I am a day one Playbook owner. If you go back and read what I have written about Playbook over the last ten months here on Crackberry, you will see that I have been very vocal about how unhappy I was with RIM and Playbook. After the last major delay, I decided to just stop with all the comments and see what OS2 was like. There was no use in beating that drum. RIM screwed up and there was no amount of complaining that was going to make OS2 come any faster.

I have been using OS2 since it was released. I used the betas before that. I have been through every evolutionary step and tried every upgrade that was ever released. I know the device pretty well.

What do I think? The thought that comes to mind is that I wish Playbook was like this when it was released. I am very happy with it. I don't know if RIM is going to survive or if Playbook will ever be successful. If RIM fails and Playbook is written off, it will be a shame. With OS2 we finally see RIM's vision of how the tablet and smartphone should work together. This is a unique experience that you can't get from Apple or Android. I think that if RIM was starting with a clean slate, this message might get out. As it is, there is so much baggage that I wonder if anyone will see it. Again, to me, this is really cool.

I am writing this on my Playbook but using my 9900's keyboard. I opened Crackberry on my phone and then used the "open on Playbook" feature on the 9900's browser. I love the integration! This kind of stuff is a practical solution that increases productivity. Reviewers (who find every reason to trash RIM) don't seem to appreciate that these tools are important and you can only get them from RIM.

Now, we can finally open pictures and music over the Bridge. This is genuinely useful and unique stuff.

The PIM apps are about what I expected. FINALLY! I have all my email and contacts on Playbook. Playbook's LED is being used for its intended purpose. Halle-fricken-leujah. RIM did a nice job with this. It should never have taken this long though. I had to say it.

Apps. Most of the reviews that I read say something like OS2 is nice but AppWorld is a barren wasteland. I don't think this is very fair even if the reviewers have a point. I am happy with the selection of games. There are well known gaps. Why doesn't RIM work these things out? It kind of makes me crazy (still) that there is no Netflix, Slingbox, or Skype. There are a few others missing too. Fill the gaps! The truth is that most Apps stink. The Android Market and Apple's Appstore are filled with hundreds of thousands of apps that nobody wants and a few hundred that people do. Get the good apps!

Oh, the browser remains the best mobile browser on the planet. This is very important even if I am not writing much about it. I read one review that suggested that Safari was better because it spares the user the horror of being exposed to Flash ads. Gimme a break. The web is the web. I want to see it, warts and all. I don't need a crippled browser to tell me what I don't need to see.

So, I finally feel like Playbook is a useful tool that demonstrates a unique and, I think, great approach to mobile communication. You can only get this from RIM. I wish I could say for sure that this is enough to save Playbook and ultimately save RIM. You have to pay for your mistakes. I hope it does because I see where RIM is going and I really like it.
    02-28-12 08:56 AM
    Oh, the browser remains the best mobile browser on the planet. This is very important even if I am not writing much about it. I read one review that suggested that Safari was better because it spares the user the horror of being exposed to Flash ads. Gimme a break. The web is the web. I want to see it, warts and all. I don't need a crippled browser to tell me what I don't need to see.
    I laugh when people say this. You can turn off Flash on the PlayBook if you'd like. That is whey I never understood why Apple wouldn't at least give their users the option of seeing Flash content.
    02-28-12 09:09 AM
    Lawmanguy, I have wondered where you have been my friend. I am glad to see you gave up but didn't give up on the Playbook. I remember all to well some of the posts you and I went back and forth on.

Nice review on the PB, I'm glad you like the OS2 update and just think, it will only get better. I was one of the few that despite the delays, knew that the PB would put an Awe in people's mouths when it was released. And just think, this is only the second revision. Wait for some bigger updates in the near future
    02-28-12 09:22 AM
    I am a day one Playbook owner. If you go back and read what I have written about Playbook over the last ten months here on Crackberry, you will see that I have been very vocal about how unhappy I was with RIM and Playbook. After the last major delay, I decided to just stop with all the comments and see what OS2 was like. There was no use in beating that drum. RIM screwed up and there was no amount of complaining that was going to make OS2 come any faster.
    <snipped>
    Welcome back, and good write-up.
    I wish more members here had taken your level headed approach to just wait and see what comes.
    02-28-12 09:45 AM
    Welcome back, and good write-up.
    I wish more members here had taken your level headed approach to just wait and see what comes.
    Level headed? You have me confused with someone else. I was really mad about what happened. I guess that RIM apologized for the delays, so how can you stay mad?

That is the past. I'm very happy with Playbook now.
    02-28-12 09:51 AM
    Lawmanguy, I have wondered where you have been my friend. I am glad to see you gave up but didn't give up on the Playbook. I remember all to well some of the posts you and I went back and forth on.

Nice review on the PB, I'm glad you like the OS2 update and just think, it will only get better. I was one of the few that despite the delays, knew that the PB would put an Awe in people's mouths when it was released. And just think, this is only the second revision. Wait for some bigger updates in the near future
    I'm glad someone missed me.

Playbook is what it should have been. I think we'll see some improvements but I think we are where we should be.

I'd still like DLNA and maybe an HDMI dock like we saw in leaked pictures a few weeks ago. The main priority is to get that handful of missing key apps.
    02-28-12 10:05 AM
    What is the best thing that OS2 brought to the PB? I see a lot of people raving about the ability to remotely control it with their BB phone. Well most people don't have BB phone, so how does this help with sales? Besides, I bought a table to be a tablet, not to have another device attached to it. I did bridge my BB phone and you know what? Meh, nothing to brag to my peers about. What's new in OS2 that will get people to buy? Nada. RIM doesn't need OS3, all it needs are the apps. A tablet without good apps is like a person without a soul. Give me some soul d@mmit.
    02-28-12 10:53 AM
    What is the best thing that OS2 brought to the PB? I see a lot of people raving about the ability to remotely control it with their BB phone. Well most people don't have BB phone, so how does this help with sales? Besides, I bought a table to be a tablet, not to have another device attached to it. I did bridge my BB phone and you know what? Meh, nothing to brag to my peers about. What's new in OS2 that will get people to buy? Nada. RIM doesn't need OS3, all it needs are the apps. A tablet without good apps is like a person without a soul. Give me some soul d@mmit.
    If your primary motivation in buying Playbook, you are probably always going to be disappointed.

The Playbook is really a productivity and messaging tooln even if it still has some work to do in those areas.

I'm happy with where Playbook is going.
    02-28-12 11:05 AM
    Level headed? You have me confused with someone else. I was really mad about what happened. I guess that RIM apologized for the delays, so how can you stay mad?

That is the past. I'm very happy with Playbook now.
    Being sarcastic...again/still?
    I understand. I have read some of your past posts on the topic of the PB.
    My point was that at some point you realized that somethings are beyond your control, no matter what you blog so why stress over it. It's best to let it go or simply rid yourself of the problem.
    02-28-12 11:24 AM
    Thanks for letting us know that you are not familiar with the world of mobile web browsers. Hint: Safari is not the only mobile browser. There are quite a few mobile browsers that are at least on par with the PB's browser, which is indeed great.
    02-28-12 02:49 PM
    Thanks for letting us know that you are not familiar with the world of mobile web browsers. Hint: Safari is not the only mobile browser. There are quite a few mobile browsers that are at least on par with the PB's browser, which is indeed great.
    Whoa. I own a few Android Tablets too (HTC Flyer and Iconia A100). I have not found another browser that is as good. Which are you referring to? I'd be happy to be wrong about it. I just want the best one overall. I haven't tried Chrome for ICS (no Flash on that?) but I've tried most of the rest. For the way that I use the browser, nothing is really as good as Playbook's.
    02-28-12 07:55 PM
    Good to hear from you LawMan. I remember that we had a bit of a set-to a while back over something, and I like that you've come back with a good appraisal. I agree - there are lots of positives to the PB, and also some gaps.

The main thing I'm glad about is that 2.0 was released which is a very good start for the next 12 months or so.
    02-29-12 03:06 AM
    Whoa. I own a few Android Tablets too (HTC Flyer and Iconia A100). I have not found another browser that is as good. Which are you referring to? I'd be happy to be wrong about it. I just want the best one overall. I haven't tried Chrome for ICS (no Flash on that?) but I've tried most of the rest. For the way that I use the browser, nothing is really as good as Playbook's.
    The stock ICS browser is quite good. Has many features not present in the PB browser (e.g. Searching on the page). It is as fast as the PB's browser and supports Flash. Some alternative browsers, such as Dolphin HD or Opera, offer even more bells and whistles (e.g. Advanced bookmark management and gesture controls), which would make the PB's browser look very bare-bones. The alternative browser are also fast and also support Flash and are generally more stable.

I am not trying to say the PBs browser is bad. It is indeed good, but picking on the worst one in the pack to compare doesn't sound right. Again, the PB's browser is great but I wouldn't necessarily say it is the best out there.
    02-29-12 03:36 AM
    I got my own PB last night. Bought it on a whim because of the low price. I turned it on, charged it (it was seriously dead) and got the notification to upgrade when it went past 20%. Used it last night and today morning and I love it.

So far it's ticking all the boxes for me. The OP's review is spot-on for me. I liked the integration with my 9900. Is it perfect? No but it's real close. I'm yet to try the battery life so I'm watching out for that as I continue to use it in the next few days.

I'm really happy I got it! I never experienced how it was before OS2 but thank God, it can only get better from here on.
    02-29-12 03:37 AM
    The stock ICS browser is quite good. Has many features not present in the PB browser (e.g. Searching on the page). It is as fast as the PB's browser and supports Flash. Some alternative browsers, such as Dolphin HD or Opera, offer even more bells and whistles (e.g. Advanced bookmark management and gesture controls), which would make the PB's browser look very bare-bones. The alternative browser are also fast and also support Flash and are generally more stable.

I am not trying to say the PBs browser is bad. It is indeed good, but picking on the worst one in the pack to compare doesn't sound right. Again, the PB's browser is great but I wouldn't necessarily say it is the best out there.
    You can disagree and like something else better. There is no right answer. In mentioning Safari, I was just responding to something that stuck in my mind from a review that I read. I didn't mean to imply that this was the extent of my comparison. I've used lots of mobile browsers.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-29-12 06:19 AM
    I got my own PB last night. Bought it on a whim because of the low price. I turned it on, charged it (it was seriously dead) and got the notification to upgrade when it went past 20%. Used it last night and today morning and I love it.

So far it's ticking all the boxes for me. The OP's review is spot-on for me. I liked the integration with my 9900. Is it perfect? No but it's real close. I'm yet to try the battery life so I'm watching out for that as I continue to use it in the next few days.

I'm really happy I got it! I never experienced how it was before OS2 but thank God, it can only get better from here on.
    I paid full price to be a beta tester for the better part of a year. If I paid only $200, I'd probably be ecstatic. I hope you continue to enjoy it.
    02-29-12 06:21 AM
    I paid full price to be a beta tester for the better part of a year. If I paid only $200, I'd probably be ecstatic. I hope you continue to enjoy it.
    Wish it was $200! In our neck of the woods it used to retail for the equivalent of $1,200 when it first came out. Still got the Sales sticker with that printed on the box. I actually got it for $395!
    02-29-12 06:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD