You could use your phone as a wifi hotspot then connect your PB to that. It is just unusual these days to find a home internet plan that is not unlimited. Cell phone data plans used to be unlimited but they are finding they can make more money with the limited plans, especially if you go over the limit. LOL.
    Not in Canada, we pay some of the highest internet rates
    02-20-14 12:26 PM
    My playbook gets internet from my home ISP.
    However, this poses an interesting question:
    -what if I took my playbook to a Macdonalds for the free internet and downloaded a movie
    and then watched it at home. Would it cost then?
    Unless your home ISP has a cap or is limited, most in the states are unlimited for a month fee, it should cost no more to stream. But if they charge by the GB then you could get into trouble. At McDonald's you are not using your internet you're using McDonald's internet so that doesn't go against your plan.

Do you have a cell enabled pb?
    castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 12:36 PM
    Whomever told you that lied to your face.

Posted via CB10
    I second that! If you download the movie you use data to do that, but then you can play the saved file over and over without using data (depending on the download, security feature, etc). If you stream it, you will use data every time you watch it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-20-14 12:36 PM
    Wow, 20 gb data on a phone plan is pretty pricey. My 2 gb is $30. My unlimited home cable plan is about $50.
    Wow, my home wifi costs 65. Dollars for 30 GB. Of course this is in Yukon and served by the
    Poor Ma and Pa company Northwestel, Wait they are owned by Bell.
    02-20-14 12:41 PM
    Ya. I even have hard time using up 250

BlackBerry Since 2006. Rogers Halifax, NS - Official 10.2.1
    I have never even approached the 20 GB limit on my home WIFI before this time - that's why I was so confused.
    I don't play the interactive games (or any games), so use it mainly for email and FB.
    2 GB used to serve me until I started using the playbook to watch movies.
    02-20-14 12:44 PM
    Unless your home ISP has a cap or is limited, most in the states are unlimited for a month fee, it should cost no more to stream. But if they charge by the GB then you could get into trouble. At McDonald's you are not using your internet you're using McDonald's internet so that doesn't go against your plan.

Do you have a cell enabled pb?
    I do not have a cell enabled PB, I have a cheap cell phone with no internet.
    I can take my playbook with me and can access free wifi from it.
    For examle, if I'm travellilng to the States or Europe, most hotels offer free wifi, so I take the playbook with me then.
    02-20-14 12:48 PM
    I second that! If you download the movie you use data to do that, but then you can play the saved file over and over without using data (depending on the download, security feature, etc). If you stream it, you will use data every time you watch it.
    So you use exactly the same amount when you stream a movie that you would use if you actually downloaded the movie??
    but if you replay the movie, there is no cost?

(-I'll have to email my friend once again because my friend did not lie - just was under a false impression)
    02-20-14 12:53 PM
    Downloading and streaming are two different words but when it's dealing with Internet usage it has the same affect on your usage, plus or minus a few mb. I tend to download all my shows and movies because they usually get watched more than once, if you stream, you incur download usage each time you stream that show or movie, but if you download you only incur the download usage once during the download of the file, then you are safe to watch as many times as you want without incurring more usage.

Posted via CB10
    castoridae and kbz1960 like this.
    02-20-14 12:59 PM
    Well I think your question has been fully explained at this point

Posted via CB10
    decoy7 likes this.
    02-20-14 12:59 PM
    So you use exactly the same amount when you stream a movie that you would use if you actually downloaded the movie??
    but if you replay the movie, there is no cost?

(-I'll have to email my friend once again because my friend did not lie - just was under a false impression)
    Yep, should be around the same
    Replay after downloading is completely free! You can watch as many times as you would like

Posted via CB10
    castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 01:02 PM
    So, I work for a huge company. I have clearance to access the company email, internal shared drives and documents.
    So when I sign on to this huge company email, I would only be charged for reading my own email, right?
    Data is data.

castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 01:04 PM
    Home internet is different in Canada - it sounds like it operates much the same as U.S. cell use packages, in that there are different packages and each has a different amount of usage. Mine is one of the lowest in cost and GB.
    02-20-14 01:05 PM
    My playbook gets internet from my home ISP.
    However, this poses an interesting question:
    -what if I took my playbook to a Macdonalds for the free internet and downloaded a movie
    and then watched it at home. Would it cost then?
    No, cuz you are using someone else's connection to download. Not to be rude, but perhaps do a bit of research.

castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 01:05 PM
    I have never even approached the 20 GB limit on my home WIFI before this time - that's why I was so confused.
    I don't play the interactive games (or any games), so use it mainly for email and FB.
    2 GB used to serve me until I started using the playbook to watch movies.
    You need to understand the wifi is your internal network for use with multiple devices or you just don't want network cable connected to computer. You still use data through your ISP.

castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 01:08 PM
    Eastlink. Check the web site too, it states the 250 is for the standalone plan. Bundles are not capped at 250.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    Have a link? Not seeing this

02-20-14 01:13 PM
    Home internet is different in Canada - it sounds like it operates much the same as U.S. cell use packages, in that there are different packages and each has a different amount of usage. Mine is one of the lowest in cost and GB.
    Well, home internet cost in the US depends more on connection speed rather than usage. The connection speed can vary from <1 to >50 mbps and gets more expensive.
    castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 01:30 PM
    Is it possible that this thread is a joke?

Posted via CB10
    ayekon and decoy7 like this.
    02-20-14 02:56 PM
    Well, home internet cost in the US depends more on connection speed rather than usage. The connection speed can vary from <1 to >50 mbps and gets more expensive.
    I get the impression that most U.S. Providers are providing unlimited internet.
    Here, in Canada, we have a range of packages that have different usage limits.
    From some of these posts, I get the impression that the U.S. Cell phone packages are like this, but for home internet it is unlimited.
    02-20-14 03:57 PM
    internet prices works the same all over the world! but here in Canada we are charged more because we are gullible or easily robbed? LOL the way it works you have different packages that have different speeds and data allowance. so for example there is a cheap plan for 10mbps and have a data allowance of 30gb if you go over your allowance you are then charged 1$ per GB so say you download 40gb and are allowed 30gb allowance then you went over by 10gb and are charged $10 xtra. get it? now whether you download movies or stream it, your still using DATA and it doesn't make a difference download VS stream. with me? what you have to watch is what your downloading and what you are steaming which includes Netflix/youtube/putlocker or whatever else is out there... now you can call your ISP and ask them if they have unlimited for xtra amount of dollars like videotron charges $10 xtra ontop of your GB data allowance which is worth it to me to have cuzz I watch Netflix ALOT and I game and I download a lot. and I would seriously tell your friends to take courses on computers and internet protocol as he doesn't know sh!t lol
    nappp and castoridae like this.
    02-20-14 09:54 PM
    internet prices works the same all over the world! but here in Canada we are charged more because we are gullible or easily robbed? LOL the way it works you have different packages that have different speeds and data allowance. so for example there is a cheap plan for 10mbps and have a data allowance of 30gb if you go over your allowance you are then charged 1$ per GB so say you download 40gb and are allowed 30gb allowance then you went over by 10gb and are charged $10 xtra. get it? now whether you download movies or stream it, your still using DATA and it doesn't make a difference download VS stream. with me? what you have to watch is what your downloading and what you are steaming which includes Netflix/youtube/putlocker or whatever else is out there... now you can call your ISP and ask them if they have unlimited for xtra amount of dollars like videotron charges $10 xtra ontop of your GB data allowance which is worth it to me to have cuzz I watch Netflix ALOT and I game and I download a lot. and I would seriously tell your friends to take courses on computers and internet protocol as he doesn't know sh!t lol
    To be clear, not everyone understands internet usage which is why I asked my question. As I said, my provider offers a range of packages, so if I wanted unlimited, it would be a different package for a lot more money, not just $10. You are correct about the extra dollar charged for every GB you use over your allotment and yes, I'm aware that Canadians pay some of the highest prices in the world. I didn't go over my limit because I get warned when I've used 75% and again when I've used 100%.
    So I understand it now. My friend only passed on what information they understood. Most people who use devices don't understand how this works. If you go to different providers websites, they give you limited information.
    02-21-14 07:15 AM
    Out of curiosity, who are you with? what you have to do is look around a bit and compare, there's other ISP's who do offer unlimited and you have to call your ISP and tell them 'such n such has unlimited for this much' and ask them to match it... sorta like haggling and if not then threaten to go to another ISP! 9 out of 10 times they will match. And if they don't then I recommend you jump ship and bail on your ISP because they're the worst kind of ISP and you don't wanna be with them anyways.
    kbz1960 and anon(5597702) like this.
    02-21-14 08:52 AM
    Eastlink has a 250gb limit on its faster package. Still uses data through wifi

Regional Selector

Upgrade to Eclipse

Show LessUpgrade to Eclipse for only $20 in a Bundle. Get everything included in Evolution, and easily support 12 simultaneous online HD video streams.

$

per month

Get It
    Details

• Up to 80 Mbps download, 8 Mbps upload
    • Easily support 12 simultaneous online HD video streams
    • Select and begin streaming an online HD movie in less than 5 seconds
    • No usage based billing in a Watch Surf Talk & Watch Surf Bundle
    • 250 GB bandwidth monthly usage applies to standalone internet customers
    • $1 per GB applies thereafter
    • $35 Unlimited Usage package is also available
    • Check your usage http://eastlink.ca/internet/myusage/
    • Eastlink Internet is available without term contracts or early termination fees
    • Always on, no need to connect
    • 5 email addresses are included
    • With Eastlink webmail, you can access your Eastlink e-mail from anywhere
    • AntiSPAM and virus filter on e-mail included
    • 24/7 Customer support

castoridae likes this.
    02-21-14 09:44 PM
    Eastlink. Check the web site too, it states the 250 is for the standalone plan. Bundles are not capped at 250.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    Yup, no cap on bundles. The data still registers but no extra charges for it on a bundle.
    02-21-14 11:04 PM
    Is it possible that this thread is a joke?

Posted via CB10
    Kinda what I was wondering. Someone who claims to not know how the internet works is speaking for all of Canada in how their internet works. LOL. All over Canada the services are different, just like all over the U.S.

One thing is for sure though, whether you download something or stream it........ it uses data. lol.
    nappp and DrBoomBotz like this.
    02-21-14 11:09 PM
    There is no such thing as "free"... in fact even the air that we are breathing is not free... you have to give CO2 in exchange...

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 04:51 AM
70 123