hi everyone
    I bought a playbook a couple of months back and took it on vacation to mexico where it was stolen. i just finished reading about a guy who got his back by video chatting with his stolen PB using it's pin. i want to try and do the same but i can't find my pin (it is supposed to be on the box but all I see is a PRD- number, a S/n #, a sku # , a model # but no PIN #) I also open up device manager but there is no pin there either.
    can any one help me find my PIN.

Also I guess I have to buy a new Playbook to make contact with my old one right?

thanks so much
    03-05-12 06:53 PM
    If you ever did a backup with your DM, it should be in the logs...mine keeps a record of past devices I have used with the program.
    03-05-12 07:05 PM
    yes I did. Where do I find the logs. There are 3 tabs in Dm, CONNECTED DEVICES which is blank, OPTIONS and ABOUT.
    03-05-12 07:11 PM
    I don't believe playbook's have their own PIN...
    and also, unfortunately video chatting doesn't seem like a likely solution since 1. The person would have to be connected to the internet. 2. They'd have to accept your call, and 3. What then?

Story of the person you mention sounds sketchy.
    03-05-12 07:25 PM
    I don't believe playbook's have their own PIN...
    and also, unfortunately video chatting doesn't seem like a likely solution since 1. The person would have to be connected to the internet. 2. They'd have to accept your call, and 3. What then?

Story of the person you mention sounds sketchy.
    Playbooks do have their own pin. And the story mentioned by OP is right here on the board. Yes, the chance of getting lucky and getting the PB back might be slim, but it's worth a shot
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-05-12 07:28 PM
    I got the story on this forum.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ou-too-705991/

Sounded pretty legit to me.

Worse case scenario is harass the guy best case scenario he returns it to my contact in mexico.

So can anyone help me find my PIN??

Thanks
    Last edited by dutchie26; 03-05-12 at 07:34 PM.
    diegonei likes this.
    03-05-12 07:31 PM
    Do you have a playbook? They all have pins like the op stated. It's worth the shot who knows maybe it's his bus boy @hotel or something. You never know, nothing lost in trying...

Maybe we should even create a stolen playbook pin thread and have ppl randomly call...
    ezapper2 likes this.
    03-05-12 07:34 PM
    I stand corrected!

I must have misread about them not having their own pins and that was why email and bbm weren't originally native to the devices.

Definitely keeping this in mind in case mine ever is stolen.

Best of luck!

Ps: I'm sure you could find someone that already owns a playbook to do the video chat for you once you find your PIN, that way you don't have to buy a new one.
    03-05-12 07:34 PM
    Do you have a playbook?
    They all have pins like the op stated.
    It's worth the shot who knows maybe it's his bus boy @hotel or something. You never know, nothing lost in trying...
    Maybe we should even create a stolen playbook pin thread and have ppl randomly call...
    not anymore, it was STOLEN!

WHere do I find the PIN

Great Idea!!!
    03-05-12 07:39 PM
    Dutchie, when I open DM -PB not connected- it shows immediately (obviously, I blacked out my own pin);
    Last edited by VeniceBB; 03-07-12 at 02:52 PM.
    dutchie26 and tresvn like this.
    03-05-12 07:39 PM
    In Desktop Software I see my playbook at the top left corner.

Open yours, click on it and it'll show the name and the PIN (the numbers/text in brackets)
    dutchie26 likes this.
    03-05-12 07:41 PM
    Dutchie, when I open DM -PB not connected- it shows immediately (obviously, I blacked out my own pin);
    When I click on the Dm icon all I get is this. Something is going wrong here??/
    03-05-12 07:47 PM
    Mine was stolen last Monday, so I feel for ya. The only reason I still have my PIN is that I put it here in my info on Crackberry. And others here are definitely willing to try and call your Playbook, they tried with mine but it said the person was unavailable. But if you get it back, or buy another one put the PIN in your account info and you will be able to get it from here if something like this were to happen again.
    03-05-12 07:48 PM
    Looks like you're opening the Device Manager, you will have to open the actual Desktop Manager
    dutchie26 likes this.
    03-05-12 07:49 PM
    PIN is not on the box. I just checked the box. Not there.
    dutchie26 likes this.
    03-05-12 08:04 PM
    Son of a Bitc...........!!
    That is the only Blackberry program I have on this computer. I must have installed desktop manager on my laptop which , wait for it.............. you guessed it was also stolen at the same time. Arrhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Any other way of gettin the PIN. The other thread mentioned it was on the box but I don't see it anywhere. How many digits in the pin?

Thanks everyone
    03-05-12 08:08 PM
    I don't think there is another way to find the pin (but if anyone feels like I'm wrong there, please correct me )
    It's supposed to be 8 characters.
    dutchie26 likes this.
    03-05-12 08:13 PM
    Do you think if i called RIM and gave them the S/N etc that they would have the PIN?
    I am clutching at straws now

Thanks everyone
    03-07-12 03:28 PM
    Do you have a playbook? They all have pins like the op stated. It's worth the shot who knows maybe it's his bus boy @hotel or something. You never know, nothing lost in trying...

I like this Idea! Helping other playbook fellow mates!
    03-07-12 03:39 PM
    Do you think if i called RIM and gave them the S/N etc that they would have the PIN?
    I am clutching at straws now

Thanks everyone
    It's worth a try. In any case it can't hurt to report it stolen.
    dutchie26 likes this.
    03-07-12 03:46 PM
    RIM should have your PIN. When you first set it up, all the info including your name etc went to them along with the PIN.
    dutchie26 likes this.
    03-07-12 06:18 PM
    If you need the PIN, PM me the SN and I will get it for you.
    dutchie26 likes this.
    03-07-12 06:37 PM
    I phoned RIM and they were able to give me my PIN. Hooray!!!

Anyone out there want to try and video chat with my thief in Mexico maybe grab his picture???

PIN is 24670038

Tell him to contact Rosalinda @ 044 999 164 1118 if he is of the mind to return it

I am gonna have to borrow or buy a new Playbook and see if i can make contact with whoever has it and try and get him to return it or should I just submit the forms to RIM and have them block it and then me losing contact?

Thanks
    03-08-12 07:40 PM
    I phoned RIM and they were able to give me my PIN. Hooray!!!

Anyone out there want to try and video chat with my thief in Mexico maybe grab his picture???

PIN is 24670038

Tell him to contact Rosalinda @ 044 999 164 1118 if he is of the mind to return it

I am gonna have to borrow or buy a new Playbook and see if i can make contact with whoever has it and try and get him to return it or should I just submit the forms to RIM and have them block it and then me losing contact?

Thanks
    If you pay for a "Little Bird" rental, I'd be more then happy to bring a little Armageddon to the thief's little sugar shack.
    ThaSwapMeetPimp likes this.
    03-08-12 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Fill in the forms and send it back to RIMM pronto! They will flag your PIN # and alert the police to get it back.... when you do get it back, just call RIMM and you are back in business!
    03-08-12 07:48 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD