The cost of breaking contract is mathmatically less than the savings of getting free browsing via the bridge on another carrier.

$30/month x 12 months is $360/year.

If you are exclusive to the torch i know this isnt an option but consider another phone. Let the llaybook be your touchscreen.

And F at&t.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 08:36 AM
    The problem is I can't, were I'm moving to Verizon and sprint don't get service. I don't know about tmobile, but with at&t I got 3g with 3-4 bars at my house. Though now I get edge and 2 bars I've already complained. The house is down the road from Watkins international race track. But I'm 20miles south of the track on the same road, the tower is at the track.
    07-01-11 08:42 AM
    I'm with tmobile, hopefully the merger gets denied & I can keep gsm with a decent carrier, but I will NEVER be an AT&T customer (& I use the word "customer" lightly considering how AT&T treat them).

07-01-11 08:47 AM
    Am I missing something regarding ATT and Bridge? The OTA bridge app I installed works fine. Are you saying they will somehow begin charging? Even if this is taken away it isn't a huge deal to me. Bridge browsing is handy in a pinch, but I could just as easily use my BB for the limited times I don't have WiFi coverage. I'm also fortunate enough to have a company-supplied 4g hotspot which blows away the turtle-slow bridge browsing.

Aside from that, who would I go to? I had Sprint, but their coverage is awful outside metro areas and interstates. I don't know a lot about other carriers, but I believe ATT blows away everyone other than Verizon with coverage area. And Verizon is out for me - CDMA not allowing simultaneous voice and data is a dealbreaker.
    07-01-11 10:29 AM
    The problem is I can't, were I'm moving to Verizon and sprint don't get service. I don't know about tmobile, but with at&t I got 3g with 3-4 bars at my house. Though now I get edge and 2 bars I've already complained. The house is down the road from Watkins international race track. But I'm 20miles south of the track on the same road, the tower is at the track.
    If you're refering to Watkins Glen, I feel for you! I grew up not far from there, love the Finger Lakes. My son goes to Cornell, and is stuck with AT&T. The service sucks and it kills me to pay his bill every month.
    07-01-11 10:51 AM
    I have yet to see any statement from AT&T that says they will be disabling or charging for the use of the Bridge Browser. I think everyone is misunderstanding what AT&T said. I believe they are enabling full use of the Bridge today, as well as offering a discounted $20 tethering option for people who need the added capability of true tethering. What am I missing here?
    07-01-11 11:00 AM
    I have yet to see any statement from AT&T that says they will be disabling or charging for the use of the Bridge Browser. I think everyone is misunderstanding what AT&T said. I believe they are enabling full use of the Bridge today, as well as offering a discounted $20 tethering option for people who need the added capability of true tethering. What am I missing here?
    No one trusts ATT, that's why.
    07-01-11 11:02 AM
    I'd have to agree with foreverup. First my bridge browser worked flawlessly before I added tethering and still works after. I recently added tethering to my plan for other reasons and its only $20 more a month I don't know where the other numbers are comming from. Don't get me wrong AT&T is no godsend but the argument just isn't adding up. Maybe its an incompatibility with the phone? I am using a torch if that helps any.
    07-01-11 11:06 AM
    I'd have to agree with foreverup. First my bridge browser worked flawlessly before I added tethering and still works after. I recently added tethering to my plan for other reasons and its only $20 more a month I don't know where the other numbers are comming from. Don't get me wrong AT&T is no godsend but the argument just isn't adding up. Maybe its an incompatibility with the phone? I am using a torch if that helps any.
    All I'm saying is that I have yet to see any word from AT&T that they are somehow hobbling the Bridge Browser. Everyone is assuming the comment about $20 tethering is referring to using the Bridge Browser, but I haven't seen that anywhere..
    07-01-11 11:22 AM
    no extra cost to bridge. tethering is 20 a month

07-01-11 11:25 AM
    no extra cost to bridge. tethering is 20 a month

So why would anyone be upset about that?

I've been seeing misinformed blogs posting articles that the $20 will be required for basic Bridge functions. Confusion reigns supreme!!

AT&T Finally Approves BlackBerry Bridge App. $20 Tethering Package Required.
    07-01-11 11:28 AM
    All I'm saying is that I have yet to see any word from AT&T that they are somehow hobbling the Bridge Browser. Everyone is assuming the comment about $20 tethering is referring to using the Bridge Browser, but I haven't seen that anywhere..
    The things not adding up part he mentioned is how is att going to enforce that $20/month they would have to add to every BB on their network. Or charge $20/month through app world.
    07-01-11 11:30 AM

I've been seeing misinformed blogs posting articles that the $20 will be required for basic Bridge functions. Confusion reigns supreme!!

Also look at the original allthingd article in the OP, that this article is using as a reference, they state to use BB internet services it is 20 per month. That is implying that RIM buckled and rewrote the app without the browser.
    07-01-11 11:33 AM
    I completely agree. Everyone is freaking out over nothing.

I'd jump on the $20 tethering option in a heartbeat except for one major problem. If I sign up for the tethering I lose the unlimited data plan that I'm grandfathered into.
    07-01-11 11:35 AM

I'd jump on the $20 tethering option in a heartbeat except for one major problem. If I sign up for the tethering I lose the unlimited data plan that I'm grandfathered into.
    I'm in the same boat with my international plan.
    mpcook likes this.
    07-01-11 11:37 AM

I was worried about the same thing I had 4 phones grandfathered in but then I checked the history on all 4 phones and not once did the data on them exceed 1gb. That said I instantly dropped to the lower data plan for 25 instead of 30 ( saves me 20 a month off the top). I'd say check how much data you really use and is the unlimited data really just not woth it. For some it maybe for others its not.

07-01-11 11:39 AM
    Also look at the original allthingd article in the OP, that this article is using as a reference, they state to use BB internet services it is 20 per month. That is implying that RIM buckled and rewrote the app without the browser.
    I don't think it implies that at all. I think that refers to tethering..
    07-01-11 11:41 AM

same here bub
    07-01-11 11:42 AM
    I was worried about the same thing I had 4 phones grandfathered in but then I checked the history on all 4 phones and not once did the data on them exceed 1gb. That said I instantly dropped to the lower data plan for 25 instead of 30 ( saves me 20 a month off the top). I'd say check how much data you really use and is the unlimited data really just not woth it. For some it maybe for others its not.

The other piece that I failed to mention is that I'd also lose international data which is currently included. Given that I travel to Canada frequently that could be an issue. However your point is well taken and in as much as the tethering option could be used with my laptop as well as my PB it just might be worth doing. Certainly worth doing the analysis as you've suggested.
    07-01-11 11:51 AM

I'm in the same boat with my international plan.
    Hey Guys, Mike from Gadgetsteria here.

I didn't say RIM would charge $20 outright for Bridge, though I can see how it came off like that.

I may have been a bit harsh, but I feel that RIM Is allowing AT&T to get their foot in the door and ruin the future of Bridge-like functionality (and on a larger scale future BlackBerry devices) by picking and choosing features.

Yes, AT&T already does this with tethering for all other phones. But the fact of the matter is the PlayBook's bread and butter feature that RIM has marketed is the Bridge app allowing full access to the outside world.

If anything, RIM and AT&T should have struck a deal as this is a special device, special circumstance, etc. etc.

Hopefully the other carriers don't follow suit.
    Mojoski likes this.
    07-01-11 12:10 PM

I didn't say RIM would charge $20 outright for Bridge, though I can see how it came off like that.
    I stand corrected, Mike. I should have known better than to give AT&T the benefit of the doubt. Disabling Bridge Browser without a tethering option was a bad move on their part.
    07-01-11 12:12 PM
    Well if my international plan is gone because of this then so long RIM.
    07-01-11 12:16 PM
    When I tried Bridge Browser on my PB, it was pretty slow where it is pretty painful to browse. I don't know if it is worth it pay $20/month more for the tethering plan.
    07-01-11 12:21 PM
    When I tried Bridge Browser on my PB, it was pretty slow where it is pretty painful to browse. I don't know if it is worth it pay $20/month more for the tethering plan.
    .93 version is actually pretty good but still not worth 20
    07-01-11 12:23 PM

......but I feel that RIM Is allowing AT&T to get their foot in the door and ruin the future of Bridge-like functionality (and on a larger scale future BlackBerry devices) by picking and choosing features.
    What features do you feel AT&T has disabled?

I stand corrected, Mike. I should have known better than to give AT&T the benefit of the doubt. Disabling Bridge Browser without a tethering option was a bad move on their part.
    What evidence do you have that AT&T has disabled the Bridge Browser?

Well if my international plan is gone because of this then so long RIM.
    Your plan may be different. I'm on a corporate plan that gives us unlimited data including international. I've been told that if I add Tethering capability that I'll lose the unlimited plan, be put on a tiered plan, and that international data will be an added charge. But that may not be true in all cases.
    07-01-11 12:24 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD