01-14-12 03:30 PM
50 12
tools
    Again.Why not just contact RIM directly and have them replace / fix it under warranty ? As many on this site have attested RIM's warranty work is 2nd to none.
    Why would you do this if you can just walk into the store and get a replacement?

People use manufacturer's warranty only when they have to - like if the store return policy period expires.
    01-13-12 08:10 AM
    Perhaps Sprint is not passing off used models as new since that would be fraud. But a number of companies replace defective returns with refurbished units. I have had a personal experience with Dell and a monitor that was defective. The replacement was not a new unit but it has been at least 5 years and is still working fine.

3 defective units in a row is highly unlikely and suspicious.
    01-13-12 08:31 AM
    See my post for a detailed account of my dead pixel issues (I'm hoping to receive my 4th unit soon)
    01-13-12 08:41 AM
    Some people have horrible luck. Hope yours changes and you get a good one.
    01-13-12 09:11 AM
    Get yourself down on one knee, one elbow to knee, rolled up hand to forehead, eyes closed, and maybe, just maybe.................
    01-13-12 09:47 AM
    I think you should stop buying from the same Sprint store because that's where the bad shipped batch are. Try picking up your PlayBook at a totally different location.
    01-13-12 10:10 AM
    my first PB was from launch day, it had LOTS of issues. The browser crashed every single time, it had awful connection via wifi and when 1.5 or so came out, it wasn't able to update. Did a security wipe back then, even reloaded the OS and was stuck with a OS 1.1 playbook until I got it exchanged for the 2nd one.

This one, so far, so good
    01-13-12 10:35 AM
    i dont get why people dont check the products before buying? First one i got i had a dead pixel (didnt check before walking out). When i went to exchange it, i turned it on and checked the replacement had no problems right in the store before i walked out of there
    01-13-12 11:01 AM
    Now there's another person claiming to have bought & exchanged 3 PB's in a row because of dead pixles. That's 3 people reporting this same phenominon in the last 12 hours ...

By the time I get home from work I bet there will be a dozen people here stating they had to buy 4 playbooks to get a working one.

I'm kind of surprised no one has come by that returned 6 in a row yet.
    01-13-12 11:12 AM
    i purchased 100 playbooks each with 2.5 dead pixels on every 7 1/2 one. If I return 13 of them and send 12 in for warranty, what time does train A reach the station?
    01-13-12 11:23 AM
    Since my last post 5 minutes ago another person showed up that bought and returned 3 pb's ... then on the fourth unit went to return it and the this time opened 3 more defective ones in a row at the store ... so after trying 7 total , bought a defective one anyways.

It's an odd situation to say the least.

That's 4 people that needed to buy and return 15 playbooks to each have a working one !
    01-13-12 11:37 AM
    And one of them said that a good one he had had a raised power button that later sunk and he returned that one too. If it still works why return it. I haven't used the power button since I bought mine in Nov. And if I have to turn it off I touch the battery icon or the power off icon. And these dead pixels, are they the ones on the right side of the screen halfway up that are only noticeable when booting up and the black screen has a lighter shade there? That doesn't bother me at all and cannot even notice when using my PB.
    01-13-12 11:52 AM
    Since my last post 5 minutes ago another person showed up that bought and returned 3 pb's ... then on the fourth unit went to return it and the this time opened 3 more defective ones in a row at the store ... so after trying 7 total , bought a defective one anyways.

It's an odd situation to say the least.

That's 4 people that needed to buy and return 15 playbooks to each have a working one !
    Did you forget this thread posted by me?

What is wrong with PlayBook QC

Yes, I went through 4 PBs all from the same FutureShop before I gave up on buying them there after being convinced that there is something foul going on with their shipment and decided to change the store I am buying from. I picked up my 5th unit (64GB PB for $299) from London Drugs near by and the unit has been basically perfect (slight bulge that I fixed as per instructions found here.

So yeah, OPs observation is most definitely not that odd. There are some bad shipments of PBs floating out there. The unit that I got from London Drugs was from an old shipment, prior to the discounts coming into effect. They happened to have one lonely remaining 64GB unit in their store but it happens to have been a good one.

I love my PlayBook now, but I almost gave up on it after having to return 4 of them.
    01-13-12 11:59 AM
    So let me get this straight , we now have 2 people right here in this thread that bought & exchanged 3 PB's in a row for dead pixles , one from all the same place and the other from different places ? that's pretty wild ...
    A little math. I'm estimating that around 750,000 PlayBooks have now been sold. Suppose the defect rate is 3%, which I believe would be reasonable for electronic device fabrication today.

About 22,500 people would get a defective PlayBook. If each of them returned it for a new one, around 675 would again get a defective one. If those 675 again exchanged it rather than asking for refund, around 20 would get a third defective PlayBook. And if 10% of them came to CrackBerry to complain, well, two would show up here.

Actually, that way underestimates the number of people who get stuck with defective PlayBooks more than once. That is because defects often occur in series. Quality control these days only checks samples, not every device off the assembly line. As was pointed out above, a bad batch probably got sent to Sprint and distributed in the stores in the same area. The risk of getting a second or third bad PlayBook from a bad batch is much higher then 3%.
    dejanh likes this.
    01-13-12 12:17 PM
    I just find it bizzare that someone would return something 4 times to the same store and not be offered or ask for a refund ... or contact the manufacturer.

This seems absolutley rampant now. Where's the media reports of multiple people returning up to 4 , 5 ... even 6 PB's due to defects ?

You'd think that this would be big news.
    01-13-12 12:19 PM
    My wife's playbook has a pixel that sticks green during the black boot screen. Odd thing is, that's the only time you can see it. When using the device, stuck pixel goes away. No big deal really. She's thrilled with it.

I'm glad people are being persistent in exchanging their playbooks. I benefitted from this by picking up a refurb 32G from Best Buy for $189. That was less than I paid for my wife's 16Gb during the blowout pricing. It has performed perfectly and I love it.
    01-13-12 12:45 PM
    I just find it bizzare that someone would return something 4 times to the same store and not be offered or ask for a refund ... or contact the manufacturer.

This seems absolutley rampant now. Where's the media reports of multiple people returning up to 4 , 5 ... even 6 PB's due to defects ?

You'd think that this would be big news.
    If it was Apple maybe, but this is RIM we are talking about and next to nobody is watching them any more...not until OS 2.0 is out that is anyway. Having said that, the last thing we need is bad publicity due to high returns. I do not believe that this high return rate for defects is symptomatic of a larger problem. I think that there are bad batches that simply made it out of the factory and to some stores...that's all. Those that have a bad experience (like me and the OP, and some others) are much more likely to post comments about that here than somebody who bought 5 PlayBooks for the whole family and is absolutely thrilled with them.
    01-13-12 01:25 PM
    I just got done returning my 3rd Playbook because they all had dead pixels, dust under the screen, and backlight bleeding. What is the story?

I bought for $199 at Sprint but this is not acceptable. I really wanted this device to work.

Do you think they are just flooding with all inventory just to minimize losses?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    i bought two from sprint st 199 each, both are in good condition, hope you get this resolved!
    01-13-12 01:38 PM
    luck of the draw i guess

mine's great

perhaps some factories are under different amounts of pressure - but, maybe the playbook is only made in one factory
    01-13-12 08:24 PM
    we have 4 in our house and absolutely no issues. in fact i think the pb is a quality device as compared to the others i saw.
    01-13-12 09:48 PM
    LOL...

Seriously, no offense to the OP, but I find these kinda posts hard to believe
    I agree that this post is hard to believe. That being said, you can't really exchange a Playbook you bought at Staples at a Best Buy.
    01-14-12 08:21 AM
    I just got done returning my 3rd Playbook because they all had dead pixels, dust under the screen, and backlight bleeding. What is the story?

I bought for $199 at Sprint but this is not acceptable. I really wanted this device to work.

Do you think they are just flooding with all inventory just to minimize losses?

You have every right to complain if you purchased a premium electronics product and it is defective. Like most others here my experience has been trouble free. That having been said, dust under the screen? Do you live in a desert?
    01-14-12 08:55 AM
    You have every right to complain if you purchased a premium electronics product and it is defective. Like most others here my experience has been trouble free. That having been said, dust under the screen? Do you live in a desert?
    Actually I do live in a desert, Phoenix area...

01-14-12 10:34 AM
    So do they sell dust covers or something. Surely this is not the first electronic device to have this problem in a desert area.
    01-14-12 03:23 PM
    FTR I've had my PlayBook since April 2011, and I live in Phoenix. Not a spec of dust under the screen.

Anyhow, I don't believe we need a new thread every time someone has a dead pixel or returns their PB for one reason or another. There are existing threads with this topic, join the conversation there, please.
    mikeplus1 and jafobabe like this.
    01-14-12 03:30 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD