Well the S*&T has hit the fan at my house...My daughter came home with a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0...on sale for $179.00... and she had the nerve, the nerve I tell you to say...thanks for getting me the PB 64GB but the Samsung can Blah Blah Blah....Anyway I'm going to check the specs on it to see what it can do...
    bitek likes this.
    04-29-13 06:57 PM
    Vigorously waiting for the result.
    04-29-13 07:16 PM
    Well the S*&T has hit the fan at my house...My daughter came home with a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0...on sale for $179.00... and she had the nerve, the nerve I tell you to say...thanks for getting me the PB 64GB but the Samsung can Blah Blah Blah....Anyway I'm going to check the specs on it to see what it can do...
    Well, when the Galaxy Tab 2 first came out. It was a lot more than $179. Just like how the PB has been discounted down to the sub $200 range last year.
    Technology changes very quickly. To really compare technology price points you have to buy them at the same time.
    greg_z likes this.
    04-29-13 07:18 PM
    Keep going, I think that you are going in right direction anyway
    04-29-13 07:22 PM
    in all honestly if i was to get android tablet it would be Nexus 7. Galaxy Tab 2 with 8Gb of onboard memory is laughable. Few bigger apps, few bigger games and Galaxy Tab 2 is done. Resolution is low,it does not have the lastest android os,cpu is just ok. Cheap, cheap looking tablet imo. I would not trade PB for it. Playbook is soon to get its 3rd lease on life with BB10. Then i tell you this "old" tablet will just blow away Samsung Tab 2 out of the water.
    greg_z likes this.
    04-29-13 07:23 PM
    You forget MicroSD storage, that lowly Tab 2 with 8GB onboard storage can also take a 64GB MicroSD card, which both the PB and Nexus 7 can't. It's a lot faster transferring data over proper USB or just the card instead of the Playbook's slow SMB-over-USB stupidity.

At least the Tab 2 and the upcoming Tab 3 can run the latest Android apps, not stuck with a stripped down Gingerbread runtime
    04-29-13 07:46 PM
    You forget MicroSD storage, that lowly Tab 2 with 8GB onboard storage can also take a 64GB MicroSD card, which both the PB and Nexus 7 can't. It's a lot faster transferring data over proper USB or just the card instead of the Playbook's slow SMB-over-USB stupidity.

At least the Tab 2 and the upcoming Tab 3 can run the latest Android apps, not stuck with a stripped down Gingerbread runtime
    1) MicroSDs are extremely slow and flimsy. My class 10 samsung does 4M/s on random read while my class 4 nokia does 5M/s.
    2) It isn't SMB-over-USB, It uses MTP which is the case with any modern android device following google's guidelines.
    3) Most apps support gingerbread as majority of android devices are still running gingerbread.

As for the looks, screen, speakers and overall experience, playbook beats the samsung tab outright.
    04-30-13 12:47 AM
    1) MicroSDs are extremely slow and flimsy. My class 10 samsung does 4M/s on random read while my class 4 nokia does 5M/s.
    That's fast enough for video and audio playback. If you want to record 1080p video to MicroSD, a good Class 10 card is enough.

2) It isn't SMB-over-USB, It uses MTP which is the case with any modern android device following google's guidelines.
    I meant the Playbook - it uses special drivers which emulate SMB over USB which is very slow. Android devices use either MSC or MTP.

3) Most apps support gingerbread as majority of android devices are still running gingerbread.
    A lot of apps are ICS only but Gingerbread compatibility is still there. The problem with the Playbook's Android runtime is that a lot of features have been disabled.
    brianatbb likes this.
    04-30-13 02:12 AM
    Waiting for OP's comparison...
    04-30-13 03:19 AM
    DITTO!

C
    05-01-13 08:33 AM
    The stock anroid is is crap when compared to qnx on pb.
    Having root u can enhance the android working and same is with pb qnx.
    (But pb has no root yet :banghead:
    Only advantage android has is its apps and being open source.
    05-01-13 10:49 AM
    Only option put her up for adoption.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-01-13 04:06 PM

I had a GTab2. It was a very good device, however, it isn't as easy as adding a MicroSD card. The GTab2 has a weird memory configuration where there is an internal memory partition that the device thinks is the primary MicroSD card. So, installed apps that use a MicroSD card to store data, actually store it in internal memory, not on the MicroSD card. That means that both apps and app data share the 8gb internal storage. The MicroSD card is only available for storing user added media like MP3s, or in my case, documents. At any rate, that's why I got rid of it and got a Nexus 7 32gb -- even though it doesn't have a MicroSD slot, it is way more usable as far as storage and app space than the GTab2.

By the way, I still have and use my Playbook and like it much better than any Android device. Unfortunately, it has fallen way behind in the applications that are available for it, even sideloaded.
    05-01-13 04:24 PM
    Had both Playbook all the way....

Adoption...

DIVORCE, make sure you get alimony for 16/18 years products rota based on you and any husband/wife/partner period of income, say 50% top 40% minimum for the same product rata period as provided.

Extention of any 16/18 year period should also be including any further education period/s where said defendant was not self supporting.

Should work out quite a purchase for you that Playbook, invest income in holidays, dinners and general me time till pro rata period ends hopefully near retirement care home time with no savings left lol
    05-01-13 04:53 PM
    Only advantage android has is its apps and being open source.
    Kinda like saying the only advantage primates have are opposable thumbs.
    05-01-13 05:03 PM
    The stock anroid is is crap when compared to qnx on pb.
    Mwa ha ha you're completely out of the galaxy !
    brianatbb likes this.
    05-01-13 08:44 PM

Your spirit is kind of charming, but your daughter didn't show "nerve", she made the obvious and normal choice, YOU are the excentric one. Don't insist by comparing your playbook with her Galaxy 2. The playbook is such a failure it just doesn't qualify for a comparison.

Except for speakers of course.
    05-01-13 08:48 PM
    Your spirit is kind of charming, but your daughter didn't show "nerve", she made the obvious and normal choice, YOU are the excentric one. Don't insist by comparing your playbook with her Galaxy 2. The playbook is such a failure it just doesn't qualify for a comparison.

Except for speakers of course.
    Why do you bother with this forum? The Playbook "failure" is more connected. with inability to sell at the original price point and coming out with operating system weaknesses which have been largely addressed. That being said the Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean is for many people a nice operating system. Don't know about the Galaxy Note 2 which I believe is ICS with a Samsung wrapper. I still like the Playbook but can see why some would prefer another Tablet. But characterizing such a choice as normal and obvious and castigating the OP?
    05-02-13 12:13 AM
    I had a GTab2. It was a very good device, however, it isn't as easy as adding a MicroSD card. The GTab2 has a weird memory configuration where there is an internal memory partition that the device thinks is the primary MicroSD card. So, installed apps that use a MicroSD card to store data, actually store it in internal memory, not on the MicroSD card. That means that both apps and app data share the 8gb internal storage. The MicroSD card is only available for storing user added media like MP3s, or in my case, documents. At any rate, that's why I got rid of it and got a Nexus 7 32gb -- even though it doesn't have a MicroSD slot, it is way more usable as far as storage and app space than the GTab2.

By the way, I still have and use my Playbook and like it much better than any Android device. Unfortunately, it has fallen way behind in the applications that are available for it, even sideloaded.
    Are you sure? Yes, that is the default, as on my galaxy S2, but you can also move them over to the sd card.
    05-02-13 12:15 AM
    Did she give back the 64GB Playbook? By the way how old is this "child"? Tell you were thinking about buying her a new car but since she doesn't like your choices maybe she ought to get her own. And of course you can cut her out of your will. Sounds like she is asserting her independence. Well I gave my grown up an HP Touchpad which she didn't like too much and is living out it's life as a clock. The BB Playbook was found to be much more useful but next time before I buy something I'm going to find out what is wanted.
    Shantanu Gupta likes this.
    05-02-13 01:11 AM
    Mwa ha ha you're completely out of the galaxy !
    I am a time traveller.
    And I hate android because aliens ,in next 50 years for u, will hack our android space ships because of its crap architecture and speed and destroy our home planed.
    I have warned u in advance. Beware of ASKITONS the aliens.
    FF22, disallow and beamolite like this.
    05-02-13 06:31 AM
    Are you sure? Yes, that is the default, as on my galaxy S2, but you can also move them over to the sd card.
    Yep, I'm sure. Yes, you can copy things from internal memory to the MicroSD card, but you can't move applications or application data there and run it from the card. There were people working on all sorts of work-arounds (repartitioning, pointing the OS to the SD card instead of internal memory, etc.) that were mostly ineffective. Since I use my devices for business, I wasn't willing to spend the time to try or risk loss of data or functionality. It was easier to buy a Nexus 7.
    05-02-13 09:33 PM
    Well I checked out my daughters SGT 2 7.0 and I'm not giving up my PB any time soon. But she is definitely out of the will now...While checking out her Tab I stumbled across the new Galaxy Note 8.0 and brought it home, WOW is all I can say...Will report here soon...
    05-07-13 08:03 PM
    this is pathetic. how can you compare our lameduck tablet with latest android tablet? playbook is now obsolete..with or without hope of getting bb10. we're still in 2.0.1526 or thereabout. even reading pdf is slow as limping snail, bogged down most of the time.
    daglesj and robitaille93 like this.
    05-09-13 02:14 AM
    Yeah my Playbook has fallen from use. It just sits on the dock on my desk doing nothing.

Since I got a Nexus 4 and a 11" Samsung Chromebook I now have two devices that are far better supported and for me far more usable. No chequerboard browsing either! Yayyyyy

I would take the Galaxy over the Playbook if nothing else for the synced Chrome account.
    05-09-13 04:39 AM
28 12