The BlackBerry PLayBook web browser is plagued by one flaw - the cache needs to be purged once in a while to return the web browser to good health. There should be an option to auto-purge the various caches whenever the web browser is closed by the user.
    There is---it's called Private Browsing. I have it enabled and I rarely get a browser crash.
    11-04-12 12:16 PM
    There is---it's called Private Browsing. I have it enabled and I rarely get a browser crash.
    Yeah, but you have then to enter your username/password each time you go on any forum...not for me
    11-04-12 12:20 PM
    Browser constantly crashes. Open crackberry and want to leave a comment?crashes. Click on a yahoo article? Crashes. Typed a long paragraph on the browser and about to press enter? Crashes. Scrolling through simple forum text comments with no flash or anything heavy? Checkerboarding. Scrolling on a website of any kind. Checkerboarding. Want to leave a comment on a CB blog post? Open keyboard, it comes up, wait 2 seconds, it goes down, open it again start typing. Sometimes disapears again.
    11-04-12 12:26 PM
    This is a work around and doesnt even work well as you have to re enter information each time. Not a solution.
    11-04-12 12:28 PM
    Yeah, but you have then to enter your username/password each time you go on any forum
    I do agree there. Private Browsing should have been split into two choices, eg "Clear cache upon exit" and "Delete cookies upon exit".
    11-04-12 12:30 PM
    This is a work around and doesnt even work well as you have to re enter information each time. Not a solution.
    It certainly IS a solution, if it eliminates your constant crashing. Alternatively, you could try other browsers such as SimpleBrowserPlus, which I like because it turns Javascript on/off on a per-tab basis.

I might also add that RIM isn't likely to fix the native browser for you. So you can keep complaining, or simply employ the workarounds suggested.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 11-04-12 at 12:43 PM.
    11-04-12 12:32 PM
    It certainly IS a solution, if it eliminates your constant crashing. Alternatively, you could try other browsers such as SimpleBrowserPlus, which I like because it turns Javascript on/off on a per-tab basis.

I might also add that RIM isn't likely to fix the native browser for you. So you can keep complaining, or simply employ the workarounds suggested.
    A band aid solution isnt a solution lol. Im going to have to live with the crashing. Browser is pretty good otherwise
    11-04-12 01:35 PM
    I purchased my playbook recently (~2 months ago), and my browser has been extremely solid. Never crashes, super smooth, and fast. However, Since OS 2.1 beta, scrolling seems a little bit "jittery" on many websites. BUT it was still stable.

However, since a few days ago, a LOT of my apps including browser were crashing, and I was REALLY annoyed, so I decided to back everything up, and do a security wipe. I'm in a process of restoring right now. I hope this actually makes a difference.
    11-04-12 01:54 PM
    mine too ,By the way My browseer Keeps crashin as always since os 1 ,,,, i dont know why some plps says that in their never crash but i search in the web and saw a lot of plp claimin about browser crash ..
    Some people probably say that because their browsers don't crash. Mine rarely crashes. I've had various issues, but rarely does the browser close out on it's own. There are a lot of variables involved, from software to connection to what the user is trying to do on the web and many others. Most people aren't going to post up about their browser NOT crashing, so Google showing other users with a similar problem doesn't mean EVERYONE is having the problem but not admitting to it.
    11-04-12 02:00 PM
    Some people probably say that because their browsers don't crash. Mine rarely crashes. I've had various issues, but rarely does the browser close out on it's own. There are a lot of variables involved, from software to connection to what the user is trying to do on the web and many others. Most people aren't going to post up about their browser NOT crashing, so Google showing other users with a similar problem doesn't mean EVERYONE is having the problem but not admitting to it.
    Agree totally. My browser has only closed on its own a couple of times in the year I've owned my pb. That doesn't mean some people aren't having issues. It just means we have different apps etc on our devices and we visit different sites. There are many variables in play.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    11-04-12 02:54 PM
    I hear ya. I hate my iPod touch since the ios 6.0.0 upgrade.
    I hate ipod touch since the beginning, bought it as a gift for my son and now even him doesn't want to pick it up anymore. It is too thin, too slippery and too fragile (broken once already), bad wifi (drops from time to time, not sure it's the metal back), etc. Etc. Don't really know what's the hype about it.
    11-04-12 04:45 PM
    I read from somewhere that the browser from BB10 will be an native apps (webworks?) so it supposes to be much faster than the one we have right now, hopefully checkbording becomes history with BB10.
    11-04-12 04:49 PM
    If I remember correctly, there was an interview with a RIM employee about the BB10 browser. The guys over at Torch ditched Air and have completely rebuilt the browser using HTLM5. I believe it was from N4BB.com
    11-04-12 05:04 PM
    the browser has been rebuilt from air to native code...it should rock much better now
    11-04-12 05:42 PM

Or you can try other devices only to find out that other device browsers are able to run circles around the Playbook's browser - after the latest update that is. In my case, my browser performance has gotten worse with the latest update; far too frequently, I can not even enter more than two to three characters in the address window without a significant delay or out-right freezing of the browser. Combine that with the checkerboard from that, believe it or not, has overtaken my frustration of seeing the Blackberry Hourglass on my phone, as my biggest pet-peeve. Case in point, browse crackberry from the Playbook and the experience is less than stellar. Browsed from my Ipad - works brilliantly. Browsed from my Samsung Smart TV - works well. Heck, even my PSVita can load up the Crackberry site faster, more smoothly, and without the severe checkboarding that the Playbook does.

Granted, there are things that the Playbook browser does better than other browsers, but it's certainly not the holy grail of browsers. There's a lot of work of work that needs to be done before the Playbook's browser deserves that title.
    11-04-12 05:57 PM
    Trying "other devices" is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. This thread alone has mentioned several simple solutions to the crashing, slowness, and checkerboarding of the native browser. Comparing the iPad browser to the PB's is a nonstarter, because obviously Apple can spend a lot more dough fixing bugs than RIM can.

I'm in no way suggesting that the native browser is the "holy grail". It lacks dozens of features found even in browsers of a decade ago. But I think most here will agree its performance is reasonable for the device's current value.
    11-04-12 06:57 PM
    Agree. Without this annoying javascript bug, it works flawlessly for me.
    11-04-12 07:02 PM
    I hate streaming noobroom with the browser
    11-04-12 10:01 PM
    mine too ,By the way My browseer Keeps crashin as always since os 1 ,,,, i dont know why some plps says that in their never crash but i search in the web and saw a lot of plp claimin about browser crash ..
    I have experienced two web browser incidents in which the application just closed when nothing else was running. Hardly an epidemic and for the record I configured the web browser to remember open tabs at time of shutdown so they immediately are available when I launch the web browser. During the past 18+ months no crashes except the two random incidents - fixed by rebooting the tablet.
    11-04-12 10:20 PM
    My girlfriend was shopping for shoes on my PB yesterday. On the main page of one site, the browser stopped working. The page was loaded but the drop down menus were super slow. Nothing happened when you clicked a link. I though there was some heavy duty flash going on behind the scene, but nope. She found what she was looking in 8 seconds after ditching my PB for her iPhone4s. The page looked exactly the same on her iPhone, and all the menu/links worked just fine. Total embarrassment for me.
    Last edited by cvcv; 11-05-12 at 07:18 AM.
    11-05-12 06:55 AM
    Trying "other devices" is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. This thread alone has mentioned several simple solutions to the crashing, slowness, and checkerboarding of the native browser. Comparing the iPad browser to the PB's is a nonstarter, because obviously Apple can spend a lot more dough fixing bugs than RIM can.

I'm in no way suggesting that the native browser is the "holy grail". It lacks dozens of features found even in browsers of a decade ago. But I think most here will agree its performance is reasonable for the device's current value.
    I'm sorry, but turning off JavaScript etc is no solution to the crashing, slowness and checkerboarding of the native browser. This site alone is virtually unusable without JavaScript functionality.

Your explanation for the terrible state of the PB browser (RIM doesn't have the resources to fix it) has some truth to it. I would add that since the PB has already lost RIM over a billion dollars so far, a decision to throw as little good money after bad is probably wise. The thing is, though, that RIM is a corporation, not a worthy charity case. Whatever the reason, if their product is inferior, consumers would be wise to avoid it. Certainly not even trying other options seems silly.
    11-05-12 11:33 AM
    Turn off javascript and flash. Then it will be smooth and fast, without the whole Internet being available.

What happens when you turn off Javascript and Flash? I'm a newbie.
    11-05-12 07:22 PM
    I'm sorry, but turning off JavaScript etc is no solution to the crashing, slowness and checkerboarding of the native browser. This site alone is virtually unusable without JavaScript functionality.
    By turning off the javascript, my browser is faster, crash-proof and I am using crackberry site with javascript disabled.

Sorry dude.^^
    Another try?
    11-05-12 07:42 PM

It's like asking : what's Rosebud... Who knows. Just try at yiur own risk. We will refuse to accept any responsibility in case of loss of theft.
    11-05-12 07:46 PM

Things that rely on JavaScript and Flash will not load on the web pages you visit. Many pages do not use them and everything will render correctly. If you visit a page that requires JavaScript for instance, you might get a message telling you to turn it on or the page will be blank or I've seen some where the printed matter is double imposed upon itself. Also some things like submit or like buttons may be missing. If you find you need it, just go to your browser settings, turn it back on and then reload your page.
    Last edited by Chrysalis1156; 11-05-12 at 08:13 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-05-12 07:58 PM
60 123