So seeing all of these deals coming down on the Playbook, I figured it would be a good time to pick another one up (I sold my launch day PB in June due to unhappiness, but for the price now you can't beat it).

So this morning seeing that one of the four Futureshop stores still had stock, and seeing the online deal ($399 less a $100 discount that is applied when you purchase instead of the in-store "$100 gift card") I decided to make my move (from my Bold 9900 no less while out for breakfast with the wife). While we were shopping after breakfast I got the email that my PB was waiting for me at Futureshop.

We headed over there to pick it up and when the customer service girl handed me the PB she also handed me a $100 gift card. I inquired about the price I was about to pay, and she confirmed it was $299.99 plus 13% tax, which was the correct amount, but I don't think I was supposed to get the gift card too.

So to sum it all up, I essentially got a brand new 16gb Playbook for $199 at Futureshop, since there is a guarantee I will be using that gift card for something eventually. I'm not sure if this has been the case for anyone else, but I am certainly happy about it.
    pattste likes this.
    09-24-11 08:22 PM
    I bought a PB full retail and love it. Absolutely no second thoughts or regrets. Best electronic device I've bought in years.
    09-24-11 08:35 PM
    Good deal!! Enjoy your PB!
    09-24-11 08:39 PM
    Now that's a deal. If you had waited another week you might have gotten the PB for 0$ seeing how it is dropping down like James Brown.
    louzer likes this.
    09-24-11 08:39 PM
    Congrats on the deal. With all these sales on I think these things are actually going to start selling. Thats def a good thing.

With the Back to School rebate combined with the Telus employee deal my wife and I both got 32gb PlayBooks for $299. Very happy about that.
    09-24-11 09:00 PM
    Congrats on Future Shop's mistake.
    09-24-11 09:07 PM
    nice bro! I am going to wait til OS 2.0 drops so I can pick up a PB w/ it already installed. Plus, they might have 50 percent off sales without any rebates/pre-paid cards. Just a good ol' half price promo.

At least, I wish that will happen =D
    09-24-11 09:11 PM
    Man I just registered for this site to confirm this exact same story happen to me except I picked up the 32GB model instead... Man it's like Christmas all over again! 32GB PB for $299 CDN!
    pattste likes this.
    09-24-11 09:58 PM
    wow your lucky... i ordered a PB for in store pickup today at best buy. Online it said I would be paying 299, but when i arrived in store they insisted that i pay the 399 and get the gift card which is not what i wanted to do... Left the store and ordered one online for 299 lol...
    09-25-11 12:39 AM
    I bought a PB full retail and love it. Absolutely no second thoughts or regrets. Best electronic device I've bought in years.
    Yeah neither the "Ab Roller" nor the "Salad Shooter" qualify as "electronic devices." But you're right when you claim the PlayBook is far superior to both.
    09-25-11 12:46 AM
    Now that's a deal. If you had waited another week you might have gotten the PB for 0$ seeing how it is dropping down like James Brown.
    I don't like the idea, but I think "dropping down like James Brown", is possibly the best use of imagary I've ever seen used in a forum post!
    09-25-11 12:52 AM
    They seem to be selling at this price from futureshop online. The online stock for 16GB says "Temporarily out of stock: usually ships in 6-7 business days. 202 units available for backorder." The online stock for 32GB says "Quantity Remaining: 19", 64GB just says available online.

The blurb about out of stock says "Out of Stock: Will ship when available. This product is currently out of stock in our warehouse and we have ordered more from the manufacturer. We are unable to obtain a precise date of availability from the manufacturer, but we are trying our best to confirm availability dates. The product will be shipped as soon as the stock is available."
    Last edited by djenkins6; 09-25-11 at 07:21 AM.
    09-25-11 07:17 AM
    LOL, straightshooter, I am happy for you on your great deal. I am dying to know what this whole adventure cost you? You purchased a PB back in April, sold it in June, and bought a new one now. So what's your total out of pocket?
    09-25-11 09:52 AM
    LOL, straightshooter, I am happy for you on your great deal. I am dying to know what this whole adventure cost you? You purchased a PB back in April, sold it in June, and bought a new one now. So what's your total out of pocket?
    Well I sold the one back in June for $400 to someone local, so it ended up costing me around $299 total when you factor in the $100 gift card. If unwilling to look at that as cash, then it would be $399 total. Decent enough.
    09-25-11 10:00 AM
    They seem to be selling at this price from futureshop online. The online stock for 16GB says "Temporarily out of stock: usually ships in 6-7 business days. 202 units available for backorder." The online stock for 32GB says "Quantity Remaining: 19", 64GB just says available online.

The blurb about out of stock says "Out of Stock: Will ship when available. This product is currently out of stock in our warehouse and we have ordered more from the manufacturer. We are unable to obtain a precise date of availability from the manufacturer, but we are trying our best to confirm availability dates. The product will be shipped as soon as the stock is available."
    +1

I even did a store stock check in my area and three locations were out of stock: Burlington, Richmond Hill and Markham. Keep it going, people!!
    09-25-11 10:06 AM
    wow your lucky... i ordered a PB for in store pickup today at best buy. Online it said I would be paying 299, but when i arrived in store they insisted that i pay the 399 and get the gift card which is not what i wanted to do... Left the store and ordered one online for 299 lol...
    I ordered a 16GB BlackBerry PlayBook online from FutureShop.ca and the invoice emailed to me stated CAD 299.99 plus applicable taxes for a total of approximately CAD 350.00. I opted for in-store pickup in part because the extra CAD 100.00 discount would be applied to the purchase instead of receiving a gift card. I arrive at the store stated on the invoice with a copy of the invoice in hand as well as the order confirmation email sent after the store had put away the unit for me. Alas, the sales clerk at the customer service counter was completely baffled and said she could not locate the CAD 299.99 purchase price; it was CAD 399.99 according to her. Yep, the CAD 399.99 is the on-sale price reduced from CAD 499.99 but my invoice clearly stated I was to be charged CAD 299.99 in lieu of a gift card if I picked up the order in-store after placing the online order. I ended up paying the CAD 399.99 plus application taxes and took the CAD 100.00 gift card because I wanted a solar-powered Bluetooth-enabled hands-free accessory for the car anyway and this would make that purchase "free" with some credit left over possibly for a screen protector for the new tablet. I already have a screen protector for it from the purchase of a genuine leather case from Staples but the matte-finish screen protector on my other tablet works great to reduce glare from sunlight and especially fluorescent lighting in the workplace. I am updating the software on the tablet as I type this message and will be installing a few applications soon. When the air-vent-mount for the 32GB BlackBerry PlayBook arrives the car will have a couple of new accessories.
    09-25-11 02:07 PM
    Exact same thing happened to me. I placed two orders for 16GB models to be picked up at the store for $299 each with all the discounts applied. So when I picked up the units the clerk, gave me additional $100 gift cards for each of the units. So basically got them for $199 each also!

So seeing all of these deals coming down on the Playbook, I figured it would be a good time to pick another one up (I sold my launch day PB in June due to unhappiness, but for the price now you can't beat it).

So this morning seeing that one of the four Futureshop stores still had stock, and seeing the online deal ($399 less a $100 discount that is applied when you purchase instead of the in-store "$100 gift card") I decided to make my move (from my Bold 9900 no less while out for breakfast with the wife). While we were shopping after breakfast I got the email that my PB was waiting for me at Futureshop.

We headed over there to pick it up and when the customer service girl handed me the PB she also handed me a $100 gift card. I inquired about the price I was about to pay, and she confirmed it was $299.99 plus 13% tax, which was the correct amount, but I don't think I was supposed to get the gift card too.

So to sum it all up, I essentially got a brand new 16gb Playbook for $199 at Futureshop, since there is a guarantee I will be using that gift card for something eventually. I'm not sure if this has been the case for anyone else, but I am certainly happy about it.
    09-25-11 04:04 PM
    Exact same thing happened to me. I placed two orders for 16GB models to be picked up at the store for $299 each with all the discounts applied. So when I picked up the units the clerk, gave me additional $100 gift cards for each of the units. So basically got them for $199 each also!
    Your clerk was obviously more customer-focused than the clerk with whom I dealt. But I did not feel like explaining basic arithmetic and contract law to the clerk. I will return to FutureShop to speak with someone about a refund of CAD 100.00 plus applicable taxes. I have the original sales receipt from the online order including their own computer-generated notation regarding in-store pickup having been scheduled, and the clearly indicated purchase price plus applicable taxes.
    09-25-11 06:55 PM
    it is a very nice
    06-27-14 06:23 AM
    it is a very nice
    You've brought back a number of old posts back from the dead. I see you are new here, so please be conscious of the date of the last post before replying to a thread unless there is value being added.
    07-02-14 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD