Hi all, haven't been here in awhile, but have used my PlayBook for hours on end since getting it for Christmas at the end of last year. When I first got it, I had a few complaints about it, most of which were app-related. OS2 fixed most of that, so that I now have Kindle, Words With Friends, and other Android apps that I was missing.

The biggest annoyance for me has to do with scrolling in the browser. I think that during a typical browsing session I will try to scroll up and down a page and invariably will hit an ad or a link to another page or site that either causes me to leave the page I am on, or opens a new tab. It is especially frustrating in YouTube. There are ads and links to other videos all up and down the right side of the pages. If I am watching a video and decide to try to scroll down to read the comments, more times than not, I hit a link to an ad or another video.

Any suggestions on how to make things better?
    09-10-12 10:22 AM
    You're scrolling with the wrong hand! LOL j/k

I don't have that problem, but then again I am left handed.
    09-10-12 10:31 AM
    #FirstWorldProblems
    09-10-12 10:42 AM
    i would think this is a common problem with any touch screen device....or am i wrong.
    09-10-12 10:46 AM
    Double tap, zoom in, touch somewhere else.
    jafobabe likes this.
    09-10-12 10:48 AM
    i would think this is a common problem with any touch screen device....or am i wrong.
    That is incorrect, at least, in my experience I have noticed the iPad handles the scrolling really well compared to the PB. Flash is partly to blame, the flash ads cannot differentiate between a tap and slide to scroll and just a tap. Turn off flash and you will have a better experience.
    09-10-12 11:01 AM
    When I am on a site with a lot of "clickable" junk, I touch the screen in a clear place near the edge of the screen & drag my finger onto the bezel and scroll that way.
    Toodeurep and jhanks64 like this.
    09-10-12 11:18 AM
    The biggest annoyance for me has to do with scrolling in the browser. (...) try to scroll up and down a page and invariably will hit an ad or a link to another page or site that (...) opens a new tab.
    I absolutly agree. This is unique to the RIM browser. Happens to me all the time, even if I know it and try to avoid.

When I use Dolphin Browser on the PB, for the same websites, it never happens. Maybe because of Flash capability ... rare on tablets and causing touch devices to behave that? Does Dolphin Brwoser also support Flash? If yes, Dolphin handels this better.

UGLY ISSUE!

Ray
    09-10-12 11:31 AM
    That would happen sometimes when I first started with the PB, but have gotten the feel for a touchscreen down pretty well now. I rarely have that happen these days.

Also, Reader mode helps to avoid a lot of that. Try clicking on the Book icon at the top of the browser page.
    jafobabe, Toodeurep and ryacht like this.
    09-10-12 11:35 AM
    Does Dolphin Brwoser also support Flash?
    No...................
    09-10-12 11:38 AM
    It happens to me when I'm "flick" scrolling. If I do more a controlled scroll the links aren't clicked. It has to be somewhere between a click and a long press. For instance, I can put my finger on the like button on a post and scroll slowly without actually clicking the like.
    09-10-12 11:46 AM
    Flash is the culprit. It is why Apple does not and has never wanted to support Flash on the Ipad (and why Flash is being phased out on Android tablets). Flash support is why I love and will always use my PlayBook more often than my other tablets. Try using a stylus.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    09-10-12 11:58 AM
    It happens to me when I'm "flick" scrolling. If I do more a controlled scroll the links aren't clicked. It has to be somewhere between a click and a long press. For instance, I can put my finger on the like button on a post and scroll slowly without actually clicking the like.
    Thanks, but I tried some pages, where there's no way to avoid, no matter how long you touch before scrolling. On these pages I tried many things for like 5 minutes, and I couldn't scroll at all - unless: I had to find an area with simple text, there I could scroll with no problem.

RIM should investigate that. "Book mode" is a nice workaround as well - but it's only a workaround.

I'm still thinking this should be rather improved.
    09-10-12 11:59 AM
    Post a page that you have to most trouble with.
    09-10-12 12:25 PM
    Agreed, it can be the flash ads that get hit inadvertently. But the site I tend to watch a lot of is a flash-based site (the reason I bought my playbook) Perhaps there is an adblock alternative so that those ad sites don't even load?
    09-10-12 12:57 PM
    found it finally. formula 1 page. enable flash, if youre not afraid. open that page and wait till completly loaded!! then try to scroll where somebody right handed usually scrolls.

http://www.formel1.de/de/3260/News/browsePage/2

edit: yeah, now i just disabled flash - no problem to scroll. it's flash causing this scroll barrier. so i ask myself if rim can really change anything in that behaviour.

Ray

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryacht; 09-10-12 at 02:07 PM.
    09-10-12 02:04 PM
    Some web pages are mine fields when it comes to inadvertent clicking, and Flash is not the culprit---just plain old HTML. Take USA TODAY for example. Even some totally blank areas of the page activate hyperlinks. One has to ask why a webmaster would do this.

My solution is "pianissimo scrolling". On such pages, I gently use the side of my finger to very lightly stroke the screen. The same technique is used to strum the ukulele during soft passages.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 09-10-12 at 02:18 PM.
    jafobabe and Toodeurep like this.
    09-10-12 02:10 PM
    When I am on a site with a lot of "clickable" junk, I touch the screen in a clear place near the edge of the screen & drag my finger onto the bezel and scroll that way.

This works perfectly. Your finger or thumb is completely off the page and it becomes second nature after a short time.

Its like all the other PB gestures we learned....it just takes practice
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    09-10-12 04:46 PM
    That's my problem. Lots of sights have no space on the edge.
    09-10-12 04:53 PM
    Almost any YouTube page.
    09-10-12 04:54 PM
    Well this is not true at all. I'm sorry for sounding harsh in my first post here, but Steve Jobs went to Adobe many moons ago and asked them to develop a version for Mac. Since Apple wasn't as big as they are now, they declined. When Apple blew up in popularity, Adobe came back to Apple basically on their knees, and Steve Jobs turned them away. That is why flash is not supported on Apple.

Jessica
    If this were the case, Steve Jobs would have said so. He had no problems with stating when his gripes were personal. Flash was a terrible battery hog, and it's one of the primary complaints people had about web browsing. So not having flash support was actually an advantage in some people's eyes. iOS doesn't support Flash, because Adobe couldn't make a version that didn't suck. The fact that it's being phased out on Android just confirms that.
    09-10-12 06:37 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nextcity

Flash is the culprit. It is why Apple does not and has never wanted to support Flash on the Ipad (and why Flash is being phased out on Android tablets). Flash support is why I love and will always use my PlayBook more often than my other tablets. Try using a stylus.

Well this is not true at all. I'm sorry for sounding harsh in my first post here, but Steve Jobs went to Adobe many moons ago and asked them to develop a version for Mac. Since Apple wasn't as big as they are now, they declined. When Apple blew up in popularity, Adobe came back to Apple basically on their knees, and Steve Jobs turned them away. That is why flash is not supported on Apple.

Jessica
    Thanks for the info.

09-10-12 06:38 PM

Jessica
    Flash runs acceptably on Macs, which have enough power to handle Flash's tendency to gobble resources. Where it doesn't run well is on less powerful mobile devices. Jobs knew this, and Adobe has been unable to make it run well, which is why the latest version of Android doesn't install Flash and why Adobe itself has discontinued development on mobile devices.

In general, for a company that charges high rices for its software, Adobe is shockingly slow to react to changes in hardware and operating systems.
    09-10-12 06:51 PM
    I just started using a stylus and so far so good just about eleminated unwanted link clicks give it a try
    09-10-12 07:11 PM
    My biggest issue is not having some sort of short cut to scroll back up or to the botton quickly. like hitting "t" to get to the top for example
    09-10-12 07:35 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD