OK, I love the PB....but I'm a gadget freak so I decided to buy an Ipad 2 TODAY, my local Apple store just got in some 32g, AT&T model, exactly what I was looking for. My intent was to use the PB on the road and the Ipad at home. I turned it on and immediately noticed the infamous "light leak" problem. This is no dead pixel thing, literally the edges of the black screen are white with light...you dont have to be anal to notice it, it's so obvious. I then did some research and found a 67 page thread about this on the Apple site. My wife is trying to exchange the unit now but from what I read you need to be chosen by god to get a perfect one. Just thought I'd put the so-called PB issues into perspective.
    gbester, pkcable and 1812dave like this.
    05-21-11 01:31 PM
    OK, I love the PB....but I'm a gadget freak so I decided to buy an Ipad 2 TODAY, my local Apple store just got in some 32g, AT&T model, exactly what I was looking for. My intent was to use the PB on the road and the Ipad at home. I turned it on and immediately noticed the infamous "light leak" problem. This is no dead pixel thing, literally the edges of the black screen are white with light...you dont have to be anal to notice it, it's so obvious. I then did some research and found a 67 page thread about this on the Apple site. My wife is trying to exchange the unit now but from what I read you need to be chosen by god to get a perfect one. Just thought I'd put the so-called PB issues into perspective.
    But, I thought God doesn't make mistakes. You have shattered my worldview.
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    05-21-11 01:57 PM
    Wow its amazing how that issue has been swept under the rug. I thought it was just the first batch and had since been resolved but I guess not.
    05-21-11 01:59 PM
    There is no light leak. You are not looking at iPad2 the right way. :P
    offthahorseceo and edyts like this.
    05-21-11 02:01 PM
    Oh NO!!
    Better return it to the Apple Store before the world ends at 6:00PM!
    Last edited by pkcable; 05-23-11 at 01:42 PM. Reason: language
    05-21-11 02:05 PM
    But, I thought God doesn't make mistakes. You have shattered my worldview.
    If you believe God runs a tech company then I'm not sure what to tell you.
    05-21-11 02:29 PM
    If you believe God runs a tech company then I'm not sure what to tell you.
    Its good that god doesn't run a tech company. Judging by the complete c**kup he has made in running the world, he would have run any company into the ground in the first month of operations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-11 02:33 PM
    thanks for making a thread solely to flame apple. it was productive and informative.
    05-21-11 02:41 PM
    thanks for making a thread solely to flame apple. it was productive and informative.
    Not a thread to flame apple, I just spent over $700 on an Ipad. I'm told a good one is on its way, I'll report back once I see it.
    05-21-11 02:44 PM
    you need to be chosen by god to get a perfect one. Just thought I'd put the so-called PB issues into perspective.
    You mean chosen by Steve Jobs?
    05-21-11 02:51 PM
    Not a thread to flame apple, I just spent over $700 on an Ipad. I'm told a good one is on its way, I'll report back once I see it.
    But this is the Playbook forum. No need to report back here. Find an ipad forum.
    05-21-11 02:52 PM
    a friend's friend had to return 5 units before he got one that worked.

funny thing is that the store manager apparently told him that if he didn't want flaws in his product that he shoudlnt be going with apple. the person called into apple and told them what happened. dude ended up getting an $80 case or something.
    05-21-11 03:18 PM
    But this is the Playbook forum. No need to report back here. Find an ipad forum.

It's relevant as the comparisons are inevitable, and some may want both tabs, like me.
    05-21-11 03:37 PM
    I have a iPad gen one and Do Not plan on getting iPad 2 oh ya I do have a Playbook and love it to but F were are the native email and so on.
    05-21-11 03:40 PM
    You mean chosen by Steve Jobs?
    Steve Jobs is NOT God! I am extremely offended by your comment! Apologize or I will be forced to report you to the forum authorities.
    05-21-11 03:49 PM
    Pretty sure it was directed at a particular model of a product regarding a certain issue, not Apple...
    05-21-11 04:00 PM
    Yeah but you don't hear about the return rate on iPad2 or that they have a QA issue with the screen in the media. Total bias in the "tech" media towards Apple. I can't wait to hear the numbers from RIM on June 16, because you know that they have to be doing direct sales to business and government and not just relying on Big Box sales.
    05-21-11 05:17 PM
    I think Blackberry did a better job than Apple on quality of hardware. My Playbook has no light leak or dead pixels. I went thru 5 iPad 2nd gens before I had a good one...first one had light leak, 2nd one had light leak and dead pixels, 3rd one had yellow screen, 4th more dead pixels, 5th was perfect and im very happy with it. Currently I'm using the both but probably been spending more time on the Playbook since it's newer. This my first Blackberry device.
    05-21-11 06:19 PM
    Yeah but you don't hear about the return rate on iPad2 or that they have a QA issue with the screen in the media. Total bias in the "tech" media towards Apple. I can't wait to hear the numbers from RIM on June 16, because you know that they have to be doing direct sales to business and government and not just relying on Big Box sales.
    That's because Apple doesn't recall a product unless it's unsafe, like the Ultracompact USB Power Adapter recall which could electrocute its owner. Even then , they called it "Exchange" instead of "Recall"
    05-21-11 08:19 PM
    I think Blackberry did a better job than Apple on quality of hardware. My Playbook has no light leak or dead pixels. I went thru 5 iPad 2nd gens before I had a good one...first one had light leak, 2nd one had light leak and dead pixels, 3rd one had yellow screen, 4th more dead pixels, 5th was perfect and im very happy with it. Currently I'm using the both but probably been spending more time on the Playbook since it's newer. This my first Blackberry device.
    Where did you buy your iPad? Online or in-store? If in-store, I wouldn't have left after the second one until I opened the box and tried it for yellowing (which technically disappears by itself), dead pixels or light bleeding.
    05-21-11 08:22 PM
    Where did you buy your iPad? Online or in-store? If in-store, I wouldn't have left after the second one until I opened the box and tried it for yellowing (which technically disappears by itself), dead pixels or light bleeding.
    I bought from Walmart stores. I actually asked on the first return if I could check it but had no way to activate in iTunes and I don't own a laptop.

The yellowing issue wasn't the glue issue it was the case where the whole is a yellowish hue aka "warm". I could not live with it when I compared it to my iPad 1st gen which was "cool". Had I not owned an iPad 1 maybe I would not have noticed or cared.

All these returns weren't easy to either party by the way. I pretended twice that it was gift and I had no receipt. I didn't want to show them a receipt that showed I had already returned it once. Had to talk to managers and complain it was a gift that was defective. They gave me store credit and I kept buying it.

If your still reading this you may chuckle when I say I'm really not so anal. I keep my devices naked and they get scratched front and back and dented but I consider that normal wear and tear. But when I first own them I expect mint condition.
    05-22-11 12:58 AM
    Official response from Apple: The light leak only occurs in the following circumstances:

1. Turn on an iPad2
    2. Look at the iPad2 when turned on
    3. Hold the iPad or put it down while looking at it while turned on.

If you avoid the above circumstances, the issue will resolve itself.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    05-22-11 01:29 AM
    So your proof of bias is the lack of comment on iPad 2 return rates and the screen issue? I just Googled "iPad 2 screen leak" and got 11 pages of the media not covering the screen leak issue. As for return rates, it's only news if it's high. Personally, I don't recall any other RIM device having return rates published. Was the tech media biased for RIM when all those other devices were released? Not at all. If this evidence is your only proof of bias, it's not very convincing.
    05-22-11 01:38 AM
    Looks to me to be an informative, comparative report. It has a place here. Relax Friend.
    05-22-11 01:54 AM
    not if he compares the two. read the original post.
    05-22-11 02:57 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD