This is my first post. I'm an IT consultant and my job is to provide IT services for companies too small to have an IT department. Last week, the last of my BlackBerry-using clients gave up the BlackBerry ghost. The inability to delete from the device but not the server was the last straw for him, but good news for me. He gave me his PlayBook.

I've gotta say, this is a great tablet. It's very well made, the OS is simple and intuitive, and it has a great browser. With 64GB, I don't have to worry about space for pictures or music. I know there are issues and RIM has lost a lot of goodwill by misleading people and not supporting an OS upgrade (probably not the best PR decision). I know the app selection is pathetic. I still like it. I am using it for email, for browsing, as an ereader (side-loaded Kindle app), and to write and email invoices.

My buddy has a Nexus 7 and my wife has an iPad. For what I do, they don't have anything on the PlayBook. There are a lot of negative things being written about the PlayBook; I thought it could use some love.
    07-22-13 10:16 AM
    This is my first post. I'm an IT consultant and my job is to provide IT services for companies too small to have an IT department. Last week, the last of my BlackBerry-using clients gave up the BlackBerry ghost. The inability to delete from the device but not the server was the last straw for him, but good news for me. He gave me his PlayBook.

I've gotta say, this is a great tablet. It's very well made, the OS is simple and intuitive, and it has a great browser. With 64GB, I don't have to worry about space for pictures or music. I know there are issues and RIM has lost a lot of goodwill by misleading people and not supporting an OS upgrade (probably not the best PR decision). I know the app selection is pathetic. I still like it. I am using it for email, for browsing, as an ereader (side-loaded Kindle app), and to write and email invoices.

My buddy has a Nexus 7 and my wife has an iPad. For what I do, they don't have anything on the PlayBook. There are a lot of negative things being written about the PlayBook; I thought it could use some love.
    And the love is shown. I actually would still buy a PlayBook myself today. I just haven't found one in forever
    scrapmetal58 and cdelcampo216 like this.
    07-22-13 10:23 AM
    Welcome and thanks for the POSITIVE insight. Enjoy
    dazzleaj and tjseaman like this.
    07-22-13 10:26 AM
    I think this is exactly why PB owners were so heart broken by BlackBerry's decision to stop any further development for it. It's not like when I pick up my old 1st gen ipod touch and know, for sure, that it was stretched as thin as it could be. When you use the PB, you know it's still quite capable, if only they would improve a few things here and there.
    nealjane, axllebeer, FF22 and 3 others like this.
    07-22-13 10:27 AM
    I will get me a PlayBook too, soon or later, one way or another

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 10:31 AM
    Unfortunately another death nell given to the PlayBook by Anthony Muzonzini in his article, "3of the Worst Tablets of All Times" in Androidpit.com. I wholeheartedly disagree.
    07-22-13 10:45 AM
    Unfortunately another death nell given to the PlayBook by Anthony Muzonzini in his article, "3of the Worst Tablets of All Times" in Androidpit.com. I wholeheartedly disagree.
    Haha, I own the Xoom and PB. He seems to be a great Monday am quarterback. My Xoom is running JB 4.1.2 and, even after 3 years, runs with the best of android tablets. Only thing it doesn't have is NFC but that is pretty new tech that really isn't fleshed out yet. PB is my go-to for multimedia and web browsing (esp with new Origami browser!). Sure, there were problems with pricing, initial configurations, and apps. But that does not mean the quality/tech was not there. He should have had a vote for "Are you crazy?"
    07-22-13 11:32 AM
    I have 3 PlayBooks gave two 16 gig to my daughter and son and the 64 gig is MINE HAHA
    07-22-13 11:41 AM
    Origmi browser is incredible in comparison to the stock browser. it is free
    El Bori and ThaSwapMeetPimp like this.
    07-22-13 11:42 AM
    Origmi browser is incredible in comparison to the stock browser. it is free
    I absolutely agree!I would recommend, however, not setting it to open at last used web page. I had a freeze on a yahoo page and then every time I restarted origami it opened at the frozen page and I had to reinstall origami. But I love it a lot and it does seem to reinvigorate the fun of using the Playbook!
    nealjane, El Bori and hasib123 like this.
    07-22-13 11:56 AM
    I absolutely agree!I would recommend, however, not setting it to open at last used web page. I had a freeze on a yahoo page and then every time I restarted origami it opened at the frozen page and I had to reinstall origami. But I love it a lot and it does seem to reinvigorate the fun of using the Playbook!
    I did have a force close yesterday and I kinda liked the fact that it went back to where you were. Maybe that page was just having a problem. It is just the first version so I'm sure the developer will update it. Overall, I'm very, very pleased with it.
    domex likes this.
    07-22-13 12:51 PM
    If your in IT then you will want to get the Remote Desktop app by Todd Grayson for your Playbook. It's the best app for connecting to remote servers and client systems. If you have a BB OS7 4G Phone it works great over bridge as well.
    07-22-13 01:12 PM
    I traded my Kindle Fire for my wife's Playbook (16 gig). I like it so much that I am hunting for a deal on a 64 gig Playbook. I'm pretty sure I will find one, considering how many people are downright miserable. If I'm lucky, I will find one in near mint condition at a Thrift Shop. That's how I got a $15 Playstation 2, a $45 50 inch flat screen tv and $50 iMac Flat Panel. I just happen to shop at a thrift shop where rich people drop off their tax deductions.
    07-22-13 01:16 PM
    I did have a force close yesterday and I kinda liked the fact that it went back to where you were. Maybe that page was just having a problem. It is just the first version so I'm sure the developer will update it. Overall, I'm very, very pleased with it.
    I have the same issue the browser tend to freeze once in awhile. Nevertheless did the best job for pb. I'm sure it will be improve upon by the dev.
    07-22-13 02:27 PM
    If your in IT then you will want to get the Remote Desktop app by Todd Grayson for your Playbook. It's the best app for connecting to remote servers and client systems. If you have a BB OS7 4G Phone it works great over bridge as well.
    Is it better than Splashtop?
    07-22-13 02:33 PM
    Is it better than Splashtop?
    Much better as it uses the native Windows Remote Desktop and does not require you to install a agent or program on the system. The only drawback is if your not on the same network and coming in from the outside you will need to configure a port forward on the firewall router to get access to the system. IT admins should know how to do this easily. Splashtop is good if your non technical or cant port forward though a firewall but the performance is much better with Remote Desktop over Splashtop, Logmein or any other web based remote control program.
    07-22-13 03:49 PM
    I still use my PlayBook on a daily basis.
    The day I heard that there were no more significant updates, my heart was torn... this is such a great tablet, only if BlackBerry spent time in promoting it and bring out more and better applications.
    It definately would have given Apple a run for their money!
    El Bori likes this.
    07-22-13 04:49 PM
    my mom, who's been using the PlayBook for over a year now, recently misplaced hers and she's completely having a withdraw from it. Geez.
    07-22-13 04:55 PM
    If the idiots at BB would just implement a full version of Bridge on the Z10 there would be a lot less angry PB owners and maybe a few more that would go back to loving it.
    nealjane and FF22 like this.
    07-22-13 04:58 PM
    If the idiots at BB would just implement a full version of Bridge on the Z10 there would be a lot less angry PB owners and maybe a few more that would go back to loving it.
    need to update more than that but it wouldn't take much to make most happy, they just don't care
    07-22-13 05:32 PM
    If you are going to use it for media, particularly video, you might look into Kalemsoft - not free or cheap but powerful - plays even formats that the pb can't play natively. Also can stream from dlna devices and from the wifi network.
    07-22-13 05:52 PM
    Free is good!
    07-22-13 11:17 PM
    Much better as it uses the native Windows Remote Desktop and does not require you to install a agent or program on the system. The only drawback is if your not on the same network and coming in from the outside you will need to configure a port forward on the firewall router to get access to the system. IT admins should know how to do this easily. Splashtop is good if your non technical or cant port forward though a firewall but the performance is much better with Remote Desktop over Splashtop, Logmein or any other web based remote control program.
    I use Splashtop, you just need a Gmail account and out you go! Remote access from anywhere in the world to your pc, sure you need to install an app on it but who cares. Plus you have the pc sound on you PB!!!
    07-23-13 08:37 PM
    The only Blackberry product I have is a Playbook and I have to say that I surprise myself with how much I use it. Pretty darn close to once a day I pick it up for something.

It's good for browsing on the couch (but I need to try the Origami browser). It has a few fantastic games. The Kindle e-reader sideload works fine. And The Economist just pushed an update that makes it super easy to read!

All in all, I wish that BB would make a new basic tablet like the Playbook based off the Z10 software. They would just need to change some dimensions and remove a few features like the phone. It would not be a huge money-maker, but it would keep the base happy while maintaining a toe-hold in an important market.
    07-23-13 09:26 PM
    And the love is shown. I actually would still buy a PlayBook myself today. I just haven't found one in forever
    I'm still looking for that elusive new PlayBook too. Wifi version.
    I have one and I use it DAILY! I have since I purchased it in Oct 2011. I want another in the off chance mine has a nervous breakdown.

From Zed to U via CB10
    07-23-13 09:43 PM
34 12