so coming from the android world ( tablet and phone ) there are a few must have apps ...eg Advanced task killer , google voice ,swiss army knife

so what are the "must have" apps for the PB ?

Do I need an app killer ?

can I get a voice to text for e-mail ?

Is there a " gas buddy " app for the PB ? one that gives price at the pumps and use's gps for location ?

Free would be best if possible

I have to say the BB market is a little thin compared to Android ... but I am impressed with this tablet

thanks for any advice
    07-16-12 06:42 PM
    Welcome to the world of Playbook!

I'm a fairly new person to the Playbook myself, got it about a month ago.

I don't use an App Killer. The beautiful thing about the Playbook is the app management. What you see open on the home screen is what is running. If you don't like it, swipe up or hit the little X in the corner. I don't know about background tasks as I haven't had a problem with slow downs to care to try and kill them. Maybe someone else with more experience can answer that?

I don't know about text to voice for email..

Try out Poynt for gas buddy. They may have gone bankrupt but it's a great app and integrates more than just gas prices. The other alternative is to see if gas buddy can be side loaded as an Android app.

Must have apps is all in the eye of the beholder =) I had to have Evernote as I use it frequently. Most of the apps I have found just by poking around and downloading things. The only thing I haven't found a decent alternative to is Google Talk. I haven't downloaded apps, but they don't look promising. That's the one thing I miss from not having bought an Android tab.

Enjoy the experience and take some time to get to know your new tablet!
    ute likes this.
    07-16-12 07:08 PM
    Get Ghost Commander and Air Browser in app world, both free file browsers. Ghost is great for organizing files on your PB- its one drawback is that it shouldn't be used to create folders, but can be used to move files around in existing folders. It can also be used to connect to your Windows PC and has an android app laucher/manager. Air is a native file browser, though, while basic, is easy to use and can be used to create folders.
    ute likes this.
    07-16-12 07:51 PM
    ok don't laugh but where the heck do the downloaded apps go ?

should they not be on the "homepage " with a swipe to the left ?

got google sync and poynt ..but cant find either ..don't want to d/l any more untill I find these

thanks for the help
    07-16-12 09:50 PM
    scroll down on the homepage. they should be there at the bottom..
    ute likes this.
    07-16-12 10:21 PM
    they are usually installed at the bottom of your home screen (sweep up)
    ute likes this.
    07-16-12 10:28 PM
    POYNT is great .. actually uses GasBuddy for gas prices ..

As for "Must haves" it really depends as to what you want to do with your tablet .. games? navigation? productivity? Pictures/video? books/magazines?
    Last edited by badboygt; 07-17-12 at 09:31 AM.
    07-17-12 09:28 AM
    wow ok there they are ..lol..total newbie !!....thanks

yes poynt does what I want ..perfect

google sync ..nah it shows my contacts ..need them in my ported over to my e-mail

as for what I need just basic's ..gps (maps) , words with friends , angry birds , internet surfing ,mail
    07-17-12 08:30 PM

google sync ..nah it shows my contacts ..need them in my ported over to my e-mail

as for what I need just basic's ..gps (maps) , words with friends , angry birds , internet surfing ,mail
    07-17-12 08:30 PM

Maps: There is Bing Maps preloaded. I have heard a side loaded Google Maps works pretty well, but I haven't tried that myself

I don't know about words with friends, I don't know as I don't play it.

With the google sync are you attempting to import your contacts into the Contacts application? If so they should have sync'd when you setup your gmail account assuming you asked it to sync your contacts when setting it up =P
    07-17-12 09:05 PM
    yes I want it to sync ..but when I installed g-mail I had no option to sync ( yahoo did) no idea why there was no option to sync contacts
    07-17-12 10:06 PM
    Here's What I installed

App Killer for android apps. Free version
    Air Browser - Free
    PDF CREATOR Ultimate - Free
    Evernote - Free
    ElectroTools - Free
    Sketchbook - Free
    Sketchblock - Free
    Bluebox - Dropbox - Free

Twitter:
    Blaq - Native
    Blackbird - Native
    Twitter for Android

Android Converted:
    Handrite Free
    Advanced Task Killer Free
    Whatsapp

Paid:
    GroovyNotes ($3.75)
    Battery Guru ($0.75) Battery Tracking. Chaging Count. Power Consumption.
    Antair Nightstand ($1.50)
    Files & Folders ($2.25)
    I think my prices are different for US users, but should be around there.
    Last edited by alekza; 07-17-12 at 10:30 PM.
    cdelcampo216 and ute like this.
    07-17-12 10:22 PM
    Hmm interesting -app killer- I do love this on my android device's ..it is a must have on that platform

so app killer does work with the PB if you side load it ?
    07-18-12 07:30 PM
    Hmm interesting -app killer- I do love this on my android device's ..it is a must have on that platform

so app killer does work with the PB if you side load it ?
    Exactly.

It shouldnt be needed. But I have notice that when I have an android app running.. others are sometimes running in the backgroud. (specially if I open them all) (althou not active). With the app killer I actually shut them down.

To "kill" native apps running, just closing them gets the job done.
    ute likes this.
    07-18-12 07:49 PM
    Where can I find app killer?
    07-18-12 07:56 PM
    Where can I find app killer?
    I'll send you a link for it. dunno if these things can be posted publicly althou its the free version.
    ute likes this.
    07-18-12 09:51 PM
    If you want to get into side loading apps, this is a well known place to start:

Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook Android App Store
    ute likes this.
    07-18-12 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD