I have a new 64 gig pb from Walmart Canada, and so far, am totally enamoured with the device. I also have a 3g SGT 7 inch tablet, for comparison.The PB takes longer to load than Android 2.3, but once they are running, (the PB bridged or hotspot) it appears smoother, and faster. The build quality seems much better with the PB than the original Samsung Galaxy Tab. It seems "firmer" more solid, and the front facing speakers are a certain wow factor. In all, once the OS is loaded, I prefer the PB over the SGT 3G.
    rexrim and wafa510 like this.
    09-24-12 03:05 AM
    SugarMouth, I will answer all your questions:

Was this from curiosity or was there something specific Blackberry had that you needed?

I do not spend over a hundred dollars for something out of curiosity. I spent countless hours researching, reading about the Playbook, its pros and cons and actually had an interest in it when it first came out. However, at the time I was not in the market for a tablet. This tablet has such a fluid and unique OS, nothing comparable to Android, just a different and very pleasant experience.

Does the Playbook do those tasks better than your Android?

Remember I have an Android phone so it is a smaller device and since it is a phone, I use it mainly to make calls and text messages. I like the open platform on Android, that it is customizable and you can tinker all you want. The Playbook does handle tasks more efficiently than my phone, it is faster but it is like comparing apples to oranges.

What about the Playbook made it top of your list? Price? Unfamiliarity? What?

The price was attractive but it was not the dealbreaker whatsover. I enjoyed the experience and fluidity of the OS, it was different than Android or Apple, and it had enough apps, quality build and productivity tools to make me a happy user.

You admit to the Playbook under performing and suggest that because your use of a tablet is limited to a few items a Playbook would suffice. Price by chance? I am concerned with your lagging Android and Laptop, I have not had a lagging laptop since Win '98 and Android for the last two years.

I never said the Playbook underperformed. Those are words you put in my mouth. I said that it does freeze or lag at times. My Windows 7 laptop has those moments when it freezes and I have to do a reboot and so does my Android phone. I would bet that most people have to reboot their devices from time to time. You must have a really special phone and laptop so consider yourself lucky. I also never said my tablet is limited to a few items. This is where I am not sure what you are talking about but I will refrain from saying anything more on this.

How do you like the price of Playbook apps being 3 times Android? Is there something the Playbook does the Samsung tablet wouldn't do better by chance?

I will admit the prices are not the best for the apps, but I am willing to pay more for an app if it fulfills a need, whether it be for productivity or a fun game to play. My son loves the Playbook and I happily spent 4.99 for Angry Birds because it made him happy. And it is more fun to play on the Playbook than my cell phone. App prices were not a factor in my decision (obviously).

So you bought a tablet that was clearly limited in options which did not matter since you did not need them, had the Playbook costs $399, would you have still bought it?

Who said it was limited in options? I do not use Skype, Kindle or Netflix. You can still read books, watch movies and video chat. Just not with those apps so for me it is not limited. I was just stating the gripes a lot of people have about the device but for me it is a non-issue. And yes, I would have bought the Playbook if it was $399. I love it and look forward to using it everyday.

This I still try to figure out why people say the USB is fragile, does the Playbook have a problem with the USB? There are hundreds of phones on the market using the same connector, why is Playbook's fragile?

It just is, no need to explain this.

Last edited by wafa510; 09-24-12 at 07:40 AM.
    09-24-12 06:38 AM
    Wafa, way to stand up and answer back an obvious troll post. Good original post, good follow-up from most posters, one mean-spirited troll, and one darn good comeback by you. Well done.
    wafa510 likes this.
    09-24-12 09:34 AM
    The playbook is a good tablet, as many people have said on this thread, for what it is. And what it is, is not a media consumption device.

I bought it at Future shop for $150 bucks and I'm not dissatisfied with my purchase, but the limits on the Playbook hit many, probably most, users right off the bat. Everyone knows what they are... no Netflix, no Skype, Kindle must be side-loaded, etc. etc. The so-called video store (at least in Canada) is a joke.

Beyond that, the tablet has many nice features, but I can't help the feeling that it's a work in progress. The browser in my experience is stable but not very fast. The touch screen for web-browsing is a pain, and could easily be improved by using the bezel for scrolling (the j-stroke gesture that enables bezel scrolling is both un-natural and slow). App switching is probably the strongest unique feature. Docs to go is great, and the build quality is rock-solid.

The ever-changing keyboard map is one of those features that should be "un-featured"... too smart for its own good. Typing MUST be automatic and intuitive to be fast... that's the whole beauty of the BB keyboard.

Overall, the tablet misses the refined experience of the BB 9900 that I love. I guess what I really wanted was a 9900 with a 5-inch or 7-inch screen (hint, hint). A killer browser would round out the picture. My hope is that with the 2.1 upgrade, and BB10 to come, it will achieve its potential.

Wife's pushing for me to get an iPad now. She's an iPod user and has tons of apps she wants me to try. Sadly, without at least the key apps, the Playbook -- and BB10 for that matter -- are teetering on the edge of extinction.
    09-24-12 09:52 AM
    I also agree with the OP. Having bought the PB at the original price, I have no regrets, only praise. As I travel abroad for two weeks in every month, I also bought the mini keyboard, and have not used my laptop since. My wife has an iPad, and to be honest with you, it is great for what she uses it for (email, internet) but for business use, or at least for business use as I need it to be, the PB is out on its own.
    09-24-12 09:58 AM
    Wafa, way to stand up and answer back an obvious troll post. Good original post, good follow-up from most posters, one mean-spirited troll, and one darn good comeback by you. Well done.
    Thank you! Well, I was a Journalism major in college
    09-24-12 10:11 AM
    The playbook is a good tablet, as many people have said on this thread, for what it is. And what it is, is not a media consumption device.

I bought it at Future shop for $150 bucks and I'm not dissatisfied with my purchase, but the limits on the Playbook hit many, probably most, users right off the bat. Everyone knows what they are... no Netflix, no Skype, Kindle must be side-loaded, etc. etc. The so-called video store (at least in Canada) is a joke.

Beyond that, the tablet has many nice features, but I can't help the feeling that it's a work in progress. The browser in my experience is stable but not very fast. The touch screen for web-browsing is a pain, and could easily be improved by using the bezel for scrolling (the j-stroke gesture that enables bezel scrolling is both un-natural and slow). App switching is probably the strongest unique feature. Docs to go is great, and the build quality is rock-solid.

The ever-changing keyboard map is one of those features that should be "un-featured"... too smart for its own good. Typing MUST be automatic and intuitive to be fast... that's the whole beauty of the BB keyboard.

Overall, the tablet misses the refined experience of the BB 9900 that I love. I guess what I really wanted was a 9900 with a 5-inch or 7-inch screen (hint, hint). A killer browser would round out the picture. My hope is that with the 2.1 upgrade, and BB10 to come, it will achieve its potential.

Wife's pushing for me to get an iPad now. She's an iPod user and has tons of apps she wants me to try. Sadly, without at least the key apps, the Playbook -- and BB10 for that matter -- are teetering on the edge of extinction.
    Getting an iPad won't make your PlayBook obsolete. I have owned iPads since the beginning and bought a PlayBook because it does some things well that the iPad doesn't - smaller size, lighter weight, USB and HDMI ports, better sound, widescreen format, Flash support in browser.

The iPad is far more versatile. If I were traveling for a week or two, I might be able to get away with carrying the iPad rather than a laptop, which I could never do with a PlayBook, but for day trips, often the PlayBook will do everything I need and fit in a jacket pocket.
    09-24-12 10:22 AM
    I recently used my friends iPad and was annoyed. I kept trying to view You Tube videos and none would open. Visually it is very nice and fluid. It is also too big for my needs at this point. Everybody likes what they like, I have always supported consumer choice.
    09-24-12 01:04 PM
    By the way, can side-load Kindle, which I have on my own PB. That said, my wife and I have moved more toward Kobo.
    09-24-12 01:13 PM
    It's rather disconcerting that a different opinion is immediately dismissed as a 'troll post'.

The OP has a wonderful post, does a GREAT job of telling us why she loves her PlayBook but you have to know that there will always be folks who often need convincing/reassurance. She provided a rational, level headed response to SugarMouth's questions. Why not leave it at that instead of jumping out with the 'troll' label?

From Sugarmouth's profile I see he's got a Bold 9900 and a PlayBook, but from his questions I assume he may be seriously considering going Android. People like him who may be tempted to permanently jump ship are customers that RIM is very eager to retain. Show some more tolerance.
    esk369 and SugarMouth like this.
    09-24-12 01:33 PM
    I recently used my friends iPad and was annoyed. I kept trying to view You Tube videos and none would open. Visually it is very nice and fluid. It is also too big for my needs at this point. Everybody likes what they like, I have always supported consumer choice.
    Huh??? I also prefer the smaller form factor of the PlayBook, but YouTube works on the iPad in many different ways - the YouTube app (which is now gone in iOS 6), any number of third party apps (I like Jasmine), directly from the default browser, many third party browsers... You don't even have to use a mobile site, regular old YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. will work.
    09-24-12 01:55 PM
    Huh??? I also prefer the smaller form factor of the PlayBook, but YouTube works on the iPad in many different ways - the YouTube app (which is now gone in iOS 6), any number of third party apps (I like Jasmine), directly from the default browser, many third party browsers... You don't even have to use a mobile site, regular old YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. will work.
    I know that sounds weird but we were trying to watch a scene from a movie and there were about 5 choices on You Tube and every time we tried to watch one, a message came up that it could not be played. I have no idea why. Maybe something was wrong with his iPad?
    09-24-12 02:07 PM
    I agree with the well written post of the OP.

This has been said before, but the most powerful feature of the Playbook is the Bridge function, and with this, I have not used my laptop in many months.

I believe that if the OP had the benefit of the Bridge feature, I think she would find many more uses for her Playbook.
    wafa510 likes this.
    09-24-12 05:39 PM
    OP, I like your review, but dismissing THE most popular tablet in the world because 'you're annoyed with it" discredits your review IMO. Can everyone else be wrong and the few thousand Playbook users be right? I have seen Blackberry users switch to iPhones and NONE of them have returned to blackberry. I have NEVER seen an iPhone user switch to blackberry.
    09-24-12 06:25 PM
    We have two in the house and I could not agree with you more. I take mine (with keyboard) everywhere and use it for work and play, so much so I had to get a murse to cary mine. I've even found that at home I almost never pull out the laptop anymore, it's playbook all the time. When I want to view something on a larger screen I simply plug the HDMI into my 52" tv and "bam" all the goodness in a bigger format. I've owned one since the day it launched and with bridging, not having native email or calender wasn't an issue, I actually preferred it vs native email. I watched the playbook growing up in front of my eyes and I'm waiting patiently for the day it graduates to BB10.

I know it's been a couple of weeks already but happy belated welcome to the CrackBerry nation...
    I use the hdmi port for movies quit a bit too. Was it my imagination or is this something that is not present on most tablets?
    09-24-12 06:36 PM
    OP, I like your review, but dismissing THE most popular tablet in the world because 'you're annoyed with it" discredits your review IMO. Can everyone else be wrong and the few thousand Playbook users be right? I have seen Blackberry users switch to iPhones and NONE of them have returned to blackberry. I have NEVER seen an iPhone user switch to blackberry.
    Respectfully, I do not agree. I stated that I am all for consumer choice. It was my personal experience that I had with the iPad which helped me make my decision in buying a Playbook. I used a friends iPad and we had trouble opening videos and we actually were both annoyed and had to use my cell to open the video. Being annoyed at something does not discredit my post in any way, shape or form. This is a venue to be open about our opinions and this is a Blackberry forum, isn't it? I dismissed it as an option when choosing a tablet. I stated my experience.
    09-24-12 06:56 PM
    I just caved and bought a case for mine. I normally really don't like using them, but the journal case is so nice and it's on sale. I also have other tablets, but my PB still gets plenty of use. Definitely no buyer's remorse here.
    wafa510 likes this.
    09-24-12 06:57 PM
    SugarMouth, I will answer all your questions:

Was this from curiosity or was there something specific Blackberry had that you needed?

I do not spend over a hundred dollars for something out of curiosity. I spent countless hours researching, reading about the Playbook, its pros and cons and actually had an interest in it when it first came out. However, at the time I was not in the market for a tablet. This tablet has such a fluid and unique OS, nothing comparable to Android, just a different and very pleasant experience.

Does the Playbook do those tasks better than your Android?

Remember I have an Android phone so it is a smaller device and since it is a phone, I use it mainly to make calls and text messages. I like the open platform on Android, that it is customizable and you can tinker all you want. The Playbook does handle tasks more efficiently than my phone, it is faster but it is like comparing apples to oranges.

What about the Playbook made it top of your list? Price? Unfamiliarity? What?

The price was attractive but it was not the dealbreaker whatsover. I enjoyed the experience and fluidity of the OS, it was different than Android or Apple, and it had enough apps, quality build and productivity tools to make me a happy user.

You admit to the Playbook under performing and suggest that because your use of a tablet is limited to a few items a Playbook would suffice. Price by chance? I am concerned with your lagging Android and Laptop, I have not had a lagging laptop since Win '98 and Android for the last two years.

I never said the Playbook underperformed. Those are words you put in my mouth. I said that it does freeze or lag at times. My Windows 7 laptop has those moments when it freezes and I have to do a reboot and so does my Android phone. I would bet that most people have to reboot their devices from time to time. You must have a really special phone and laptop so consider yourself lucky. I also never said my tablet is limited to a few items. This is where I am not sure what you are talking about but I will refrain from saying anything more on this.

How do you like the price of Playbook apps being 3 times Android? Is there something the Playbook does the Samsung tablet wouldn't do better by chance?

I will admit the prices are not the best for the apps, but I am willing to pay more for an app if it fulfills a need, whether it be for productivity or a fun game to play. My son loves the Playbook and I happily spent 4.99 for Angry Birds because it made him happy. And it is more fun to play on the Playbook than my cell phone. App prices were not a factor in my decision (obviously).

So you bought a tablet that was clearly limited in options which did not matter since you did not need them, had the Playbook costs $399, would you have still bought it?

Who said it was limited in options? I do not use Skype, Kindle or Netflix. You can still read books, watch movies and video chat. Just not with those apps so for me it is not limited. I was just stating the gripes a lot of people have about the device but for me it is a non-issue. And yes, I would have bought the Playbook if it was $399. I love it and look forward to using it everyday.

This I still try to figure out why people say the USB is fragile, does the Playbook have a problem with the USB? There are hundreds of phones on the market using the same connector, why is Playbook's fragile?

It just is, no need to explain this.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Wafa!
    09-24-12 08:44 PM
    Someone who has participated on this forum longer than you have is not what I consider a troll! I had valid questions and Wafa answered them. Just because the questions were not favorable to the Playbook does not make it a troll post.

Patrick, I'd suggest you reeducate yourself on the definition of troll before calling me one! This is not the forum for personal attacks, take it elsewhere!
    09-24-12 08:53 PM
    Respectfully, I do not agree. I stated that I am all for consumer choice. It was my personal experience that I had with the iPad which helped me make my decision in buying a Playbook. I used a friends iPad and we had trouble opening videos and we actually were both annoyed and had to use my cell to open the video. Being annoyed at something does not discredit my post in any way, shape or form. This is a venue to be open about our opinions and this is a Blackberry forum, isn't it? I dismissed it as an option when choosing a tablet. I stated my experience.
    Like most women, you expected us to read your mind why you are annoyed with something. LOL! That said,I do appreciate the back and forth. I also appreciate your annoyance with Apple NOW, but I've had the EXACT same annoyances with my playbook and 9800.
    I have never owned an iPhone or iPad, so not providing reasoning why you are annoyed with Apple then boasting about Blackberry didn't seem fair to me.
    jpash549 likes this.
    09-24-12 09:21 PM
    Like most women, you expected us to read your mind why you are annoyed with something. LOL! That said,I do appreciate the back and forth. I also appreciate your annoyance with Apple NOW, but I've had the EXACT same annoyances with my playbook and 9800.
    I have never owned an iPhone or iPad, so not providing reasoning why you are annoyed with Apple then boasting about Blackberry didn't seem fair to me.
    Yup, in the posts on the top of page 3, if you read them all again, I stated I was annoyed at the iPad because we could not get the videos to open. It was just a response to a prior post on this thread talking about the iPad, I just mentioned my experience with it. However, I did say it is nice and fluid, the screen is really nice too, it is just too big for portability for me. As for being like most women...hmmm....let's just leave it at this.....no comment!
    esk369 likes this.
    09-25-12 05:51 AM
    Hopefully you will spread the gospel of BB to your friends. Just let them look at it and see what they think. Sometimes that is enough to counter all of the negative talk from the tech analysts and reporters.
    wafa510 likes this.
    09-25-12 06:18 AM
    The OP writes very well, as well as a journalist paid for advertisement.

Which she is not of course, because she is a housewife.
    09-25-12 06:20 AM
    Hopefully you will spread the gospel of BB to your friends. Just let them look at it and see what they think.
    Oh I don't know about her, but I prefer to hide from my friends that I ever bought a playbook. I prefer to show them my Android tab instead, so they don't laugh at me with despise when I am absent.
    09-25-12 06:23 AM
    The OP writes very well, as well as a journalist paid for advertisement.

Which she is not of course, because she is a housewife.
    Ugh, that was a sexist and derogatory comment. And what makes you think I am a housewife? Then you must be a househusband.
    Last edited by wafa510; 09-25-12 at 06:50 AM.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-25-12 06:38 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD