I came across this while browsing the web

10-inch Kindle Fire production by holiday season tip insiders

Chris Davies, Sep 30th 2011

Amazon�s 10.1-inch Kindle Fire tablet is expected to hit production before the end of the year, with shipments potentially in time for the 2011 holiday sales season, according to the latest rumors. Although the larger Kindle tablet was initially tipped for release in early 2012,*DigiTimes� sources reckon Amazon is pushing ahead with a more aggressive timescale for the Foxconn-produced 10-incher.

Foxconn already produces the Amazon Kindle ereaders for the retailer, though reportedly passed up on the Kindle Fire production contract as it was already stretched manufacturing Apple�s iPad. Instead, Amazon supposedly worked with Quanta on designing and producing the 7-inch Kindle Fire, basing the tablet, in part, on the existing legwork Quanta had done on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Previous rumors have suggested that it�s the larger tablet that Amazon is most proud of, with the model announced on Wednesday being something of a rush-job to get to the market in time. It�s not expected to ship until November 15, however, which wouldn�t leave much time prior to the holidays for Amazon to also make a suitable song and dance about the 10-inch version.

If this is true it makes me wonder if this is the rumored 10inch design of the playbook. On top of all the bad press the playbook has gotten it kills me how the early reviews for the kindle fire are amazing. Excellent hardware, fast processor, and no mention of its 7 inch size as a liability. Yet the only thing positive critics say about the playbook is it web browser.
    There no wonder there was never a Kindle app for playbook. Amazon probably made one and saw how great it looked and performed on the quanta device. Also in the video the page turning GUI looked strikingly similar to the TAT touch put on scrolling through pictures on the playbook.
    As i watch the kindle fire it feels like the knife being turned in my back and all i can yell is RIM do something...fight like Americans and sue someone. Its like RIM is excluded from the good ole boys club (US tech companies) and regardless of device release will never get a fair chance.
    10-02-11 04:11 PM
    Other than the low price I think the release of the KF is good for the PlayBook. At least it has raised some awareness of it and without RIM spending marketing $$. Now if RIM can turn this awareness into something good.. that is the question.
    10-02-11 04:15 PM
    I guess its not a fight for the best device anymore. The fight is who can leverage their web presence.
    Thanks to Android, any fool can come up with a mobile device. Get the hardware made in China, load Android and pimp out your own web presence through that device. R&D? What's that?
    10-02-11 04:17 PM
    Other than the low price I think the release of the KF is good for the PlayBook. At least it has raised some awareness of it and without RIM spending marketing $$. Now if RIM can turn this awareness into something good.. that is the question.
    RIM has failed to distinguish itself from its competitors and you think more competition is somehow positive? It stepped into the ring without gloves on and inadequate training. Its going to get knocked out.
    RCCollins likes this.
    10-02-11 04:35 PM
    Maybe Amazon has been holing out on the kindle app for playbook cause they will release a Kindle Fire app for playbook that is basically the Fire OS. Then the playbook would be seen as a bigger cousin of the amazon tablet rather than being a direct competitor. Amazon isn't selling it at such a cheap price cause they are in it to make money on the hardware. They want to make money on the content they provide. RIM is desperate to have people develop apps for the playbook and the reason why we haven't hear an announcement about what rim thinks about the fire, is because they don't want to squash the relationship they are trying to build with amazon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-11 06:06 PM
    Maybe Amazon has been holing out on the kindle app for playbook cause they will release a Kindle Fire app for playbook that is basically the Fire OS. Then the playbook would be seen as a bigger cousin of the amazon tablet rather than being a direct competitor. Amazon isn't selling it at such a cheap price cause they are in it to make money on the hardware. They want to make money on the content they provide. RIM is desperate to have people develop apps for the playbook and the reason why we haven't hear an announcement about what rim thinks about the fire, is because they don't want to squash the relationship they are trying to build with amazon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Interesting thought. If that is indeed the case, if not then RIM should do or say something.
    But no matter what relationship your trying to build, if it kills you...its not a good relationship.
    Also, that line of thinking didn't apply to Android or Apple, why do they have kindle apps without waiting for the fire to burn into their earnings.
    10-02-11 06:19 PM
    I do not think Amazon has any plans to help a competitor. They proved it by basically stealing the PB right out from under RIMs nose. I think they plan to bury RIM.
    10-02-11 06:44 PM
    I do not think Amazon has any plans to help a competitor. They proved it by basically stealing the PB right out from under RIMs nose. I think they plan to bury RIM.
    Is Amazon in the smartphone market now? Until they enter that market I don't think they are really out to bury Rim.

As for stealing the PB right out from under Rim, I agree fully with you. And I would hope that Rim's legal department is hard at work figuring out what legal recourse they may have. Apple has won injunctions against Samsung because their tablet looks too much like an iPad. I'd say they have set precedent for a Rim win there as the Fire does far more to damage Rim than just look similar. I think both Qanta and Amazon may find themselves in court over this one.
    10-02-11 06:53 PM
    RIM cannot sue Amazon simply because the playbook was not their design, they outsourced it. So did Amazon and look what happened, Qanta made the Kindle fire identically to the PB.

So who needs to sue who?
    10-02-11 07:19 PM
    Even if they outsourced the work RIM should still hold rights on the design.
    10-02-11 07:21 PM
    Amazon will look for any and all reasons to make money. They have no qualms. I HIGHLY doubt that they held out on a PB app to sabotage it. These are the same folks who sell the Playbook!

I would guess the lack of an app has to do more with relatively low demand for one. I am sure it will come out eventually.
    10-02-11 07:29 PM
    The thing that I see as being disappointing to me is developers will not initiate any new plans for the PB with all the bad press RIM and the PB have been getting from the day the PB was launched. We will never know if potential developers are/will turn their backs on the PB because we will never see their potential products.

For example, I have a Slingbox and while Slingbox has an app for some BB handsets, they stopped introducing more compatible versions of Slingbox Mobile for any BB from the Torch 9800 onward. And I can see them not creating anymore compatible versions, especially for the PB.

That is the most disappointing thing for me.
    10-02-11 08:02 PM
    I think HTC and Moto and Samsung should take notice. All Android tablet makers should. The KF is an Android tablet. Playbook is QNX.
    10-02-11 08:09 PM
    RIM has failed to distinguish itself from its competitors and you think more competition is somehow positive? It stepped into the ring without gloves on and inadequate training. Its going to get knocked out.

RIM did sit itself appart from all other tablets, by being the only tablet to clear government security standards. They also pair well with BB phones, so they still have a wide consumer base to sell to. With better and free software updates being pushed out every few months, the playbook is getting better. App world is also maturing and no where near where it should be, but it keeps on growing.

The playbook was announced dead on arrival and it has overcome many critics false predictions. In the business world, it is far from being knocked out. Maybe a little punch drunk, but RIM will work it out. The future of the bb phones depend on qnx, so the playbook will get a free ride, no matter what their profit loss may be.
    10-02-11 08:23 PM
    RIM cannot sue Amazon simply because the playbook was not their design, they outsourced it. So did Amazon and look what happened, Qanta made the Kindle fire identically to the PB.

So who needs to sue who?
    do you have any evidence of that claim? even if RIM outsourced they are bound by certain agreements.

I think RIM will definitely will do something about it, if not stop it they will atleast extract the value proportion out of it either by pushing Amazon to release a music, videos and kindle app for playbook and IMO they will not let it go so easily.
    10-02-11 08:44 PM
    I don't know that they would have any basis to sue but it seems if RIM were apple it would all ready be a headline. I don't know how it's going to effect the playbook but it will sell simply because it's cheap and people like amazon.
    10-02-11 09:05 PM
    there is a slight difference in size between the two and maybe thye were waiting on PB to run android apps to release the kindle reader to playbook .
    10-02-11 09:15 PM
    there is a slight difference in size between the two and maybe thye were waiting on PB to run android apps to release the kindle reader to playbook .
    I would prefer native QNX Kindle app.
    QNX apps are so much better than Android apps. Just the swipe gestures, multitouch. Android feels amateurish in front of QNX.
    10-03-11 03:05 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    do you have any evidence of that claim? even if RIM outsourced they are bound by certain agreements.

I think RIM will definitely will do something about it, if not stop it they will atleast extract the value proportion out of it either by pushing Amazon to release a music, videos and kindle app for playbook and IMO they will not let it go so easily.
    RIM needs to step up big time at DEVCON and Then with a major immediate release of OS 2.0!!... and a big-time advertising blitz ... to showcase the new professional grade Playbook!! ... get it out there in the hands of millions!! .. even at $299 ....
    10-03-11 03:18 AM
    what gets me is the hatred for BB... I have an android fanboy tell me the other day that the kindle fire makes sense to him but he would never consider owning a playbook... why... the playbook has tons more features and capabilities and costs 50 dollars more than the fire... No... no kindle app just yet. But I'm pretty sure it's coming at some point. Maybe through the android app player. But the blind hatred for BB's astounds me..
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-03-11 08:26 AM
    what gets me is the hatred for BB... I have an android fanboy tell me the other day that the kindle fire makes sense to him but he would never consider owning a playbook... why... the playbook has tons more features and capabilities and costs 50 dollars more than the fire... No... no kindle app just yet. But I'm pretty sure it's coming at some point. Maybe through the android app player. But the blind hatred for BB's astounds me..
    Think about it.

The Kindle Fire makes sense to a lot of people, way more so than the Playbook. It's not hatred. Its ecosystem and price.

Explain to me, a Joe Schmo user, who is getting is first tablet as to why I should get the Playbook over the Amazon tablet.

Keep in mind, my only real concept of a tablet may be the iPad. I don't have a Blackberry device and the tablet is gonna be a novelty item. Oh yeah, like a few of my neighbors, i really, really like Amazon.

Go ahead, convince me. Tell me why my choice also makes you feel like I have a blind hate for an item I probably have never heard of.

Here is something else for everyone to chew on: 2,0, in and of itself, will do NOTHING to spur adoption amongst most consumers.
    CousinIT likes this.
    10-03-11 09:08 AM
    Think about it.

The Kindle Fire makes sense to a lot of people, way more so than the Playbook. It's not hatred. Its ecosystem and price.

Explain to me, a Joe Schmo user, who is getting is first tablet as to why I should get the Playbook over the Amazon tablet.

Keep in mind, my only real concept of a tablet may be the iPad. I don't have a Blackberry device and the tablet is gonna be a novelty item. Oh yeah, like a few of my neighbors, i really, really like Amazon.

Go ahead, convince me. Tell me why my choice also makes you feel like I have a blind hate for an item I probably have never heard of.

Here is something else for everyone to chew on: 2,0, in and of itself, will do NOTHING to spur adoption amongst most consumers.
    Okay, for $50 more you can get the same sized tablet with a 5 mp camera and front facing 3 mp camera for video chatting. You will be able to video record in 1080p high def and hdmi out to your TV in high def. This tablet has twice the memory but also can access the amazon cloud and amazon prime movies and TV shows. By the end of the month it will run most if not all the android apps your kindle can run plus native QNX apps that your kindle will never be able to run.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-03-11 09:22 AM
    +1

Technical supremacy of specification wins no sales... remember VHS Vs Betamax?.. even waaaay back then it was about the content.

Nobody hates on amazon..its a great online retailer, and..
    Amazon app store ..20,000 apps
    Amazon music library 17 million songs
    Amazon video library 100,000 or so..
    Amazon TV etc

BB PB Apps...1500 apps

QNX has great promise but right now.. the fabled os 2.0 and a $299 tag needs support of apps..
    Cant call this a business machine and not have TURN BY TURN DIRECTIONS for example

Think about it.

10-03-11 09:32 AM
    +1

Technical supremacy of specification wins no sales... remember VHS Vs Betamax?.. even waaaay back then it was about the content.

Nobody hates on amazon..its a great online retailer, and..
    Amazon app store ..20,000 apps
    Amazon music library 17 million songs
    Amazon video library 100,000 or so..
    Amazon TV etc

BB PB Apps...1500 apps

QNX has great promise but right now.. the fabled os 2.0 and a $299 tag needs support of apps..
    Cant call this a business machine and not have TURN BY TURN DIRECTIONS for example
    My laptop doesn't have turn by turn navigation either...is it also no longer a business machine? I should contact my IT department immediately to let them know.
    10-03-11 09:41 AM
    Okay, for $50 more you can get the same sized tablet with a 5 mp camera and front facing 3 mp camera for video chatting. You will be able to video record in 1080p high def and hdmi out to your TV in high def. This tablet has twice the memory but also can access the amazon cloud and amazon prime movies and TV shows. By the end of the month it will run most if not all the android apps your kindle can run plus native QNX apps that your kindle will never be able to run.

$50 difference? Isn't the PB on sale for $299 after mail in rebates? I think there may be another $50 rebate to get it down to $249 but a lot of people don't want to fool with MIR and also is it set in stone that the PB is going to be $299? Walmart has them for $499, well they did Friday when I was in there.

I think the KF should have included a FF camera for video chat but I'm pretty sure v2 will get it.

Even if the PB was $299 fixed and the KF was $199 and all I cared about was videos,a few apps and books it wouldn't make since to spend the addition $100 even with the more powerful hardware it doesn't matter if I don't use it. That $100 addition can go for accessories or content.

It's not always about specs unless you plan on racing cars.

Amazon and Kindle have good name recognition for the base avg user.
    10-03-11 09:50 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD