Tablets are prone to users accidentally clicking on ads, as many of the websites place their ads along the sides where we often place our thumbs when navigating. Why hasn't somebody developed a proper Ad-Blocker for the Playbook? Something where ads can be eliminated without having to resort to turning off Flash and Java. My Kingdom for an Ad-Blocker! I'd even pay $10 or more for a properly implemented ad-blocker.
    jg2012 and ute like this.
    03-15-12 05:40 PM
    Hey there, i would love to see an adbloker for BB and BBPB and yea i would pay for it, but usually ABP is free .
    For example if you use Firefox you can DL an AddOn for you ads and you can manage what adds to show and what to not show including Youtube ads.

I dl Dolphin browser especially for this kind of thing, but by the look of things is no way to disable, or maybe im not to smart...yeah lol. to find in the settings where you can disable ads on that browser. BOOO
    03-15-12 05:53 PM
    Three bucks will get you Simple Browser+ in App World -- it has an ad blocker.
    Rudee66 likes this.
    03-15-12 05:54 PM
    True, but simple browser currently has a big in the tab feature that leaves me dealing with the crashes of the native browser.
    03-15-12 08:23 PM
    I wouldn't mind that either, but for the time being i have found zooming in on the text puts the ads out of sight.
    03-15-12 10:58 PM
    True, but simple browser currently has a big in the tab feature that leaves me dealing with the crashes of the native browser.
    What? Can you explain what you mean?
    03-16-12 02:36 AM
    I truly wish there was an ad blocker for the PB as well. It's more than just the annoyance from advertizing at stake. Think of the amount of processor, battery and data you would save from not having to DL that cr*p in the first place. Also there's the issue of tracking cookies and the like that comes part and parcel with internet advertizing. I'd rather avoid as much of that privacy invasion where I can, thank you very much!
    03-16-12 04:43 AM
    What? Can you explain what you mean?
    There is a bug sometimes with tabbed browsing in Simple Browser+. On occasion, when you open up multiple tabs -- which, when you view all open tabs, display as 4 browser windows each taking up a quarter of the PB window -- and then go back to a particular tab, it displays only a quarter of its size, as if it's still in the view-all-tabs window.

It can be annoying, but the ability to use an ad blocker and change your user agent string (to Firefox, IE, etc.) still make it a very valuable tool. The developer (HaTaX) is about to release a fix for the bug. So I wouldn't steer away from it.

The native browser randomly crashing is just a big an issue, if not a bigger one, IMHO.
    03-16-12 06:34 AM
    I find this truly annoying as well, but there are two features built into the PB that may help you as well.

First, if you are reading text, hit the "open book" icon in the upper left corner. That will pull the relevant text out in a more readable format.

Second, there is a gesture available for scrolling with the bezel. Place your finger about an inch from the bezel and start scrolling while sliding your finger onto the bezel. As long as you don't lift your finger off the glass, it will continue to scroll even while your finger is totally on the bezel. You can find more info in the PB gestures forums.

Meropesado
    app_Developer and DPSydBerry like this.
    03-16-12 06:40 AM
    Tried it, doesn't work. Thanks for misleading advice. Need better recommendations.
    04-14-13 08:25 AM
    Tried it, doesn't work. Thanks for misleading advice. Need better recommendations.
    Did you read in that thread on how to do it or in the help file?
    04-14-13 08:37 AM
    Did you read in that thread on how to do it or in the help file?
    Yah. Go to options, enable adblocking, use the default list. When that didn't work I tried using a custom list, the Easylist. There's no other options to tweak, and I keep getting bloody popups and the pages are still littered with spammy ads. I just want it to work right because no other browser claims to have an adblocker
    04-14-13 09:25 AM
    I haven't used this browser for some time now. I know back when I did it worked OK. Popups would be in the settings to allow them or not. The dev for simplebrowser hasn't been around for some time now so I'm not sure if he just gave up on it or what.
    04-14-13 09:42 AM
    I just want it to work right because no other browser claims to have an adblocker
    The new $0.99 Fast Browser also does ad blocking, but like SimpleBrowser, it does so from a list of 8000+ advertisers. UnfortunateIy that technique just can't block them all.
    04-14-13 09:55 AM
    Loving the huge crappy HP add on this page. Subtle advertising.
    04-14-13 04:53 PM
    The new $0.99 Fast Browser also does ad blocking, but like SimpleBrowser, it does so from a list of 8000+ advertisers. UnfortunateIy that technique just can't block them all.
    Hi everyone,

We're the devs for Fast Browser :-) As duggggg indicates, ad-blocking is available and currently filters from a list of 8000+ ad patterns. When you turn on aggressive ad-blocking (via options), Fast Browser will block not only the banner ads, but also in-video commercials!

For example, for those who like to watch documentaries, check-out (Doc Zone, geo restrictions apply). For each documentary episode, this will save you from spending about 3-5 minutes of having to sit through and wait for the commercials to end.

If there is a site with ads that Fast Browser currently doesn't filter, please let us know and we'll see if it can be added to the list of filters. Here is the official Fast Browser development thread in the apps sub-forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...01/index5.html. Hope to see you there!

BumbleBee Computing.
    04-20-13 05:55 PM
    Fast browser at $0.99 has an ad blocker. I haven't really used this feature but find other features useful.
    04-20-13 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD