For the last three months my grandmother has been using my playbook when we come to visit to play solitaire. It started there. Then she asked me to show her how to visit her favorite websites, so we did that. Then she asked me to to help her set up her email on a push account to see how easy it would be to read them, and with her reading glasses she can read emails just fine. Then, just about three weeks ago my grandma was asking me about the prices.

She wanted a tablet to take with her because she and my grandfather are on the road quite a bit, but she didn't want to spend a small fortune on a tablet. I was sitting around recently and newegg or tigerdirect.com, can't remember which one exactly had a three day sale on Playbooks. They were advertising the 64GB model for $169, brand new, unopened! I called grandma and before you know it she had one coming.

I asked her what it was that she liked about the Playbook and she said that she liked the size, fits perfectly in her purse and she loves the swipe and tap to close apps, it makes it very easy for her to remember what to do. The best thing for her, although sometimes a pain for me, was that because I too, had a playbook, she could call me to troubleshoot.

The only thing I think we are going to get her is a fine tip, soft point stylus, as she sometimes taps the wrong box or item which can happen on such a small screen. It helps that accessories have hit an all time low in price and I got her a charging cradle for $15 and the leather envelope case for $4 from Amazon recently.

I guess the point behind all of this is that the Playbook is still a viable option compared to other tablets and it can handle the majority of what you need to do on the computer for recreational use. The next thing we will do is test out my bluetooth keyboard on it to see if she likes it better for composing e-mails.

The Playbook is great, especially if you have someone who doesn't really dig technology but could stand to get with the times a bit, the Playbook is a viable option. I think if you look around you will find that for the money, it is a sure thing.
    06-07-13 08:10 AM
    Thanks for the post Travis.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 10:01 AM
    Make sure to warn her about Sad Old Man in case she ever stumbles across this site

And I know all too well about fixing family up with playbooks and becoming the online support department. Sometimes that video chat is a pain. I sure as hell don't need Skype too
    dphjeff and sad_old_man like this.
    06-07-13 10:08 AM
    Make sure to warn her about Sad Old Man in case she ever stumbles across this site

And I know all too well about fixing family up with playbooks and becoming the online support department. Sometimes that video chat is a pain. I sure as hell don't need Skype too
    Warn her not to be lure by brandy one one hand and pasties on the other. And this man has a cellar.
    06-07-13 10:30 AM
    It's always good to hear older people accepting and using technology. I think it is important to keep your brain (brian? LOL) cells as active and exercised as possible. Also, OP, don't think your post is being hijacked and don't take offense at anything we say. We just have a particular sense of humor here. Alot of inside humor and you might need to read other posts to get the jokes!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 11:15 AM
    I thought that is what Alex Trebek was for
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 11:17 AM
    It's always good to hear older people accepting and using technology. I think it is important to keep your brain (brian? LOL) cells as active and exercised as possible.
    Yes as an example set by our very own sad_old_man.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 11:17 AM
    GBF Travis is a school teacher so he should know how thing get side tracked.. Squirrel
    sad_old_man and travisp11 like this.
    06-07-13 12:07 PM
    Just making sure everyone's on the same page and accepts that it is crazy here. Don't want another "blow up".
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 01:33 PM
    Crazy is a bit harsh don't you think?

We prefer the politically correct label of sanely challenged.
    06-07-13 01:42 PM
    Crazy is a bit harsh don't you think?

We prefer the politically correct label of sanely challenged.
    Nope, not at all. At the risk of being put on "the list", OP may not have encountered S_O_M yet. You have...you make the call!
    06-07-13 01:55 PM
    Good point�.............CRAZY it is.

It scared me to flashback to my first encounter. I need some cellar therapy STAT.
    06-07-13 01:58 PM
    I love how your grandma slowly learned how to make the most of the Playbook. It not rocket science, but I always have to remember how elders do not come from the same background we do. What come intuitively to us when it comes to tech is very foreign and bewildering to the average senior.
    06-07-13 02:05 PM
    Good point….............CRAZY it is.

It scared me to flashback to my first encounter. I need some cellar therapy STAT.
    Haha. At least he only wants to pinch you. He wants me to be eaten by a fox. Sorry, OP...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 02:07 PM
    Thanks for the post, OP. Tell your Grandma her coolness factor just too a giant leap forward. Just remember that she is an Emigrant to technology, while you are a native. It will probably be easier for her to learn one thing at a time so as not to get overwhelmed. She can have tons of picture and vids of family and take more. Just wait until someone asks HER about her grandkids. Forget the measly little brag book!
    And don't worry about the side jokes. All inside humor. Welcome to CrackBerry. Be sure to return often. CrackBerrians are a friendly folk and you will get way more out of your devices thru all you can learn.
    06-07-13 02:24 PM
    Agreed. The news/book reader and media playing streaming is great for my more life experienced family members.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 02:29 PM
    For the last three months my grandmother has been using my playbook when we come to visit to play solitaire. It started there. Then she asked me to show her how to visit her favorite websites, so we did that. Then she asked me to to help her set up her email on a push account to see how easy it would be to read them, and with her reading glasses she can read emails just fine. Then, just about three weeks ago my grandma was asking me about the prices.

She wanted a tablet to take with her because she and my grandfather are on the road quite a bit, but she didn't want to spend a small fortune on a tablet. I was sitting around recently and newegg or tigerdirect.com, can't remember which one exactly had a three day sale on Playbooks. They were advertising the 64GB model for $169, brand new, unopened! I called grandma and before you know it she had one coming.

I asked her what it was that she liked about the Playbook and she said that she liked the size, fits perfectly in her purse and she loves the swipe and tap to close apps, it makes it very easy for her to remember what to do. The best thing for her, although sometimes a pain for me, was that because I too, had a playbook, she could call me to troubleshoot.

The only thing I think we are going to get her is a fine tip, soft point stylus, as she sometimes taps the wrong box or item which can happen on such a small screen. It helps that accessories have hit an all time low in price and I got her a charging cradle for $15 and the leather envelope case for $4 from Amazon recently.

I guess the point behind all of this is that the Playbook is still a viable option compared to other tablets and it can handle the majority of what you need to do on the computer for recreational use. The next thing we will do is test out my bluetooth keyboard on it to see if she likes it better for composing e-mails.

The Playbook is great, especially if you have someone who doesn't really dig technology but could stand to get with the times a bit, the Playbook is a viable option. I think if you look around you will find that for the money, it is a sure thing.
    Ok ok, time out. Thank you OP for reminding me that old people can 'rockin' whatever that is. I too am in mid to nearly mature or as some people describe me 'oh him with one foot in the grave and the other one on banana skin's. Your grandmother sounds very capable of utilising technology better than most non parametric end users and you should be proud of her.

Please don't take any notice of these other comments as most of them are from people that are under care by the mental welfare service and as your avatar states that you are a newbie may I say welcome to the home for the mentally unstable. If you stay long enough you will end up being taken into care for talking to cats, dogs, babies, aircraft, ducks, devils, gooseberries, strange people with a fetishism for snow, little blue ghosts, black and white houses, strange people who vacation in Cincinnati and a list of other strange things too long to mention. Beware you have been warned!

On a side note, a photo of your grandmother would be nice and if you happen to mention to her that I am available? I would appreciate it. Thank you.
    Last edited by sad_old_man; 06-07-13 at 04:17 PM.
    travisp11 likes this.
    06-07-13 02:34 PM
    It's always good to hear older people accepting and using technology. I think it is important to keep your brain (brian? LOL) cells as active and exercised as possible. Also, OP, don't think your post is being hijacked and don't take offense at anything we say. We just have a particular sense of humor here. Alot of inside humor and you might need to read other posts to get the jokes!
    I was thinking as I read the OP (thinking can be unusual), that I wonder if GRANNY is younger than me!!!!!
    06-07-13 03:07 PM
    I love how your grandma slowly learned how to make the most of the Playbook. It not rocket science, but I always have to remember how elders do not come from the same background we do. What come intuitively to us when it comes to tech is very foreign and bewildering to the average senior.
    I resemble that remark!!!!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 03:09 PM
    Hey man, no offense taken. This is the Internet and it pretty much is the wild wild west so replies are fair game.
    Cynycl, dphjeff and sad_old_man like this.
    06-07-13 09:19 PM
    Hey man, no offense taken. This is the Internet and it pretty much is the wild wild west so replies are fair game.
    Welcome to the herd
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 09:21 PM
    Sad Old Man, I'm sorry to have to tell you this but she is taken and yest he is still alive. As for the terminology of "rockin'" what it means is to find some sort of success with something you are doing. It was a futile attempt to capture the lexicon of today's youth.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 09:22 PM
    She was born in 1938 so you can do the math.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 09:23 PM
    so she'll be 92 when bb10 arrives for playbook.

Hang in there granny
    FF22, sad_old_man and travisp11 like this.
    06-07-13 09:31 PM
    You only live once!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-07-13 09:34 PM
70 123