Hey,

I've been on the look-out for a tablet since May 2011. I tried to read a lot of reviews to get some ideas and general information. But you can't really beat a real-life experience can you?

So I went to some shops but they weren't really to keen about letting me play around with the tablets. They could "show me". But that's not the same thing.

Then a colleague just got back from the US and was showing off his new Ipad 2. I asked if I could give it a go and I played around with it.
    It worked really good. No lag, GUI was fluid etc. BUT it didn't impress me. I didn't get that feeling that I really needed to go and get it NOW. Instead I felt like: Hmm I've seen this before. And hey wait thats the same as on my 3Gs. Wait a minute this is EXACTLY like my 3Gs. No wait this is my sisters IPOD but X-times bigger. Yeah thats it. So nope this wasn't the one I was getting.

So I kept looking. And then I saw a review of the PB. I think it was on soldier knows best.
    The OS looks pretty slick. Damn that gesture thing seems nice. OMG did he just threw that app away to close it? Power button sucks, Nah he's got fat fingers :-)). I need to test one NOW!

But here in Belgium I couldn't test it. It wasn't available in stores. Damn you RIM. Always leaving my country out. Even BB7 devices still aren't available through regular retail channels. Except for the occasional webshops with their ridiculous pricing.

Couple of weeks later I drove to Amsterdam to visit some friends. And while we were walking in the city we walked past a tech store and I saw some PB publicity. So I rushed in, leaving my friends outside without any explanation.

I walked up to a salesperson and asked if I could test a PB. He said what? A PB I replied. You know, the tablet by RIM. RIM? Yeah RIM, the company that manufactures blackberry's. Ow you mean the tablet by blackberry? Yeah whatever that one. Didn't want to explain him that blackberry is made by RIM etc. :-) He should know this stuff, he works in that store LoL.

So he gave it to me and I started playing around. Using gestures, multitasking, swiping for the options, closing apps. So easy. Like I already owned one for years. It even got the guys attention. He's like damn I didn't know it could do that. I even explained him that you can connect it to an LCD screen, play a movie and do other stuff on the tablet in the meantime.
    HD recording, ...

I was hooked on the machine. I wanted one NOW !!!. But damn the price. 550�. Thats 792$ at the time. I couldn't afford that. So I told him I would think about it and left the store a little dissappointed. Another month past and I saw the staples 100$ coupon. 599$ - 100$ = 499$ ==> 350�. Wow thats a 200� difference. I need to get it. Lucky me, one of my American friends was flying back to Europe end of August. So I called her up and asked to get me one. I sent her the coupon and wired her the money.

After she got it I skyped with her and did some testing to see if everything was fine. I have another thread about it somewhere here in the forum asking for things to look out for.

So last week I finally got my PB. Really excited. Like a real kid :-). Heart bouncing through my chest. I unboxed it and immediately gave it a go.

Let me tell you it was worth the wait. It does everything I expect it to do. Really love the way it works.

Tested Bridge with my 9800. Nice freaking job there RIM. You should give the guy who came up with this a huge bonus. BB just stays in my pocket. No config needed after the first pairing. It just works :-) ... So cool I don't have to pay extra to surf on the thing while away from wifi networks.

Showed it off at work to my Ipad using colleague. He used it for 2 hrs. He had nothing but positive things to say. So easy to work with. When returning to his Ipad I saw him trying to touch the bezel a couple of times to use gestures :-). He's seriously considering to sell his Ipad 2 and get a PB.

He was also really amazed by the fact you can switch between apps and close them without a button. Offcourse he gave the usual lack of apps remarks. But to be honest. I own a Torch and an Iphone 3Gs. And I have a max of 10 on each which I really use.

The browsing experience is nice. With or without flash. Sometimes a site takes a little longer to load but no problem there. At least it's way better then on my torch.

I had some friends (some are really tech noobs if I may add) use the PB as well. It was so easy for them to use. They were hooked immediately and asked where they could get one. Hinting for gifts on anniversaries :-p

Let me tell you I'm really happy with the thing. And there are still some cool stuff to come.

Cheers,

Delil
    09-08-11 01:45 PM
    That is an awesome story! I can sense your enjoyment through the tubes ;-)
    09-08-11 01:54 PM
    Cool story, thanks for sharing, happy PlayBook'n.

Hopefully by the time the new gadget lust wears off os 2.0 will be out. It wont take you long to notice the slick os is only skin deep and obvious productive features are missing. Fingers crossed you wont have to wait as long as the early adopters.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 02:07 PM
    hiya mate hows things?where u from in belgium?are u belgian?.....
    09-08-11 02:37 PM

Hopefully by the time the new gadget lust wears off os 2.0 will be out. It wont take you long to notice the slick os is only skin deep and obvious productive features are missing. Fingers crossed you wont have to wait as long as the early adopters.

Great story! I know the feeling as I also recently got my PlayBook and it still amazes me (even if it is lacking in certain area's), and I am anticipating the PB to be even better and more impressive with the update.
    malcerie likes this.
    09-08-11 03:39 PM
    "I don't have to pay extra to surf on the thing while away from wifi networks"

Please explain this comment. Thanks!

malcerie likes this.
    09-08-11 03:52 PM
    "I don't have to pay extra to surf on the thing while away from wifi networks"

Please explain this comment. Thanks!

When he's using the bridge feature, it is essentially using the BB's phone data plan.

Some carriers charge extra if you use the tether feature instead of bridge.
    09-08-11 03:59 PM
    good Story
    Europe Prices are really silly Its on sale in Uk �399! = ipad2 price = Hard Times for RIM, is that a surprise? I dont think so...
    There should be a small Price difference over ipad2, �250 to �299 is just right price for 16gb model...
    By That way Much more people had a chance to have one and see how good is this little thing

@Delil
    You should buy HDMI cable NOW!!!
    09-08-11 05:57 PM
    When he's using the bridge feature, it is essentially using the BB's phone data plan.

Wow! Yet another reason to get a playbook! At $299 or less, of course!

09-08-11 07:11 PM
    great story... i never owned anything by rim and never planned to. nothing against them. i just stuck with what i know. anyways, to make a long story short i did some traveling for work and helped develop a new project team... 2 weeks later the boss called me in and presented me with a 32gb playbook as his token of appreciation. needless to say i was shocked and fell in love with this device... cant wait for 2.0
    malcerie likes this.
    09-08-11 07:39 PM
    Great love story .

Think this should be sticked and people post their stories?

My story:

2011, the year of the tablets. I really wanted a tablet, specially for my ebooks reading, surfing, and knowing that my internship starts in August, and i will have countless hours of bus time, like 4+hrs a day. Im goung to die in that time! and not to mention waste it.

By around May i had to go back home in UAE for something for a week and come back to Malaysia to continue my semester, ive already started saving for a tablet by then.

I was of course very confused what to get, luckily when I went back home, my sister had an iPad 1 and ive used that thing extensively for about 5 days, as if it was my own, shes not vey big on using it and was very busy that time, so i loaded my data from my mac on it and everything, jailbroken it, used a lot of the apps on it, got bored eventually, was too much to carry out with me and stopped using it, thats when I knew iPad isnt going to cut it for me, it started to really feel like a giant ipod. and im kot a big fan of Apple devices either, hate their policies, love their Mac OSX 10.6 (not 10.7, its terrible).

So hail the Playbook. 7in, portable, uber fast(not really but for its class yes), works very well with my blackberry, doesnt have annoying Apple policies on it. Perfect, the video online were enough to convince me the Playbook is a much superior device, or at least has the potential, and my imagination had it fit well in my daily life.

Now the big problem was GETTING one and getting it ASAP. i was hoping i could play with it on the flight back to Malaysia, 6hrs. I had less that 20hrs in the country and 3 quarters of the ppl had no clue what a playbook is. I knew it wasnt coming anytime soon, not UAE, not Malaysia, so i had to reside to other solutions like ebay. Then I remembered my friend told me he got his guitar from souq.com, some site like ebay but local to UAE, so i gave it a try and voila! PB 16gb going for 460$ ! Not bad i thought! checked over and over for legibility, it checks out fine! by now i had about 3hours to leave the house for the airport :O. I started thinking, i really wanted this baby, so I picked my phone, called my friend who was gonna drop me at the airport, told him I need him to do me a favor, told him I'd make arrangement wih the guy whos selling the playbook and asked him to pick it up before coming to my place! he was ready for the job, i called the guy (he had his number listed), spoke to him, agreed to meet my friend somewhere nearby(but damn traffic). ofc i told him im flying in less than 6hrs and he was ready to work around that time. Phoned my friend, gave him the details and the waiting game begins, worst game ever cause the many changing variables and fuss of me flying out after a year of being out.

clock ticks, an hour passed, called the PB guy, he said his guy whos bring th PB to him is going to be late, about 2.3hrs left to leave the house, said okay and waited, in the mean time ran around finishing my packing to my single plane bag, checking in online to save me time on the airport and go as late as possible.

Clock ticks, 1.5 hours left to leave the house, called the PB guy, and agreed to meet at a parking lot very near and on the way to the airport. called my friend and calles him over, while multi tasking like a playbook, eating my last momma meal in another year or so, formatting the ipad and restoring it to the previous condition and dressing up and hustling on any goodies i could pick from home lol.

Friends arrive, clock ticks, flight is in abot 3hours, have to be at th airport an hour and a half before that so that gives it about 1.5 - 2hrs to get there, mind you traffic too. wave your goodbyes KQ and hop on into that car. made one call in the car to confirm everything and they he said hes at the parking lot, told him am on my way.

Clock still damn ticks, it was a race against time now, got to the location, identified the dudes carit was a shady looking car lol), stopped by, he came out with a sexy black box, lowered the car window and received this baby in my hands and i was thrilled already , gave him the cash, and woosh. Gone!! If he wanted to he could have easily ripped me off, on the way there i wanted to show off a bit, i unboxed it in a weird situation, took that thing out and i was in love! felt so nice on the hand, size was perfect! So i hit that darn button, red light flash, next thing i know i need wifi to activate -_-. bummer i thought heres manu free wifis at the airport .

unfortunatly got to the airport, no i didnt miss my flight but rather had no time to activate it, needed to download a freaking 350mb update :/. bummed me out, and it turned into torture, i was looking for a wifi everywhere, even on the plane LoL. btw i arrived at about 40mins or so before the flight, i checked in online and had 1 plane bag so it wasnt that hard. Now another waiting game begings, 6hrs on the plane, with a PB and all i can do is marvel at its beauty lol. lie a forbidden blackberry!

good news thought is that i got it working, and it works beatifully, been loving and using this thing eversince, and funniest thing i could say is my ipad friends who try to bezel swipe on their ipads LOL. thats like trying to touchpad swipe gesture on a windows laptop after using a macbook pro. And yes I'm typing this from my playbook in portrait mode (its easier) on my internship spending 2hours on the way to the office in the morning. so excuse the huge number of spelling and casing mistakes, this baby still doesnt fix that for me but thats alright .
    malcerie, noke60 and Delil like this.
    09-08-11 08:34 PM
    That is an awesome story! I can sense your enjoyment through the tubes ;-)
    Enjoyment is an understatement ;-)

Actually I knew exactly what was lacking on the device when I decided to get it. Would be cool to get those features but not really an issue for me.

hiya mate hows things?where u from in belgium?are u belgian?.....
    Hey,

I'm living in Brussels. Originally from Genk (yes we are the national soccer champion, and yes we play the uefa champions league :-p)

Exactly. The bridge feature let's you use your existing blackberry dataplan to acces the internet through your playbook.

great story... i never owned anything by rim and never planned to. nothing against them. i just stuck with what i know. anyways, to make a long story short i did some traveling for work and helped develop a new project team... 2 weeks later the boss called me in and presented me with a 32gb playbook as his token of appreciation. needless to say i was shocked and fell in love with this device... cant wait for 2.0
    Now you know how I felt when I had the thing in my hand :-)

Great love story .

Think this should be sticked and people post their stories?
    Sure why not. But you went through some real hassle to get the device. Risking your flight. That's some crazy shiznit !!!
    Glad to see you're enjoying it. And Ipad friends and bezel swipe is hilarious. hehe

cheers
    09-08-11 08:59 PM
    I don't own a cell phone of any kind but I bought the PB because it suites my individual needs. What's up with that!

My name is NOT Joe , but "I AM CANADIAN"!

I am .... Lets say ... a retired Baby Boomer, and still appreciate the simplicity of a "Rotary dial phone". Navigating this thing makes me smile "COS ITS SO EASY". Jeeze! I even downloaded an HD video from Youtube!, How crazy is that!

I like to read the the forums, because hopefully RIM will heed some of the criticisms. However, I have solved several MINOR issues just by researching these forums. There are some awesome tecky individuals who just willingly open their expertise to share with everyone. For this, personally, I am ever greatfull.

If you bought a Playbook and don't like it, return it or sell it. Quit whining.

If you don't own one and just want to snivel, get the H**L out of Dodge and let real users discuss pertinent issues.

If you want the NEXT generation of tablets TODAY. Love the Playbook!

If you bought one and have issues you need answers for, then these forums are for us.
    bayotte and Delil like this.
    09-08-11 09:31 PM
    Good stories everyone! Can you not feel the passion? l'm all for the positive vibes people.
    Delil likes this.
    09-08-11 10:20 PM
    Great story!
    Delil likes this.
    09-08-11 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD