07-08-12 12:18 PM
28 12
tools
    Hi erverybody, I have my PB since about a month. After charging it over night it seems to be fully charged. Today I tested it how long the battery will work and after only 12 hours it is nearly empty. For the test I didn't work with it the hole day.
    I have deleted all appsthat I have installed additional. Only the standard apps are on the PB. The Wifi was on. I Have configured the synchronisation for the calender, the e-mails and the contacts with my google account but the synchronisation starts manually.

Anybudy who has a tipp why it only works so short. At the first time the PB has worked for more than 2 days!

Is it defect?

Thanks for your answers!
    06-26-12 01:43 PM
    There is/was a bug with manual sync. Try setting your email to sync automatically.
    06-26-12 01:49 PM
    I would say that's more than that. I notice that wifi drains battery like crazy, even when it's idle. RIM needs to fix this ASAP!
    06-26-12 02:01 PM
    might be just u guys, I leave mine on 24/7 and charge around 2 times a week.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook #BeBold 2012
    06-26-12 02:10 PM
    As I posted in another thread this morning, I left mine on last night with the battery saying it was at 0. Wifi was left on with 1 app running. This morning it was still on @ 9. 30 mins later it shut off. I have my sync set to auto also.
    06-26-12 02:21 PM
    If you dont USE your PB, put wifi OFF !! Than it will run a lot longer (about 24-32hrs while using)
    06-26-12 02:41 PM
    Get Battery Guru to help trace the problem. Turn off apps and services one at a time and give Battery Guru a couple of minutes to get a good power usage rate. If all this fails turn off and reboot. Keep trying. If you have to call in RIM notes and data should help.
    06-26-12 02:43 PM
    My WI-FI stays off most of the time, but then I use my PB mostly for reading Kindle books. Have to charge mine only every few days or so.
    06-26-12 02:49 PM
    It IS THE MANUAL email sync. As mentioned, it is a bad bug. I lost about 45% overnight when I first established a native email that was on Manual sync.

I leave both wifi and bt on all of the time and overnight I lose a few percentage points - so I don't worry about it.
    06-26-12 03:15 PM
    Get Battery Guru to help trace the problem. Turn off apps and services one at a time and give Battery Guru a couple of minutes to get a good power usage rate. If all this fails turn off and reboot. Keep trying. If you have to call in RIM notes and data should help.
    Question. How do you trace the problem in Battery Guru? I have it installed, but within the app I do not get a lot info on tracing and which app the battery thief is. Do you have to export it to CSV to analyze and find the culprit?
    06-26-12 03:25 PM
    Having a weak wifi signal doesn't help.
    06-26-12 03:31 PM
    If the wifi signal is up and down all the time, the battery will be run down. Also if it is looking for a bluetooth connection, it could also run the battery down.
    I have left my PlayBook on all night, charger disconnected with 100% and nine hours later the battery is at 97%. It makes no difference whether the wifi is on or not. The results are the same. I have tested this numerous times, same results.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-26-12 04:09 PM
    Bluetooth kills my PlayBook faster than anything else just like Bridge kills my 9930. Rule of thumb if your not using it switch it off but leave PlayBook in stand by.
    06-26-12 04:17 PM
    I would say that's more than that. I notice that wifi drains battery like crazy, even when it's idle. RIM needs to fix this ASAP!
    You can read several threads on this, but on several PBs using Battery Guru to monitor, it's been concluded that as long as there is a good signal, wifi has a minimal draw on the PB. On my work PB, wifi is on all day and it has little effect on the battery drain.
    06-26-12 04:28 PM
    If the wifi signal is up and down all the time, the battery will be run down. Also if it is looking for a bluetooth connection, it could also run the battery down.
    I have left my PlayBook on all night, charger disconnected with 100% and nine hours later the battery is at 97%. It makes no difference whether the wifi is on or not. The results are the same. I have tested this numerous times, same results.
    Same...............................
    06-26-12 04:33 PM
    I get 5 hours of continuous use. Standby time is pretty iffy; mine has significant drain overnight on standby so I always put it on airplane mode. I don't lose any charge on airplane mode.
    06-26-12 04:48 PM
    The idea on using Battery Guru was that you could discover if a particular app was causing trouble by shutting that app down and observing change in PB power usage using Battery Guru. Thus Battery Guru can help in the process of elimination - it does not tell you what the power usage of an individual process. Perhaps a good first step would be to put the PB in airplane mode for a number of hours. That should help in determining if wifi or bluetooth was a factor. Unfortunately some apps apparently do not shut down cleanly.
    06-26-12 05:17 PM
    The screen is one of the largest drains on the battery. If you can, turn the brightness down.
    06-26-12 06:54 PM
    i deleted my email accounts (gmail for personal & exchange for work) from the messages app and my battery standby life improved from 14 to 40+ hours. i started checking my gmail through the web browser and downloaded the android email app (converted from apk) for work emails. i'm gonna try reusing the messages app with the update settings to push or some other automated interval and see if the battery life doesn't suck again.
    06-26-12 07:38 PM
    Mine is only 4 days old but I can't get more than 5 hours out of it, this is another area the ipad kills it my ipad 2 with crazy heavy use will run 10 hours easy and standby is out of the question as soon as I'm not using either one they are back on the charger to be ready at all times!

Using it in Gps mode in my truck I have lost 35% in 25 mins, it pretty much has to have constant power which is fine by me, it would be nice to get 6-7 hours though one less cable to deal with in my truck!
    Something definitely wrong there. If you can't isolate that drain to anything in particular I would take it back and replace. That drain is way excessive for normal use. My wife's PB will stay easily within an hour of her iPad2 performing the same functions. If you can't standby for days without a charge, swap it.
    06-26-12 07:50 PM
    Mine is only 4 days old but I can't get more than 5 hours out of it, this is another area the ipad kills it my ipad 2 with crazy heavy use will run 10 hours easy and standby is out of the question as soon as I'm not using either one they are back on the charger to be ready at all times!

Using it in Gps mode in my truck I have lost 35% in 25 mins, it pretty much has to have constant power which is fine by me, it would be nice to get 6-7 hours though one less cable to deal with in my truck!
    Your description of your truck installation in another thread is quite detailed and interesting. Losing 35% in 25 minutes figures out to about 16.8 watts. Since your PB is new perhaps your battery calibration is not accurate. The PB battery is rated at only 19.95 watt-hrs and under most people's use will get only about 6 hours steady use between charges. Suggest Battery Guru from BB app store to get better data on your in truck battery depletion rates. How did your iPad work out as a navigation aid?
    06-26-12 08:02 PM
    I leave WiFi on and it barely uses any battery. It lasts for at least 2 weeks in standby, perhaps more.
    06-26-12 08:07 PM
    Update: I called and questioned the computer guys where I bought it from and they said8-10 hours avg use on wifi and to bring it in and swap it so I did, now setting up my 2nd playbook will update with battery life tommorow night and see what the new one does!
    I've been streaming sirus and for the past 5 hours. The screen has been on about 25% of that time. All via bridge and I'm down about 30%.
    You can definitely do better then that first report.

By the way, I don't turn off wifi or bluetooth anymore. I don't see any difference.
    06-26-12 09:31 PM
    OK that's it!! I'm changing my sig to....
    06-27-12 12:10 AM
    Update: I called and questioned the computer guys where I bought it from and they said8-10 hours avg use on wifi and to bring it in and swap it so I did, now setting up my 2nd playbook will update with battery life tommorow night and see what the new one does!

Thanks to everyone for all the help, I know a bit about this stuff but am by no means an expert!
    Eight to ten hours avg use with wifi!!! Please come back and tell us about it when you achieve this and also tell us what you consider average use and what the screen brightness setting is.
    The question about iPad2 navigation use was serious. I understand that iPad2 can be used for this purpose although you might have to purchase a dongle to get better GPS. I also was wondering what kind of load that would put on the iPad battery. Also would you please tell us what app you are using with the Playbook for maps? I can understand the need to worry about theft - from the comment about saw and drill battery sounds like you are a professional and have high quality equipment.
    06-27-12 12:21 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD