Just a little story I thought I would share....

So, I am really pissed of at BlackBerry for abandoning the PlayBook. I have two. The first one, a 16GB model, I bought for $499 + tax. The second one, a 64 GB model, I bought for $189. It was the deal of the century considering we were all going to get BB10 on it. I have cases, and rapid chargers....

So, when BlackBerry announced that BB10 wasn't coming to the PlayBook, I decided to sell my PlayBook's (not sure anyone would buy then) and get another tablet.

I decided on a 32GB Microsoft Surface running Windows RT. It sounded like a business-enough tablet.

So, I get it, charge it up and go through the setup procedure. Out of the box, it is slower than the PlayBook, the IE browser not as good, and the email experience truly terrible. It cannot sync with Google Calender (due to some dispute between Microsoft and Google) and email has a tendency to come it very slow.

The UI looks good, but it is slow and the gestures are no intuitive like on the PB. My Z10 ran rings around the Surface for everything except screen size.

My point is, it won't take much to make the PlayBook much better... browser update, better keyboard and.... full bridge! That's it. It's a solid piece of hardware in need of a better OS. Perhaps 2.2 or 3.0.

Please BlackBerry..... just some good faith here.

Oh, BTW, I returned the Surface the next day.
    Last edited by Matt J; 08-02-13 at 08:23 AM.
    Nels, Carl Estes, DocDRM and 5 others like this.
    07-18-13 06:54 AM
    I am surprise you had issues with the Surface. I have played with a few of them for quite a bit and really enjoy them. Build quality and speed were fine. I do agree that Pro was better than the RT model that i played with for sure though.
    07-18-13 07:07 AM
    I am surprise you had issues with the Surface. I have played with a few of them for quite a bit and really enjoy them. Build quality and speed were fine. I do agree that Pro was better than the RT model that i played with for sure though.
    Yeah, there were a few small deal-breakers. There is currently no way to sync Google Calendar on the Surface. CalDAV is not supported (like it is on the Z10 and PlayBook). What good is a tablet if I can't get my calendar on it?

Also, I wasn't impressed with the speed. I guess I got used to my Z10.

The biggest selling point was Microsoft Office (which I will admit was amazing!), but I found the Surface too big (I guess I got used to the PlayBook).

The selection of apps was good, but nowhere near Apple.... but much better than BlackBerry.

I will probably wait to see what iOS7 looks like on the iPad mini and make a decision then....
    07-18-13 07:15 AM
    Acer W3 has an 8 inch Pro model. Besides the defective sd card slot which led me to return it, the one issue that I noticed is that "normal" Windows programs are not designed to deal with things like fonts or word-wrap. I don't know if the RT "apps" versus real programs are designed more like tablet apps. I might have returned it too soon to really test whether some things could be "enlarged" - things like the Windows controls in the various windows were rather small, the close, minimize, etc buttons and the scroll bar to move the contents up/down/left/right in a window.

It is on sale right now.
    07-18-13 08:38 AM
    Acer W3 has an 8 inch Pro model. Besides the defective sd card slot which led me to return it, the one issue that I noticed is that "normal" Windows programs are not designed to deal with things like fonts or word-wrap. I don't know if the RT "apps" versus real programs are designed more like tablet apps. I might have returned it too soon to really test whether some things could be "enlarged" - things like the Windows controls in the various windows were rather small, the close, minimize, etc buttons and the scroll bar to move the contents up/down/left/right in a window.

It is on sale right now.
    Actually, the RT experience with Microsoft Office was decent. Although the buttons were still to small to use effectively. I hate to say this (really I do), but an iPad Mini with iOS7 might be the best choice for me.
    07-18-13 08:53 AM
    Get an iPad.
    07-18-13 08:55 AM
    LTE Playbook Coming Soon in US

Hey OP, I'm just sayin . . .
    07-18-13 09:25 AM
    Good story so you feel like many of us that the PlayBook is a superior device and can be made better with software upgrades. If you add a real budget for advertising then you show your customers that you are committed to then. I am not a genius but it seems so simple. Glad you're back with our sinking ship OP like having the company.
    07-18-13 01:25 PM
    Just a little story I thought I would share....

So, I am really pissed of at BlackBerry for abandoning the PlayBook. I have two. The first one, a 16GB model, I bought for $499 + tax. The second one, a 64 GB model, I bought for $189. It was the deal of the century considering we were all going to get BB10 on it. I have cases, and rapid chargers....

So, when BlackBerry announced that BB10 wasn't coming to the PlayBook, I decided to sell my PlayBook's (not sure anyone would buy then) and get another tablet.

I decided on a 32GB Microsoft Surface running Windows RT. It sounded like a business-enough tablet.

So, I get it, charge it up and go through the setup procedure. Out of the box, it is slower than the PlayBook, the IE browser not as good, and the email experience truly terrible. It cannot sync with Google Calender (due to some dispute between Microsoft and Google) and email has a tendency to come it very slow.

The UI looks good, but it is slow and the gestures are no intuitive like on the PB. My Z10 ran rings around the Surface for everything except screen size.

My point is, it won't take much to make the PlayBook much better... browser update, better keyboard and.... full bridge! That's it. It's a solid piece of hardware in need of a better OS. Perhaps 2.2 or 3.0.

Please BlackBerry..... just some good faith here.

Oh, BTW, I returned the Surface the next day.
    How much did Thorny pay you?
    07-18-13 02:22 PM
    LTE Playbook Coming Soon in US

Hey OP, I'm just sayin . . .
    Still only 1 GB RAM and you are at the mercy(?) of the carrier. But I guess you were joking.
    07-18-13 02:37 PM
    Still only 1 GB RAM and you are at the mercy(?) of the carrier. But I guess you were joking.
    Oh, god, stuck between a carrier and rim, or a rock and a Thor place.
    07-18-13 05:12 PM
    I have had my 64gb since the day it was released. I have experienced every OS update. I now have it on my firm's BES 10 server along with my Z10. Notwithstanding my disappointment that it won't get BB10, it is still an awesome tablet that I use daily, for everything. The email on BES10 is as reliable as on my Z10. I pay for Google Apps for my main personal email so I get Activesync which rocks on the Playbook. I have all the apps I need. I am so worried about the inability to replace it should it fail, I have bought another 64gb Playbook knowing it will never get BB10, to keep as a backup. The sad part is that BB has no plans to update it or replace it with a PB2. In the meantime, I will use mine until it dies. There are few devices I can say that about.
    Last edited by deswayze; 07-18-13 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-18-13 10:28 PM
    I echo your sentiments... here's my little Pro-PlayBook post from a few weeks ago, which makes the sting of its abandonment by both it's parents (BB Ltd.) and it's caretaker (me!) so sad... I mean, without Bridge, I have my 4 Android tablets and my Windows RT and full Windows 8 tablets and my Android phone and my Windows Phone 7.8 and two iPod touches and actual personal computers to use for simple Web browsing, so why "bother" with a PlayBook?

Still, it's a nice little gadget... in and of itself... but next to all ^^^ that, it's kind of third choice without Bridge and a better Web browser.
    07-18-13 10:49 PM
    Well, I decided to give the Surface RT another chance. Since Windows 8.1 Preview was just released, I decided to buy the Surface RT again and install the latest OS.

I am not disappointed . The speed and performance has dramatically improved and after some getting used to, the user interface is as good as the PlayBook for multitasking. The full MS Office suite is amazing. There is no tablet that can compete. It has Netflix and Skype, so it's got the main professional apps covered.

I have retired my PlayBook for good.
    07-30-13 09:54 PM
    Well, I decided to give the Surface RT another chance. Since Windows 8.1 Preview was just released, I decided to buy the Surface RT again and install the latest OS.

I am not disappointed . The speed and performance has dramatically improved and after some getting used to, the user interface is as good as the PlayBook for multitasking. The full MS Office suite is amazing. There is no tablet that can compete. It has Netflix and Skype, so it's got the main professional apps covered.

The dark side is strong in this one.
    Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is.
    07-30-13 09:58 PM

I made a similar move earlier this year - bought an HP Envy x2 for under $500 and have been thrilled with it from a productivity and compatibility standpoint. However, I still prefer my PB for its portability. It's my "go anywhere" device and the one I grab when heading out the door to do just about anything. Plus I still love the build quality and, when combined with a leather journal case, the "executive" feel of the device.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-30-13 11:01 PM

So is it the RT (which is NOT Full Windows) or the regular Surface that is the Full Windows? Does the RT run Win 8.1?
    07-30-13 11:24 PM
    So is it the RT (which is NOT Full Windows) or the regular Surface that is the Full Windows? Does the RT run Win 8.1?
    Surface RT and Surface Pro run everything in the Windows Store. I think there are over 100,000 apps in there now. Windows RT does not run legacy Windows apps that were designed for Windows 7 back. Both RT and Pro run the Windows 8.1 user interface which is called "Metro" and all the apps in the Windows Store are "Metro apps".

The problem with the Surface Pro is that it is a desktop OS crammed into a tablet. Sure, it's powerful and can run everything, but its battery doesn't last very long and it doesn't have "instant on" and "always on" for Wi-Fi and connectivity. When you turn it off, it's like putting your PC into sleep mode. The Surface RT is like any other tablet, as it was designed from the ground-up using ARM processors.

Eventually, most news Windows apps will be "Metro apps", designed for the 8.1 user interface. So, although existing Windows apps will continue to exist, I think that developers will start designing apps for the new UI and selling them in the Windows Store versus in a box at Best Buy or at an independent online site.

Although sales of RT have been poor, Microsoft is a strategic genius. Give it time.
    07-31-13 07:14 AM
    Just poking my head in to say good discussion....seriously. no one running around saying that this sucks or that sucks or 600+ posts of Thor lied. Its good to read a post and learn something.

Thanks. Carry on.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    FF22 likes this.
    07-31-13 07:32 AM
    It's funny I have the PlayBook with my bluetooth keyboard and my mini microsoft mouse and I love my PlayBook when i'm out on the road I tether my z10 to it. Still performs for me. It is very disheartening to say the least that they abandoned this device. I use my ipad 2 every once in a while but I love my PlayBook. Great post though.
    07-31-13 08:30 AM
    It's funny I have the PlayBook with my bluetooth keyboard and my mini microsoft mouse and I love my PlayBook when i'm out on the road I tether my z10 to it. Still performs for me. It is very disheartening to say the least that they abandoned this device. I use my ipad 2 every once in a while but I love my PlayBook. Great post though.
    Don't get me wrong. I love my PlayBook. I so much wish I didn't have to buy the Surface RT as I much prefer the PlayBook's form factor and UI. But the Surface RT was the best of the worst out there right now for my needs.

Man... all I wanted was a better browser, keyboard and speed improvements. Or at least a commitment that it would be supported for another year or two.
    07-31-13 08:36 AM

Do you have any feedback on the IE flash limitation (white paper), wifi connectivity, and speakers? There are threads on the Microsoft forums and I don't know if they have been addressed in 8.1 or not. RT can be found on other manufacturer devices (Dell) and I was wondering if it was better to go with different hardware. The IE flash thing would be the same since it is RT but is it hard to modify the xml file?
    07-31-13 08:47 AM
    Do you have any feedback on the IE flash limitation (white paper), wifi connectivity, and speakers? There are threads on the Microsoft forums and I don't know if they have been addressed in 8.1 or not. RT can be found on other manufacturer devices (Dell) and I was wondering if it was better to go with different hardware. The IE flash thing would be the same since it is RT but is it hard to modify the xml file?
    I believe the IE flash issue was for IE10. Windows 8.1 Preview comes with IE11 and I have not encountered any site that poses a problem. The Wi-Fi issue has been fixed in 8.1 as has the speaker issue. Although it's a "preview" OS, I haven't noticed any bugs or issues since I installed it 5 days ago.

I preferred to purchase a Surface RT because its quite an amazing piece of hardware, very high quality. Also, since it's a Microsoft product, I felt it would get attention first...
    07-31-13 08:58 AM
    Don't get me wrong. I love my PlayBook. I so much wish I didn't have to buy the Surface RT as I much prefer the PlayBook's form factor and UI. But the Surface RT was the best of the worst out there right now for my needs.

Man... all I wanted was a better browser, keyboard and speed improvements. Or at least a commitment that it would be supported for another year or two.
    What I found odd about these various MS devices - is their compatible keyboards are NOT Bluetooth - they have to be physically attached (unless I have missed something) to work. So, for instance, where I can attach my pb to the tv and operate it across the room with my bt keyboard, these don't work that way. While I do imagine that a bt keyboard could be paired, it's not the same as the keyboard designed as the cover/keyboard combo.

Well, with the falling price of the RT models, it definitely is something to consider.
    07-31-13 09:19 AM
    What I found odd about these various MS devices - is their compatible keyboards are NOT Bluetooth - they have to be physically attached (unless I have missed something) to work. So, for instance, where I can attach my pb to the tv and operate it across the room with my bt keyboard, these don't work that way. While I do imagine that a bt keyboard could be paired, it's not the same as the keyboard designed as the cover/keyboard combo.

Well, with the falling price of the RT models, it definitely is something to consider.
    No, this is not the case. The Surface RT can pretty much pair to any Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I have a Nexxtech Bluetooth Keyboard and Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 and it paired to both in seconds. Every key is mapped out perfectly, the mouse wheel scrolls and everything works as it it was connected to PC. The Windows Key on the keyboard behaves as the "Start Button" on Windows 8.1, no problem.

Actually, my Surface RT is attached to my TV through the HDMI connector and my keyboard and mouse control it without issue. Just like my PlayBook was... except now I have Netflix!

Also, it can pretty much connect to any printer, scanner and other device.... directly and with drivers installed automatically.

Is also has a Micro SD slot for expansion.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-31-13 09:31 AM
42 12