Have you ever tried to transfer the data from one touch to another touch? Im ready to return her birthday present and get her a Playbook!!! Now I remember why I love my Playbook so much!!! Lol
    bitek and playbookster like this.
    08-16-12 08:04 AM
    Really? Just use iCloud, it's insanely simple to transfer from one iPod to another...
    It's easier than cloning a Playbook, that's for sure.
    08-16-12 08:18 AM
    I cloud costs money. It's not an excuse for the limitations of iTunes IMO.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-16-12 09:26 AM
    Ummm...when did iCloud start costing money?
    08-16-12 09:48 AM
    Certain features of iCloud requires a subscription is my understanding anyway. (don't use it myself)
    08-16-12 09:55 AM
    iCloud doesn't sync everything either (like outlook). Also, if you have different accounts it won't sync obviously.
    It's very limited functionality and restricted to intra-account. Basically it's an updated version of Nokia's Ovi Sync which came out ages ago.
    08-16-12 09:59 AM
    so how would one go about cloning a playbook ? via Desktop manager ?
    08-16-12 10:03 AM
    I cloud costs money. It's not an excuse for the limitations of iTunes IMO.
    another Apple rip off imo.
    08-16-12 10:08 AM
    Desktop manager is probably your best bet for cloning a Playbook. You'll still have to configure some things but it works pretty well.

iCloud is completely free for the purpose of creating and restoring backups. If you've got over a few GB of media though, you'll have to transfer via iTunes since you're limited to about 5GB over iCloud. (I find this amount varies based on the type of media)

I've never had a setting not transfer properly when using an iCloud restore. You literally just have to create a backup of the original iPod, sign in on the new one, and restore the backup. You'll have an (almost) identical carbon copy.
    08-16-12 10:09 AM
    icloud cost money in a sense if you're not on wifi and using your data plan it cost you esp if you have a 1gb plan and your cloud is 4gb.
    08-16-12 10:14 AM
    That's a really stupid way of showing that iCloud costs money. Firstly, you cant perform icloud backups over 3G, which makes your point completely irrelevant. Secondly, even if it Were possible, what's stopping you from using it on wifi? It's a feature that doesn't even exist on Playbook at this moment, so your cost is completely irrelevant.

That's like saying it costs me a ton of money to watch YouTube on my Blackberry because I watch over 3G. But yet it's free on my PC because I use it over wifi. Therefore, YouTube costs money on blackberry.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 08-16-12 at 12:18 PM.
    wylderubicon and reeneebob like this.
    08-16-12 10:20 AM
    Really? Just use iCloud, it's insanely simple to transfer from one iPod to another...
    It's easier than cloning a Playbook, that's for sure.
    Device switch wizard in DM.
    08-16-12 10:31 AM
    That's a really stupid way of showing that iCloud costs money. Firstly, you can perform icloud backups over 3G, which makes your point completely irrelevant. Secondly, even if it Were possible, what's stopping you from using it on wifi? It's a feature that doesn't even exist on Playbook at this moment, so your cost is completely irrelevant.

That's like saying it costs me a ton of money to watch YouTube on my Blackberry because I watch over 3G. But yet it's free on my PC because I use it over wifi. Therefore, YouTube costs money on blackberry.
    It may indeed be stupid but since not everyone has wifi or availability of it in every country, we do have members from all over the world, it is not stupid and yes the same goes for any cloud system or device.

One reason I don't want my stuff controlled by the cloud only.
    08-16-12 10:39 AM
    Still failing to see your point...if wifi isn't available, the iTunes option is still there. iCloud is an added bonus that makes the process easier. Also, could you tell me which country has no wifi available, yet has blackberry playbooks available?
    08-16-12 10:42 AM
    You win mike I was wrong.
    08-16-12 10:46 AM
    Wait I don't get the debate. Ipod touch and playbook are both WiFi devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-12 10:50 AM
    You can create a Backup of the current iPod with iTunes and restore it to the new device. There's no need to do it via iCloud. For more information check out this Link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766
    08-16-12 11:31 AM
    Thank you for the reference, Chr1sg. Has anyone tried copying media files like music from an ipod touch to a pc? Why does it only work one way?

Also, a 4gb backup is quite small. What if you own the 16 or 32gb model? Im sure it can easily double in size, maybe even more.
    Even today, 4gb is an extremely large download, and thats probably the minimum. Id have my device plugged in and charging with a large download like that. And what about uploading that 4gb file to icloud? Uploads are 10x slower than download speeds.

This is how i see it anyway.
    08-16-12 11:43 AM
    Thank you for the reference, Chr1sg. Has anyone tried copying media files like music from an ipod touch to a pc? Why does it only work one way?

Also, a 4gb backup is quite small. What if you own the 16 or 32gb model? Im sure it can easily double in size, maybe even more.
    Even today, 4gb is an extremely large download, and thats probably the minimum. Id have my device plugged in and charging with a large download like that. And what about uploading that 4gb file to icloud? Uploads are 10x slower than download speeds.

the reason music only goes one way has to do with copy right piracy issues. (so you dont make copies for all of your friends or sell it) this issue has been debated on many sites. However, the thought is that if you bought the music, you can copy it as many apple devices you have as long as its yours(your apple ID).

I agree that 5GB is small, but having 2 16gb Apple devices, I haven't come across any issues. Apps, purchased music, and photos do not count towards the 5GB(From I've been told), which its the bulk for many people.

Not all peaches and cream with apple either, icloud currently does not automatically back up nor do you have the option to back up everything on your device including videos taken with the device , non purchased music or photos and videos manually imported onto your device.

But there is always another way.

with apple devices, you can show hidden folders when plugged into a USB port and transfer ALL of your music, photos, videos to your computer to be then transferred to another device. Very simple.

I personally use Drob Box for a few stuff.
    chr1sg likes this.
    08-16-12 12:31 PM
    Have you ever tried to transfer the data from one touch to another touch? Im ready to return her birthday present and get her a Playbook!!! Now I remember why I love my Playbook so much!!! Lol
    Can someone tell me how to copy my music, picture, files, ect. from my PB to iPad... if this doesn't work I'm gonna keep my PB! Oh never mind I'll keep my PB! lmao See where this is going...
    08-16-12 12:48 PM

I have a program to do that. The one I have is not sold anymore, but if you Google iphone to PC, you will find others. The problem was that all the music went to one folder.
    08-16-12 01:10 PM
    Still failing to see your point...if wifi isn't available, the iTunes option is still there. iCloud is an added bonus that makes the process easier. Also, could you tell me which country has no wifi available, yet has blackberry playbooks available?
    Can't help myself he must be living in a state of confusion.
    08-16-12 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD