...I found yet another streaming service, the video feed for ahl hockey, requires silverlight. Would be fantastic to watch my local team on the playbook but sadly, once again, the hardware is fully capable but not the software.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 09:29 AM
    Yep if they get Silverlight, then I'll let people get by with this "full web" statement, but their is enough Silverlight content out there that without Silverlight the Playbook does not support full web. Since RIM is a partner with MS you would think that they would make this more of a priority.
    teamfoster03 likes this.
    10-16-11 09:40 AM
    I really hope they get silverlight on the PB. Especially since Silverlight is commonly used in corporations and applications like SharePoint.

And if RIM actually adds silverlight development to the list of ways of developing an application for the playbook (highly unlikely however), I'll be really happy.
    10-16-11 10:46 AM
    Do you guys think if the PB gets Silverlight support (I think there's a good chance it will, just my opinion) that Netflix would block it anyways? Like Hulu.
    10-16-11 10:48 AM
    Do you guys think if the PB gets Silverlight support (I think there's a good chance it will, just my opinion) that Netflix would block it anyways? Like Hulu.
    Definitely possible. I can't see a reason for blocking it since it is a paid service and you need an account to access content, but they could block it.
    10-16-11 10:58 AM
    Silverlight would be great... Too many of us keep bringing it up (a good thing)... Let's keep talking about it until we get it... To me (and many of us) its a no-brain-er. Common RIM!! Listen to the business community!

10-16-11 11:06 AM
    I mean, I guess our CPU was approved by Netflix for an App (not sure why it hasnt came) but I dont know why Hulu blocked our browser either.
    10-16-11 11:08 AM
    Hulu blocks all mobile devices. Playbook has nothing to do with it. It's mostly the providers that don't allow Hulu stream to mobile devices.
    10-16-11 11:58 AM
    Yes, but Hulu wasnt blocked at first, they proactively blocked it after. I guess it doesnt matter but...
    10-16-11 12:01 PM
    It was blocked because it's a mobile device and when the PB was first released it probably wasn't a blip on their radar. Hulu blocks mobile device because that's what their deal with the studios tell them
    10-16-11 12:04 PM
    Yes. My point is, we dont know what Netflix would do even if we get Silverlight browser support.
    10-16-11 12:07 PM
    If the PB got Silverlight I don't see Netflix blocking the device. It's a paid service that's present on mobile devices. It would also save Netflix from having to spend time and money to develop an app.
    10-16-11 12:10 PM
    So is Hulu/Hulu+. I guess we'll see.
    10-16-11 12:14 PM
    Hulu is free to desktop. Hulu+ is paid. I dont see what you're getting at really. If Hulu comes with an app for Hulu+ for the PB it will be a paid service but you still won't get Hulu.com free just like apple and android don't get Hulu.com free because there is a Hulu+ app and Hulu+ doesn't have everything that Hulu.com has.

You pay for Netflix there is no free Netflix service except for that trial offer.
    10-16-11 12:24 PM
    Hulu is free to desktop. Hulu+ is paid. I dont see what you're getting at really. If Hulu comes with an app for Hulu+ for the PB it will be a paid service but you still won't get Hulu.com free just like apple and android don't get Hulu.com free because there is a Hulu+ app and Hulu+ doesn't have everything that Hulu.com has.

You pay for Netflix there is no free Netflix service except for that trial offer.
    Exactly
    10-16-11 01:34 PM
    Yes, please. I just bought my mom an iPad and, while I like my PB better, watching Netflix on her device made me wonder what I'm doing with this thing.
    David
    10-16-11 01:47 PM
    Does windows phone or tablet even have silverlight yet? I know MS was working on a scaled down version of it for mobile devices but have they even finished it?

10-16-11 06:11 PM
    Does windows phone or tablet even have silverlight yet? I know MS was working on a scaled down version of it for mobile devices but have they even finished it?

Tablets right now are just Windows OS so yes it is in there. I believe that I read that WP7 has Silverlight built in, and it is only mobile OS with official support currently.
    10-16-11 06:36 PM
    Is Netflix better in the U.S.? Because I considered it and looked at their catalogue (while in Canada) and saw that they had 3/11 Star Trek movies, 0/5 X-men movies, 0/3-4 Matrix movies, 0/4-5 Terminator movies, and as I started just typing in random movies to see if they had anything, I also saw that they had 0/4.5 Shrek movies... If you've only found one other website so far that uses Silverlight and this is what Netflix is outside of the U.S., don't expect enough demand to actually get Silverlight...
    10-16-11 06:42 PM
    Is Netflix better in the U.S.? Because I considered it and looked at their catalogue (while in Canada) and saw that they had 3/11 Star Trek movies, 0/5 X-men movies, 0/3-4 Matrix movies, 0/4-5 Terminator movies, and as I started just typing in random movies to see if they had anything, I also saw that they had 0/4.5 Shrek movies... If you've only found one other website so far that uses Silverlight and this is what Netflix is outside of the U.S., don't expect enough demand to actually get Silverlight...
    Netflix is pretty good. I'd get it just to watch Breaking Bad
    10-16-11 06:45 PM
    I hope not. Its silly for them to do so because it is a good selling point for netflix (especially after having lost over a million subscriptions due to an insane, unprecedented 60% price hike).

The reason i ask is because i keep finding scenarios where i need silverlight.. and while the fanbois keep drumming the beat of "defend rim at all costs" and say silverlight is outdated and useless, all i know is i keep finding streaming errors saying "you need to download the latest version of silverlight".

10-17-11 05:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD