Oh yeah. She already uses mine all the time. She loves the kids games I have and is actually better at Need for Speed than I am.
    I had to stay at my brother's last night for like an extra hour because I could not pry the PlayBook from his kids. What REALLY impressed me was how quick the 7 year old figured it out and was showing the 5 year old how to do stuff. "No Katie, just swipe up to go back to the menu"

The 7 year old who is just learning the violin (and I mean JUST, he can play like 5 notes of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, he stops suddenly and says, "that's all I know"), really loved the Instruments application. He also likes some of the adult games too, including Dead Space which he said was "really cool, but not as good as his Xbox" My brother tells me the kid has defeated Halo2, ON HIS OWN!

Yea I'd say go for it, get her the PB, OR better yet, get yourself one with a larger capacity, and give her the old one!
    11-07-11 07:51 AM
    I had to stay at my brother's last night for like an extra hour because I could not pry the PlayBook from his kids. What REALLY impressed me was how quick the 7 year old figured it out and was showing the 5 year old how to do stuff. "No Katie, just swipe up to go back to the menu"

The 7 year old who is just learning the violin (and I mean JUST, he can play like 5 notes of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, he stops suddenly and says, "that's all I know"), really loved the Instruments application. He also likes some of the adult games too, including Dead Space which he said was "really cool, but not as good as his Xbox" My brother tells me the kid has defeated Halo2, ON HIS OWN!

Yea I'd say go for it, get her the PB, OR better yet, get yourself one with a larger capacity, and give her the old one!
    Have you showed her the "Instrument Tuner " app?

You would never get it away from her after that - What's cool about it is you canplay a note and it tells you if you are right or not, and how far off.

You may have to buy her one for Christmas and get yourself a 64g...
    11-07-11 10:24 AM
    My 2 yrs old loves the ipad because of the home button, he just likes opening and closing apps like crazy. My 4 yrs old on the other hand, is addicted to PB and will play with it the entire day if I let him.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You think the little guy wouldn't like side swiping apps and flicking them off to the horizon more than a home button? You better catch him while he's young - he may be headed for a depressing life of Apple-ism.
    11-07-11 10:27 AM
    I purchased a Cheap 99 tablet last year for the kid, stood on the screen and broke it but got a lot of use out of it, at 2 years old the fact their are no buttons to press means I don't have to keep turning the movie back on in the car like I did with the other tablet.
    11-07-11 01:35 PM
    Wow, when I was six I was still captivated over Lego. And I'm not even that old!
    The aptitude of children towards technology is growing at a staggering rate.

OP, Just make sure you teach her how not to break her toys. Especially a $$$ one.

Makes my T.M.N.T Turtle Blimp seem like peanuts in $ comparison
    11-07-11 01:40 PM
    Why does a 6 year old need a PlayBook? I still had an etch-a-sketch at that age.
    um, I still have an etch-a-sketch now lol - free toys get mailed to me at work since I work in pediatrics
    11-07-11 01:50 PM
    Wow, when I was six I was still captivated over Lego. And I'm not even that old!
    The aptitude of children towards technology is growing at a staggering rate.

OP, Just make sure you teach her how not to break her toys. Especially a $$$ one.

Makes my T.M.N.T Turtle Blimp seem like peanuts in $ comparison
    I still am Captivated by Lego!

at 29 I have Not had a year yet since I was old enough to get Lego that I haven't received some at Christmas
    11-07-11 01:55 PM
    Thanks for all the opinions.

So I expected my wife to shoot down this idea but she was surprisingly receptive to the idea of getting a Playbook for my daughter. I thought for sure she would balk at the idea based on the price and the nature of the gift itself(not really a six-year's kind of present). So she went to Bell (thanks arcaneflow for the tip) today as they are on still on for $299. They didn't have any in-store but the Bell employee told my wife to go to Bestbuy where they would have to beat the price as they are both "authorized" sellers. Long story short: she picked one out for $279.

So Santa is being extremely generous this year. My daughter will be thrilled...and so will I because now I will be able to use mine without interruption from her to let her use it.
    11-07-11 02:16 PM
    Thanks for all the opinions.

So I expected my wife to shoot down this idea but she was surprisingly receptive to the idea of getting a Playbook for my daughter. I thought for sure she would balk at the idea based on the price and the nature of the gift itself(not really a six-year's kind of present). So she went to Bell (thanks arcaneflow for the tip) today as they are on still on for $299. They didn't have any in-store but the Bell employee told my wife to go to Bestbuy where they would have to beat the price as they are both "authorized" sellers. Long story short: she picked one out for $279.

So Santa is being extremely generous this year. My daughter will be thrilled...and so will I because now I will be able to use mine without interruption from her to let her use it.
    and you can video chat with her!

Wait till you see how thrilled she gets at that!
    11-07-11 02:54 PM
    Every family needs to make these decisions for themselves. What I know is that kids are more tech saavy than ever. My 5 year-old niece can pick up a BB or iPhone and navigate and find pictures and apps. This is both a comfort and challenge for parents as technology can be educational and inspirational for children, as well as distracting and dangerous.
    11-07-11 06:20 PM
    The Playbook sounds like a great gift for kids, how about some imitation Vans, a Huffy bike and some Lego knock offs too.
    11-07-11 06:56 PM
    The Playbook sounds like a great gift for kids, how about some imitation Vans, a Huffy bike and some Lego knock offs too.
    Yikes. Who let Scrooge in here?
    11-07-11 07:30 PM
    Yikes. Who let Scrooge in here?
    Most of us just ignore him.
    robtanz likes this.
    11-08-11 12:54 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD