Hi All,
    I stream free movies from Putlocker.to on my playbook to my TV. I use the HDMI connector and hook the playbook up to my TV.
    I was told that if you stream the movies and not download them, that this wouldn't use up your internet.
    I got a notice from my provider last month that I had used up 75% of my 20 GB.
    This has never happened before as I usually use less than half of the 20 GB.
    The only thing I can think of was that I watched lots of movies. I was home alot in Jan & Feb because of ice storms, bad flu bug, etc, etc.
    Also, would downloadinge books add to this?
    I'm now watching my usage daily to see what ups the usage, as I also frequently work from home and it may be downloading from the work internet site?
    02-20-14 10:08 AM
    Whomever told you that lied to your face.

Posted via CB10
    decoy7 likes this.
    02-20-14 10:10 AM
    Streaming does impact your bandwidth allotment. Movies, especially if they're high definition quality, can really eat up into data allotment. Take a look at this webpage for an idea of how much data you could be using up.
    castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 10:13 AM
    Streaming still downloads, the difference is that one of them plays it while it downloads and one saves it so you can play it whenever you want. They use the same amount of data usage for the most part.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, castoridae and Carl Estes like this.
    02-20-14 10:36 AM
    Everyone is right. Sorry to break it to you. If the source of the file is on the internet, then it costs data to retrieve it.

Posted via CB10
    castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 11:03 AM
    So you only have your cell for internet access?
    02-20-14 11:09 AM
    You can count on a typical movie being 2-3 gb depending if it is HD or not. 20 gb is not much if you plan to stream movies. I have a 2 gb plan for my phone and I can barely watch a Netflix movie. LOL. My cable plan at home is unlimited.
    castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 11:10 AM
    Wow, 20 gb data on a phone plan is pretty pricey. My 2 gb is $30. My unlimited home cable plan is about $50.
    02-20-14 11:13 AM
    In the UK you can have unlimited Data without any restrictions for around 20GBP

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 11:17 AM
    No! what I said was that I stream from my Playbook tablet
    02-20-14 11:51 AM
    WOW, I seriously learned so much from this.
    My friend told me about the putlocker.to site to stream movies because Netflix is not supported on the Playbook.
    My friend (who told me about this) is also under the assumption that if you just stream and not download, it is free.
    So I guess when I watch youtubes that is also a download??
    02-20-14 11:56 AM
    My friend told me about the putlocker.to site to stream movies because Netflix is not supported on the Playbook.
    My friend (who told me about this) is also under the assumption that if you just stream and not download, it is free.
    LOL. Nothing is free. Unless you go to McDonald's and use their internet but then you probably would buy a hamburger or something. We think the internet is "free" but internet access always costs something. Yup, YouTube, browsing, email, etc. are all part of your allotted gbs.
    castoridae likes this.
    02-20-14 12:01 PM
    Yes, download an email, uses data. Browse a Web page, uses data. Stream a movie, uses data. The Internet is data.

BlackBerry Since 2006. Rogers Halifax, NS - Official 10.2.1
    02-20-14 12:06 PM
    This is hilarious

Posted via CB10
    nappp, EchuOkan1, FCSC and 2 others like this.
    02-20-14 12:06 PM
    You could use your phone as a wifi hotspot then connect your PB to that. It is just unusual these days to find a home internet plan that is not unlimited. Cell phone data plans used to be unlimited but they are finding they can make more money with the limited plans, especially if you go over the limit. LOL.
    02-20-14 12:08 PM
    Well where is pb getting the internet from? Your home ISP? Your phone? The dogs collar?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    02-20-14 12:09 PM
    It's from the internet so it uses data.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 12:10 PM
    You could use your phone as a wifi hotspot then connect your PB to that. It is just unusual these days to find a home internet plan that is not unlimited. Cell phone data plans used to be unlimited but they are finding they can make more money with the limited plans, especially if you go over the limit. LOL.
    Eastlink has a 250gb limit on its faster package. Still uses data through wifi

02-20-14 12:10 PM
    Mine isn't unlimited but I get a 350gb limit. I'm good with it.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 12:11 PM
    Mine isn't unlimited but I get a 350gb limit. I'm good with it.

Posted via CB10
    Ya. I even have hard time using up 250

02-20-14 12:13 PM
    Well where is pb getting the internet from? Your home ISP? Your phone? The dogs collar?
    My playbook gets internet from my home ISP.
    However, this poses an interesting question:
    -what if I took my playbook to a Macdonalds for the free internet and downloaded a movie
    and then watched it at home. Would it cost then?
    02-20-14 12:15 PM
    Eastlink has a 250gb limit on its faster package. Still uses data through wifi

Unless you have a bundle. I have the unlimited 80mbit connection myself. Downloaded about 1.3 TB last month.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    02-20-14 12:16 PM
    Unless you have a bundle. I have the unlimited 80mbit connection myself. Downloaded about 1.3 TB last month.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    With who?
    I am bundled TV and internet with Eastlink

02-20-14 12:17 PM
    With who?
    I am bundled TV and internet with Eastlink

Eastlink. Check the web site too, it states the 250 is for the standalone plan. Bundles are not capped at 250.

02-20-14 12:22 PM
    Yes, download an email, uses data. Browse a Web page, uses data. Stream a movie, uses data. The Internet is data.
    So, I work for a huge company. I have clearance to access the company email, internal shared drives and documents.
    So when I sign on to this huge company email, I would only be charged for reading my own email, right?
    02-20-14 12:23 PM
70 123