I have 3 different BB chargers and a rapid charger.. none of them are working. Tried the stack charging thing, still not working. Red light comes on, then it blinks green/yellow 5 times and stays off. Sometimes the battery icon with the bolt shows up and goes away.
    06-25-12 08:44 PM
    Did you try the stack charging method where you unplug as soon as the red light goes out then plug back in? You can unplug and plug from the wall to make it easier. You should use the charger that came with the PB I think. As long as it's working.
    If you're getting that icon you should be close.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-25-12 08:54 PM
    Are you saying that you let the battery drain completely? If so, you have to plug it in and leave it alone for a couple of hours.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-25-12 08:55 PM
    Try this link here. The light sequence they reference seems to match yours.

PlayBook Guide: Red light and then green blinking light (PlayBook won�t power on)
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-25-12 08:59 PM
    Are you saying that you let the battery drain completely? If so, you have to plug it in and leave it alone for a couple of hours.
    I let it charge for 2 days.. this is the third day now
    06-25-12 09:03 PM
    I let it charge for 2 days.. this is the third day now
    What the user above posted. Make sure you use the factory supplied cord.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-25-12 09:07 PM
    What the user above posted. Make sure you use the factory supplied cord.
    I am using the supplied cord
    06-25-12 09:23 PM
    Well, if you are using the corded wall charger that folds up, this doesn't look good.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-25-12 09:28 PM
    I'm quoting from the above link because the first few sentences are only about the charger.

"Please ensure that you have Desktop Software 6.0.2 B45 or higher running on your PC > Connect your device to the PC via USB cable (connect it directly and do not use a USB hub) > Open the Desktop Software and see if it detects your device (otherwise press the power button for 10 seconds and it should detect the device) > Once detected you will get a prompt and select the middle option the upgrade > your firmware will then be reloaded (this also sets everything back to factory) > Once completed disconnect your device from the USB and then connect it the power charger supplied with the device > Within a few minutes it should automatically turn on."

That seemed to work for the poster in the link. Obviously the desktop software should be the latest available.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-25-12 09:29 PM
    There ought to be a perpetual my playbook won't charge thread. The same info gets repeated over and over. Seems like most of the time the problem is solvable. Maybe Blackberry ought to issue a memo to everybody giving the standard procedure for solving this problem. Easy enough to do by email. By the way has anyone ever got an unsolicited cheer up old chaps better days are coming and we appreciate your support message?
    06-25-12 09:31 PM
    I'm quoting from the above link because the first few sentences are only about the charger.

"Please ensure that you have Desktop Software 6.0.2 B45 or higher running on your PC > Connect your device to the PC via USB cable (connect it directly and do not use a USB hub) > Open the Desktop Software and see if it detects your device (otherwise press the power button for 10 seconds and it should detect the device) > Once detected you will get a prompt and select the middle option the upgrade > your firmware will then be reloaded (this also sets everything back to factory) > Once completed disconnect your device from the USB and then connect it the power charger supplied with the device > Within a few minutes it should automatically turn on."

That seemed to work for the poster in the link. Obviously the desktop software should be the latest available.
    It just says please plug in the device.
    06-25-12 09:32 PM
    and now it has miraculously turned itself on. What the
    Toodeurep likes this.
    06-25-12 09:37 PM
    I have 3 different BB chargers and a rapid charger.. none of them are working. Tried the stack charging thing, still not working. Red light comes on, then it blinks green/yellow 5 times and stays off. Sometimes the battery icon with the bolt shows up and goes away.
    Check to make sure you have the USB connection of the charger, plugged into the PB the correct way... (it is very hard to see).. the USB port on the PB is in the middle.... I say this because....

I have made the error in the past of trying to plug it in the wrong port (HDMI), and when I realized this, switched to the middle port and got the USB connector upside down! Yikes!!
    This is when I rushed right out and got the Wall Rapid Charger with the magnetic end! No more being a dumbsh!t for me! LOL
    I can now connect the charger to the PB in the dark and not worry about it ...
    Last edited by jafobabe; 06-25-12 at 09:43 PM.
    06-25-12 09:40 PM
    Well, good for you - I'd be unable to sleep if mine had done that. BTW it's somewhat odd to nitpick at someone who's spent the last little while trying to be of some help. Maybe it's just me. Whatever....
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-25-12 09:47 PM
    and now it has miraculously turned itself on. What the
    Is this were we all say.... Hal-A-Loo-Ya ??
    Last edited by jafobabe; 06-25-12 at 11:03 PM.
    06-25-12 10:59 PM
    i was delighted to find a thread that discussed how the Lithium batteries 'dont like" being completely discharged and then did the stack charging method that was advised, but I also cannot get the red light to stay on for more than 15 sec ( an improvement form previously only being on 5sec)

Tomorrow I will try stack charging only for as long as light remians on ( before I did it 2 min connected, then 2 min off)

1) in the meantime should I leave it connected?

2) I will also try to see if it is recognized by computer

3) if above fails should I give up? return to RIM ??

thank you so much
    06-25-12 11:16 PM
    1) If the PB is charging and turned off the LED will pulse a green color and stay solid when fully charged. If your not getting that then there probably is no point in leaving it on the charger. It wouldn't hurt anything either.

3) If you can't get it going RIM will fix it. The two stack charging methods are about all we can do as consumers to fix it.

When the PB shuts down on its own the batteries aren't really depleted. The PB, like most modern electronics using lithium, is designed to shut down well before the batteries die.
    06-25-12 11:56 PM
    Mom:

Try the stack charge faster interval as the red light goes off UNPLUG, wait an interval, replug, red light, etc....

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    06-25-12 11:57 PM
    1) If the PB is charging and turned off the LED will pulse a green color and stay solid when fully charged. If your not getting that then there probably is no point in leaving it on the charger. It wouldn't hurt anything either.

3) If you can't get it going RIM will fix it. The two stack charging methods are about all we can do as consumers to fix it.

When the PB shuts down on its own the batteries aren't really depleted. The PB, like most modern electronics using lithium, is designed to shut down well before the batteries die.
    Thank u !!!
    06-26-12 12:09 AM
    Mom:

Try the stack charge faster interval as the red light goes off UNPLUG, wait an interval, replug, red light, etc....

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    Will do thanx !
    06-26-12 12:10 AM
    Check out this RIM knowledgebase article for more info on the matter

KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook Power - Battery charge and discharge characteristics
    jpash549 likes this.
    06-26-12 12:09 PM
    Thanks for the useful reference. Anyone with charging problems should read this.
    06-26-12 02:56 PM
    I wish that KB article mentioned the Rapid/Dock chargers and if they could be used.
    06-26-12 03:26 PM
    I wish that KB article mentioned the Rapid/Dock chargers and if they could be used.
    "The optional 12 volt(rapid)chargers are faster than the USB chargers so the charge time should be approximately 3-4 hrs."

Not sure if they mean the actual rapid charger or if they are referring to the stock PB charger.. Seems a little misworded.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    06-26-12 07:32 PM
    My PB went down to zero and shut down while riding home on the bus today. THen it got VERY hot. Home now - trying to charge it with the wall charger. Red light comes on and then nothing else..... ideas? Should I just wait it out???? Thanks!
    08-10-12 07:34 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD