Over the time I've had my PlayBook - well PlayBooks, really, I have two 64G models, one that's just really a backup, on charge, gets very occasional use, and my main one that I take all over the place, that gets use multiple times of the day.

Over time, I'd noticed slowdown on the PlayBook - notably within the email client and the browser - not necessarily checker-boarding, so much, as just general sluggishness. In recent times, I'd noticed slowdown even permeating to things like the options / configurations screens.

Prior to this, I'd noticed that clearing the cache and local storage in the browser, had been enough to make things more snappy in both the email client and browser (I suspect has some impact on the email client, because there's clearly some browser embedded to render HTML emails).

But recently, even that hadn't done much to resolve the sluggishness of my main PlayBook - whilst my second PlayBook was still fine. Not wanting to have to wipe it (as I may lose some apps that were free, and now payware), plus didn't really want to have to go to the bother of setting up everything again if I didn't have to, I wondered about something...

The email client on both my PlayBooks was configured as using gmail, and imap. I have quite a lot of emails in my gmail main mailbox, and I noticed on my sluggish PlayBook, all the items it said it was syncing when it did. I wondered whether that would have any impact. As I've recently got a Z10, and tend to do more email reading on there - and I suppose it being so snappy in comparison to the PlayBook had highlighted this issue to me.

So, I deleted the native mailbox on both my PlayBooks (I wasn't really using it so much now I use my Z10 for most email reading away from my PCs). Hey Presto! My sluggish PlayBook is no longer sluggish. I still have my caldav and carddav setups for my gmail account for contacts and calendar.

I can still read my gmail through a browser - and perhaps it's more convenient to do so, since I often open email links to browser pages (no, not for any financial sites!).

So, my tip, if your PlayBook has become sluggish and slow, delete your mailbox account, clear the cache and local storage from the browser (that doesn't delete cookies, so you should still retain saved logins to various web pages if you use them), reboot, and see how it seems.
    FF22, eddy_berry and mmd12 like this.
    05-29-13 06:52 AM
    I have Gmail via Thunderbird on a Windows 7 machine and did a re-install of everything recently on a change of hard drive. In the process I changed Gmail access to imap and since then I've had incredibly sluggish performance.

I only haven't bothered to alter things as I don't use Gmail as my main email, so only access it about once a day.
    05-29-13 07:06 AM
    Since I still use the Full-Featured Bridge, I don't have any native email setup on my primary 64gig pb. I rarely see much slowdown in apps.

I only added gmail to the 32gig this last week after someone posted some gmail question and I wanted to see if it would setup. But I don't read the email on there, just collect it. And since I really don't use it, I've not noticed any slowdowns. Since it has its own bb-id, I only have some free apps and only one paid app - Battery Guru.
    05-29-13 09:46 AM
    Since starting this thread, I've made comments in this thread about wiping and debricking my first PlayBook, then not reinstating the email client (gmail account in my example) - although I have contacts and calendar pointing to my gmail config.

A few days in, and no return of any slowdown, and just as snappy as a fresh build or my 2nd PlayBook.
    06-14-13 10:05 AM
    Since starting this thread, I've made comments in this thread about wiping and debricking my first PlayBook, then not reinstating the email client (gmail account in my example) - although I have contacts and calendar pointing to my gmail config.

A few days in, and no return of any slowdown, and just as snappy as a fresh build or my 2nd PlayBook.
    I think with some concerted effort (which can be concerted and time consuming and a pain) we could probably come up with some sure fire reasons why the slow downs occur.

On the Video freeze/stall, I think someone pointed out that as memory got lower, the pause would return. A wipe would remove it. I attribute (not scientific) it to disk writes, even on flash media, as it tries finding room to store the on-going video.

So, there are probably routines in how the OS deals with email or video storage or whatever that are not as efficient as possible. It could also be what we use to call "housekeeping" in the old days (ibm 360) not being handled well.
    06-14-13 12:06 PM