isn't an option on the Playbook. I have a multitude of tablets and computers and work with the stuff daily but the one i can do most on 24 hrs a day is the ipod. And it was the lack of options in my playbook that led me to impulse buy the ipod. I SOOO wish it was the Playbook but I'm not gonna stand on the Blackberry bridge (pun intended) saluting with waves lapping at my feet. Similarly I'm not going to to run with a thread that ridicules those who point out stuff it can't do, even if it admitedly has some comedic value.

Apols for the spelling mistakes.
    01-12-12 03:46 PM
    Your comparison between facetime and BB video calling is a valid one but there are a multitude of ways you can video call on other devices and across platforms which isn't an option on the Playbook. I have a multitude of tablets and computers and work with the stuff daily but the one i can do most on 24 hrs a day is the ipod. And it was the lack of options in my playbook that led me to impulse buy the ipod. I SOOO wish it was the Playbook but I'm not gonna stand on the Blackberry bridge (pun intended) saluting with waves lapping at my feet. Similarly I'm not going to to run with a thread that ridicules those who point out stuff it can't do, even if it admitedly has some comedic value.

Apols for the spelling mistakes.
    Ever try real portal or aol av?
    jimbo_hippo likes this.
    01-12-12 04:04 PM
    it won't fetch me a beer.
    are you sure? maybe you need to ask nicely
    01-12-12 04:04 PM
    No need, there. My BB Torch vibrates (I hope I'm not being too subtle...)
    Much too subtle. You need a bigger vibrator motor in your phone!
    01-12-12 04:11 PM
    Ever try real portal or aol av?
    I'll revisit reelportal and give it a try for adults. Seems to be better received than last time I looked. Not suitable for my kids as it is room based but worth a try. Cheers and thats me out of here to let the jokes continue.
    01-12-12 04:19 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD