First of all, this isn't a hate thread. I stan hard when it comes to BB and RIM in general. I got the PlayBook as a gift for my birthday, knew getting a PB would be an investment seeing as it would receive the update to BB10 in the near future.

But ever since I updated my PB a few days ago, my PB has been temperamental! It has it's beautiful moments where the flow between apps and browswer tabs are fluid, less checkerboarding and all that, but then come the times where the device almost becomes unsuable, crashes, slow keyboard responses and all sorts.

I was hoping in being able to maybe clean the system by manually installing the latest update after performing a clean wipe, I've downloaded the latest bar, but I don't where to go from there. So, CrackBerry nation, help a brother out!

Thank you :-)
    12-22-12 05:59 PM
    You should first try this:
    1. Hard reset- pressing Volume up + volume down + Power button for sometime

Then you can go on to..
    Factory reset and update (BACKUP FIRST)
    or if you want to do it manually, You can flash the latest OS using Dingleberry.. There are guides under the "rooting" section.. just follow the flashing part the rest of the rooting process won't work..
    Bilaal and CommanderElvis like this.
    12-22-12 06:11 PM
    I tried the hard reset, it provides a temporary fix before the device slows down again.
    Thank you for the DIngleBerry recommendation, I'll have a look into it and report back! Thanks, once again
    12-22-12 06:22 PM
    Don't forget to back up, then wipe then reload os. Try this before dingleberry as it fixes issues your having most of the time.
    12-22-12 07:47 PM
    Thanks all. I've been looking around for possible solutions, but in my case I suspect it's hardware as I can only hold a connection (either bridge or WiFi) for a few minutes after reboot. I have to eliminate all the other possibilities, since it began to degrade just after the update.
    12-22-12 07:48 PM
    You should first try this:
    1. Hard reset- pressing Volume up + volume down + Power button for sometime

Then you can go on to..
    Factory reset and update (BACKUP FIRST)
    or if you want to do it manually, You can flash the latest OS using Dingleberry.. There are guides under the "rooting" section.. just follow the flashing part the rest of the rooting process won't work..
    to do a hard reset you need only press the power button for 10+ seconds,,, holding the vol +/- buttons in any combination, whole or in part, does nothing,,, just ask Rim support...
    12-22-12 08:52 PM
    i had similar problems after 2.1. i eventually did a swipe and reload and have had no problems since. hard reset did not help.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    12-22-12 09:01 PM
    I didn't necessarily create a backup as I only just needed to move a few TV show episodes off the device and onto my Computer, performed a security wipe and everything seems to be running extra smooth!

Thanks for the reply, guys. I don't think I'm every gonna mess with DingleBerry and such, I don't wanna risk bricking my device.
    12-22-12 10:52 PM
    to do a hard reset you need only press the power button for 10+ seconds,,, holding the vol +/- buttons in any combination, whole or in part, does nothing,,, just ask Rim support...

I'm sorry but you've been given incorrect information. You must have talked to a RIM support trainee. Fact: Pressing and holding the power button accomplishes nothing but turning off the PB. Period. There IS a correct method for performing a hard reset/reboot and the verifying indication of a true hard reset is the same as on your BB phone, the PB will reboot/power on automatically by itself, manual pressing the power button not required. This hard reset has the same effect as a battery pull.
    By pressing and holding the power button only, after the option notification (off-standby-restart) a "Turning Off PlayBook" notification appears and then the PB turns off. That is not a reset. During a successful hard reset, you don't get the "Turning PlayBook Off" notification. The proper hard reset
    steps are:

1- Press and hold the power button and the +volume button simultaneously (-volume button is not necessary)
    2- As you continue to hold the buttons down, disregard the option notification (Off - Standby - Restart)
    3- Continue to hold buttons until screen goes off (very lightly backlit/glow) and then goes completely black
    4- Release buttons. Within a second or two the red LED will come on and the PB will begin to power on automatically.

If you get a "Turning PlayBook Off" notification after the "option" notification, you have not had a successful hard reset and you will have to turn the PB back on manually. Try it, it works.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-23-12 at 01:51 AM.
    Bilaal, CdaS and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    12-23-12 12:12 AM
    i musta got 2 trainees,,, you are correct,,, one told me hold for 10+ secs,,, the other hold for 40 secs,,, for some reason the 40 sec version worked while i was on the phone w/ the 1st one but i haven't been able to duplicate it,,, 'preciate that...

EDIT: holding power button down does do a hard reset, it just doesn't power back on automatically,,, they way i know this is because my empty blackberry bridge folder comes back after hard reset, once i open it & close, it disappears,,, it's empty because i either moved things to another folder,(i use folders to keep my homepage cleaner looking), or deleted anything unnecessary,,, & also because of this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-down-759116/
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 12-23-12 at 04:29 PM.
    12-23-12 03:59 PM
    i musta got 2 trainees,,, you are correct,,, one told me hold for 10+ secs,,, the other hold for 40 secs,,, for some reason the 40 sec version worked while i was on the phone w/ the 1st one but i haven't been able to duplicate it,,, 'preciate that...

EDIT: holding power button down does do a hard reset, it just doesn't power back on automatically,,, they way i know this is because my empty blackberry bridge folder comes back after hard reset, once i open it & close, it disappears,,, it's empty because i either moved things to another folder,(i use folders to keep my homepage cleaner looking), or deleted anything unnecessary,,, & also because of this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-down-759116/
    I understand what you're saying but what you described with your bridge folder occurs with mine on a normal shutdown. If you get a notification before the shutdown that says "Turning PlayBook Off" then obviously that's all you're doing and the PB is going through normal shutdown procedures. A power button (normal ) shutdown allows processes and services, as well as kernels to normally close before powering down. A hard reset doesn't allow those process to normally close. I don't know how else to put it. Pushing the power button until the PB powers off is a normal and published procedure in the manual. A hard reset replicates a battery pull and pushing the power button doesn't do this or it would restart on it's own. All I can say is that the RIM tech (Enterprise device) that set us up with the PBs at work demoed a hard reset and explained what the function performed and what is not accomplished with a powerbutton shutdown, and why the hard reset procedure is recommended when trying to resolve an issue that powering off with the powerbutton won't accomplish, which he referred to as a "soft reset". But you do what works for you
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-24-12 01:24 AM