lol........
    01-06-12 12:49 AM
    RIM suddenly starting a Netflix-type operation?

Interesting idea.

Maybe like, oh, I don't know, this one?

That would do it, all right But, that announcement was back in September, and I don't see any sign of it happening. Leaving aside whether it would succeed, is it even possible for RIM to suddenly open up a huge media store? The Netflix, iTunes and Amazon media operations didn't sprout up overnight.
    01-06-12 01:07 AM
    imo, it is doubtful for anyone who can't read the topic title and understand it , has the intelligence to critique the pb.
    01-06-12 01:26 AM
    You're forgetting the Playbook's potential as a media platform, and they haven't even scratched the surface on that yet.

We're supposed to be seeing the Video Store released with OS 2.
    Let me get this straight. What makes the PB profitable is that RIM switches from a business communications company to a consumer media company? Do the shareholders know about this? How does adding Android games and a few movies help to differentiate the PB as a professional tablet?

As a media tablet, how does it not lose to the less expensive, more media rich Fire? What you and others are suggesting requires RIM to completely sell its soul for questionable returns on a product that has failed in the marketplace. I don't see it. Then again, this is RIM we are talking about. Anything goes. I don't want to see RIM die at the hands of the PB.
    01-06-12 08:33 AM
    I predict the Playbook will breathe new life into the floundering RIM, and, if I may add some wishfull thinking, there will be a radio added to the PB so that yes, you will be able to make and receive phone calls. It won't be a substitute for a handheld phone, but merely a benefit where you may be sitting on the Pier one fine Spring morning, watching the seagulls feed, PB in hand, maybe some light photography with the PB, and you get a call, and guess what, the PB's excellent michrophones and superb stereo speakers allow you to answer and talk.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-06-12 08:42 AM
    Think about the reality of RIM's situation currently with all the pre-Playbook hype about QNX...
    ...The RIM tablet brings literally ZERO of the popular functionality offered via Apple & Droid.
    ...Most consumers demand ( not want ) secular functionality on their tablet.

At it's current state the Playbook can't support Netflix, Hulu or even Google Maps...
    ...The PDF reader is esentially junk compared to an ipad or Droid.
    ...And there is literally NOTHING in the way of business support ( Apps ) for the RIM slab.

So, a tablet that has "play" in it's name can't handle ANY of the most popluar play things the other tablets do...
    ...And there is literally nothing in the way of business the tablet offers.

It may shock some after my saying this that I bought two of 16gb Playbooks at the $199.00 price...
    ...For what I needed it fit the bill perfectly as one of them is headed Asia to my wife's brother.
    ...To take advantage of the video chat feature the Playbook offers.
    ...Which is excellent by the way.

The other things I really like about the Playbook is the size - I prefer it to my company issued ipad....
    ...And frankly the quality of what is displayed on the screen is every bit as good as the ipad.
    ...In some cases the same youtube videos looks far better on the Playbook than the ipad.

It's very easy to drag and drop music, movies and podcasts on the Playbook and it's even easier to pack around...
    ...Paired with a blackberry phone the bridge system works exceptionally well.
    ...And there is no need to spend extra money on another data plan.

The playbooks major malfunction is it's lack to handle those things MOST people who are in the market for a tablet want...
    ...Such as the aforementioned Netflix, hulu, google maps, etc, etc, etc.
    ...Add to that no native email, calendar, etc.
    ...That was just stupid.

Worse yet now that everyone knows what QNX CAN'T do what would the point be of bringing a herd of new Blackberry phones into the market....
    ...Can you imagine it - a new QNX blackberry that can't use google maps.
    ...Or function with a great majority of Android widgets!
    ...RIM would be out of it's mind to bring something like that out - it's straight out of the gong show.

Unless a miracle happens RIM is done - they have squandered their Apex Global position...
    ...And will be reduced to watching what others come up with from the side-lines.

It pisses me off to no end as I have been a blackberry fan for years and still am one...
    ...At one point a person has to face reality however and that time has come.
    1. Google Maps app is available on Playbook and it is working

2. I use my Playbook a lot for work so I beg to differ with you on this one. I find Playbook to be true road warrior.

3. Android tablets are junk in $199 price range. There is not a single one low end Android tablet that i would consider buying. To be honest I would not buy ANY Android tablet because I find the whole Android os for tablets to be slow like in my opinion. Ipad is not so great for business either. I do realize that there are many,many productivity apps for Ipad. Something that PB does not have. But Playbook has one critical feature that Ipad does not. This is multitasking functionality. I find this one feature critical and highly useful. I want my browser, excel, word to be open at the same time. Just like on laptop with windows 7. We will be getting our apps [android or native] soon but i am not so sure that we will see multitasking on Ipad any time soon.

4. New OS will bring all missing productivity applications to Playbook. But to be honest I will not use them at all. I love the fact that I can bridge data with my BB phone. Perfect solution for me.

5. I do not get it what your problem is with PDF viewer. I have opened literately dozens of PDF files and I never thought that BB PDF viewer is lacking in any way. You can zoom in, zoom out, scroll it. What else do you need ?

You must realize that tablets will never replace PC for serious work. Tablets are great on the go to do some light work and PB delivers here in my opinion.

To be honest I totally do not care if PB will be #1,#2 or #10 tablet. What i want to see is enough people owning PB so we can get more quality apps. I believe RIM is working on it very hard right now and I think they will get enough sales to make PB meaningful in the tablet market.
    Last edited by bitek; 01-06-12 at 10:25 AM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-06-12 10:19 AM

2. I use my Playbook a lot for work so I beg to differ with you on this one. I find Playbook to be true road warrior.

3. Android tablets are junk in $199 price range. There is not a single one low end Android tablet that i would consider buying. To be honest I would not buy ANY Android tablet because I find the whole Android os for tablets to be slow like in my opinion. Ipad is not so great for business either. I do realize that there are many,many productivity apps for Ipad. Something that PB does not have. But Playbook has one critical feature that Ipad does not. This is multitasking functionality. I find this one feature critical and highly useful. I want my browser, excel, word to be open at the same time. Just like on laptop with windows 7. We will be getting our apps [android or native] soon but i am not so sure that we will see multitasking on Ipad any time soon.

4. New OS will bring all missing productivity applications to Playbook. But to be honest I will not use them at all. I love the fact that I can bridge data with my BB phone. Perfect solution for me.

5. I do not get it what your problem is with PDF viewer. I have opened literately dozens of PDF files and I never thought that BB PDF viewer is lacking in any way. You can zoom in, zoom out, scroll it. What else do you need.

To be honest I totally do not care if PB will be #1,#2 or #10 tablet. What i want to see is enough people owning PB so we can get more quality apps. I believe RIM is working on it very hard right now and I think they will get enough sales to make PB meaningful in the tablet market.
    How does it handles Google Maps? Not with the browser.
    01-06-12 10:25 AM
    How does it handles Google Maps? Not with the browser.
    There is app called mapapp. this app uses google maps and it works great
    01-06-12 01:33 PM

5. I do not get it what your problem is with PDF viewer. I have opened literately dozens of PDF files and I never thought that BB PDF viewer is lacking in any way. You can zoom in, zoom out, scroll it. What else do you need ?

You must realize that tablets will never replace PC for serious work. Tablets are great on the go to do some light work and PB delivers here in my opinion.

Can you please explain to me how you use your pb for work? I just don't see how I can't just do the exact same thing on a bb or a tablet pc.
    01-06-12 01:48 PM
    i thought this thread was about 2012 predictions. people should stop responding to unrelated trolling type posts. ignore them and they will go away.
    the_sleuth likes this.
    01-06-12 02:48 PM
    Can you please explain to me how you use your pb for work? I just don't see how I can't just do the exact same thing on a bb or a tablet pc.
    Absolutely, i am real estate agent and playbook is just awesome for my line of work

1. When i drive clints around i use pb to : find streets with google maps, get information on listings from stratus (our internal mls). I easily connect to my bb to go online in seconds at no extra cost

2. I use tablet with sunc with my phone to update my daily schedule, to do list, calender, contacts etc.

3. I take notes with hello note when people call me

4. I use docs to go for my listing presentation.

5. I use playbook with my bb to check and answers emails on the go

6. i use blubox to access my files on the go

7. I use adobe reader to view listings of properties which i earlier prepared for the next day

8. I access newest mortgage rates and can calculate mortgage for clients with canadian mortgage app on the go

9. I use voice recorder if i have some "eureka" moments

Pb is just great in the car, small, fits anywhere, 7 inch is just great size, takes literarely second to be on from stand by mode and playbook looks like quality device, looks professional not cheap as other $199 devices. Phone is too small to do even light work and laptop to big in the car. again playbook is great for sales people. playbook = convenience in my mind
    alnamvet68, kbz1960 and peter9477 like this.
    01-06-12 05:40 PM
    That would do it, all right But, that announcement was back in September, and I don't see any sign of it happening. Leaving aside whether it would succeed, is it even possible for RIM to suddenly open up a huge media store? The Netflix, iTunes and Amazon media operations didn't sprout up overnight.
    The announcement may have been September, but it was tied to the 2.0 release so there's no reason you'd see a sign of it happening until they release 2.0 or decide to tell us more about it.

I think it's totally possible for RIM to do that, in one of two ways. They have lots of experience with infrastructure themselves, and are deep into some "cloud" projects which nobody talks about publicly, so that might be one route. The other would be partnering with someone... after all, they have the thing with 7 Digital for music, so why can't they just do it like that for video?

Heck, maybe it's a partnership with Netflix. ;-)
    01-06-12 06:01 PM
    1. When i drive clints around i use pb to : find streets with google maps, get information on listings from stratus (our internal mls). I easily connect to my bb to go online in seconds at no extra cost
    I've picked out just this - how do you use GoogleMaps? I cannot get it to work on my OS 1.xxx PB. It locks up at the loading screen. Others have mentioned the same problems. What is your method if you don't mind? Thanks.
    01-06-12 07:39 PM
    Heck, maybe it's a partnership with Netflix. ;-)
    Wouldn't that be nice? The Kindle Fire would have been the perfect Netflix device, had it been made with a video out port. Playbook has HDMI out, so at home, use your big TV...
    01-06-12 08:36 PM
89 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD