Hello all long time viewer of these forums, but I hardly ever post. Let me start out by saying I am not a fanboy of any paticular company, as I currently have a blackberry tour work phone and Droid Thunderbolt personal phone. I also own a IMAC computer and a window's laptop.

I've been following the evolution of the tablet market closely over the last year and a half, but of still yet to buy one. The IPAD has looked neat, but I told my self if I'm going to get a tablet to replace the need of me carrying my lapbtop around on the job, it would have to have flash on it.

I have now played with a coworker's playbook, and have tested playbook's at Best Buy and Office Depot. After testing them out, I am absolutley amazed at the capabilities on the playbook, everything has moved so fluidly on the devices software wise and the flash is truly amazing.

However I am probally going to wait a month before buying one because I am concerned about dead pixels, and possible overheating of the back of the device. My coworker already has had to return his for a dead pixel, and the display model at office depot had a tiny dead pixel also. I have also read in the forums of people having issues with them also. I have also began to read of people worrying about the back of there devices starting to overheat, and possibly worrying about possible warpage happening on the back of the playbook because of this.

Because of these 2 reason's I'm going to wait a few weeks to a month to see if these issues keep cropping up or if it is just a anomaly. In conclusion I think the playbook is a BEAST of a device and I can't wait to own one, but I want to wait it out to see if any more QC issues occur.

P.S. - If it matters, I live in Ohio where these devices with dead pixels were found thanks.
    04-21-11 12:09 PM
    i just bought a playbook (typing on it now). It has dead pixels and overheats. is anyone else having the overheat issue ?
    05-01-11 04:06 PM
    "over"heats is such a bad term to use. Is your device failing, burning your hands, or melting itself? No? Then no, it isn't overheating. It may be getting warm, but no warmer than my bold when it's recharging and certainly not as warm as my M15x during a stress test.
    05-01-11 04:14 PM
    I had 2 bbpb with lit pixel and returned them back to best buy,they were 32gb not that this makes a difference. So I went for the 64gb but this time I checked it at the store before. Glad I did,no lit or dead pixel no over heating which I never heard of. But while we're on this note, I have had numerous tablets from every company including the ipad and they all had dead/lit pixels, dust under the screen poor viewing angels and so on, but nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the BBPB when it comes to HD display,hardware and the beautiful QNX OS. Get one if you have the means you'll love owning one.
    Last edited by edandrea; 05-01-11 at 05:26 PM.
    05-01-11 05:24 PM
    i just bought a playbook (typing on it now). It has dead pixels and overheats. is anyone else having the overheat issue ?
    There are no exterior heat sinks on the device....

Heat that is generated radiates out through the device...with such powerful hardware being used and a demand for a substantial power supply...The device will become warm...sometimes even hot..

Due to the above mentioned..heat has to dissipate somewhere
    05-01-11 05:53 PM
    I've now owned 6 of these units.

Please quantify "overheating". The statement "overheating" insinuates that there must be a metric or benchmark somewhere defining a threshold that your unit must stay within.

I can see how a device may be dissipating heat while charging it's two batteries, streaming a movie (warming up the processor and using the Wi-Fi functions within the chipset). Would I consider this "overheating"... NO! It's simply dissipating heat.

Show me discoloration of plastic or the screen from heat, maybe even some warping or a pungent odor being emitted from within and I will agree that you clearly have a unit that is malfunctioning and would hope that is considered by the manufacturer to have "overheated".
    05-01-11 07:10 PM
    They are not overheating. The CPU of the playbook is located directly behind the blackberry logo. Thats why it may feel a little warm.
    05-01-11 07:38 PM
    Dead pixels are pretty common things. My iPod touch, iPad and 3DS all have one. Fleas that come with the dog. The dog being massive outsourced production.
    05-01-11 09:20 PM
    No dead/stuck pixels and no overheating here
    05-02-11 01:26 AM
    2 stuck pixels.. they're now slowly fading away
    05-02-11 01:38 AM
    Dam I noticed one today, green on black or dark blue background.

Has anyone had any joy removing, fading them as I am outwith 14 days return and am currently in the U.K.

2 Playbooks 2 different problems.
    05-07-11 05:52 PM
    my playbook froze on reading this forum, so i had to reset the device.
    upon rebooting i noticed a red pixel on the black 'blackberry playbook' background.

i ran a couple of test before and never saw any dead/stuck pixel, so i was a bit surprised.

but when the os boot started to complete and the background starts to 'animate' the red pixel faded and is fully functional again.
    gave it another hard reboot and no issues.... really strange.

just thought i'd share
    05-10-11 04:17 PM
    Seems to me there are more people posting with problems than without. My Playbook has had no problems so far thankfully and hopefully will not in the future. I have noticed that the quality control on the higher capacity versions tobe a little more thorough. Just my observation.
    05-10-11 04:22 PM
    no problems here..
    05-10-11 05:28 PM
    I see dead pixels.....
    05-10-11 05:35 PM
    Seems to me there are more people posting with problems than without. My Playbook has had no problems so far thankfully and hopefully will not in the future. I have noticed that the quality control on the higher capacity versions tobe a little more thorough. Just my observation.
    Well, people don't generally seek out a forum to see if other people's devices are working perfectly also. It tends to make the ones with problems seem like a majority.

From what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem to be out of line with any other mass-produced electronic device as far as quality goes. There are going to be problems, that's why they have a return window and warranty...
    05-10-11 05:43 PM
    This morning I found a dead pixel on my 32GB PB and promptly brought it back to the Best Buy where I bought it. They only had 1 other 32GB in stock, and it also had a dead pixel. They are supposed to be getting 2 more in a shipment tomorrow, and I will try again.
    05-26-11 04:15 PM
    I've had my PlayBook since release day (April 19, 2011) and have no dead pixels and no overheating.
    05-26-11 04:18 PM
    Yeah I have couple small dead pixel on mine.i cant really see it when the brightness is on low. It didnt bothered me because I cant really notice it on white background especially browsing.i think dead pixel is normal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-11 04:40 PM
    I've had my PlayBook since release day (April 19, 2011) and have no dead pixels and no overheating.
    Try to put your brightness all the up and you will see it.

05-26-11 04:41 PM
    Just because it is common does not make it normal.
    05-26-11 04:42 PM
    Just because it is common does not make it normal.
    Youre right.

05-26-11 04:53 PM
    Mine is flawless other than a speck of dust under the screen. No dead pixels here.
    09-09-11 08:08 PM
    there are 2 types (maybe more, but i only know of 2) of pixel problems

1. dead pixels - pixel is either black or white. these do not fade with time and are always present. the pixel is not able to display any colour anymore

2. frozen pixels - not sure why this happens (apparently it is common in high resolution displays) but basically the pixel "freezes" in it's current state, usually red, green or blue. it fades away over time

download this app called "Screen Helper Lite" (there is a paid version but i find no need for it) and run it a couple of times. it should fix frozen pixels

i have 1 pixel that frequently freezes blue on the bottom right portion of my bezel. running this app gets rid of it (so far)
    02-10-12 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD