At least get your fact straight.
    Multitasking gesture can use on iPad 1 from iOS 5.0.1
    Multitasking gesture implemented back in iOS 4 but official available in iOS5. So, no, it is not a clue from the Playbook.
    I didnt know that they put the gestures back in ios 5.0.1. Thanks for the info. While we're on the subject of of ios 5.0.1 everyone wants to be down on Rim but that upgrade was to fix alot of bugs in the os. I hear people talk about it fixing battery drain, but it patched security holes and alot of other bugs. My wife's ip4s was awful before she updated. So i reckon Rim is just making some of the same mistakes that the others make. Pretty interresting.
    03-09-12 04:08 AM
    Having both an iPad and a PlayBook for many months had made me notice the strengths (and weaknesses) of both platforms.

One thing to get out of the way here is if you enable the enhanced gestures on the iPad you can really cut down trips to the home button. The issue I have with it though is that is really (the iPad both first gen and iPad 2), didn't have this feature in mind with the original hardware design. On my PlayBook, it "feels" natural.

When it comes to screens, after the third generation iPad is in the hands of the masses, Apple will have an amazing selling point with the visual clarity. My the display on my PlayBook (with an annoying stuck pixel) still looks great but cramped while typing. I love the 2.0 keyboard update on the PlayBook. The predictive text is amazing in itself and has increased my speed on sending an email or posting here a much more pleasant experience than feeling like a task I'd rather do later on my laptop.

When it comes to games, the PlayBook does have a major advantage in RAM as opposed to the original iPad and the 256MB it carried. The iPad 2 on the other hand, has a more powerful GPU but 512MB of RAM. So some games will look better on some situations in favor for the iPad and sometimes the PlayBook has the edge.

My problem is I can't pick just one. I love my PB for on the road and browsing some sites that won't render properly on the iPad and it's lack of Adobe Flash and the Adobe Air platform.

What does bother me though is planned end of life support for the original with some games but a real surprise is some apps such as the recent release of Adobe Photoshop requiring an iPad 2 only. Those who still love their first generation models just got the cold shoulder. I do hope to see the app reach the PlayBook though.

So we go round and round, but wars to see what's the best tablet on the market is up to your needs. My PB is my mobile office where my iPad is my media portal and e-reader.
    13echo4 likes this.
    03-09-12 04:31 AM
    I saw the video on iPad gestures. Sorry, that is just plain awkward. 5 finger as opposed to 2. No thank you.
    What if you only have 4 fingers? :O
    03-09-12 05:19 AM
    ^^^^ dont turn this into a best device discussion.. Its about the Home button!! I think its really old-school the home button..

The home button is a safety feature for the ones who are completely embarrassed to slide their 4 fingers..
    03-09-12 05:23 AM
    Wow, cant believe your all making fun of a god damned HOME BUTTON?

And yes the iPad does have gestures in addition to the home button.

4 finger swipe left or right to switch between open applications.
    4 finder upward swipe to bring up the multitasking bar.
    5 finger pinch to close and app your in.

So if you dont want to use the home button, you never need to use it.

Fanboys, i bloody hate 'em with a passion.
    03-09-12 06:16 AM
    lol.. Youre right ^^^^ no one really credits Apple for any good..

Infact.. to think bout it.. It's the best tab since it provides a Home button and also the Bezel Gestures.. Best of both worlds..

Lets all throw our iPads in the air and rejoice.
    03-09-12 06:35 AM
    im still laughing about poor 9-fingered uncle joe
    03-09-12 09:15 AM
    I agree completely. Spent some time with Ipad and there are positive aspects for using around the house but not a mobile solution at all. I did find the Ipad rather heavy and uncomfortable to use while holding. The browser gets the job done for any missing apps and to be honest looking at these devices is starting to wear on my eyes so reading a book has zero interest for me and my eyesight.
    03-09-12 09:32 AM
    Seemed like a nice subjective conversation between the two products. I admire that.. To each his own.
    13echo4 likes this.
    03-09-12 12:45 PM
    It seems that many of our close neighbors up North feel that anything APPL does is ridiculous.

It's becoming oddly unsettling, actually, that so many here on this forum have no concept of objectivity.
    I'm still checking out your AOL email address. I hadn't noticed one of those in a while.

PS
    Still cracking up over poor 4 finger joe
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 03-09-12 at 01:05 PM.
    03-09-12 01:01 PM
    Wow, cant believe your all making fun of a god damned HOME BUTTON?

And yes the iPad does have gestures in addition to the home button.

4 finger swipe left or right to switch between open applications.
    4 finder upward swipe to bring up the multitasking bar.
    5 finger pinch to close and app your in.

So if you dont want to use the home button, you never need to use it.

Fanboys, i bloody hate 'em with a passion.
    Gestures on the ipad isnt in question. Its personal opinion on the matter.
    03-09-12 01:27 PM
    I have used Mac products for 15 years, mainly for work, and am an Apple fan. As soon as I picked up a Playbook in the store though I preferred to OS to iOS.

It's been mentioned in other threads, but for a lot of people lack of apps isn't the only issue. The Kindle and iPad offer people a dead simple way to get media. Everything feels like it works together. Even 3rd party media apps pretty much all have AirPlay, which is fantastic if you have other Apple devices. These are the types of things that appeal to a ton of users.

Beyond the OS, the 7" size is a big factor me. I prefer it for my needs.
    03-09-12 02:22 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD