So I have been syncing my iTunes music to the PB via the Desktop Manager lately. It can be a slow process but it works.

I added some songs today and after syncing to the PB all my Playlists are gone. All the music appears to be there but the playlists have disapeared off the device. I've re-synced a few times now as well as restarted the PC and PB with no luck.

I went through the same process with my phone and had no issues - playlists are all there.

Any ideas?
    12-28-11 11:38 PM
    I am still new with PB so read a lot of the problem posts for advanced info. One of the topics I have seen referred to missing files and the solution was to reboot (turn off, not sleep) the PB. If the files are still not recognized, then a full restart was recommended but I don't know if there are negatives to using the full restart, I saw none when I tried it except some difficulty getting it to come back on and a really slow boot.
    12-28-11 11:50 PM
    Restart didn't help. The music files are there and they will play; it's just the playlists that are missing.
    12-28-11 11:52 PM
    Here's a new one. This morning I fired it up and when I try to start the Music player app I get nothing but a blue screen for a few seconds and then it closes. WTF?
    12-29-11 08:48 AM
    Here's a new one. This morning I fired it up and when I try to start the Music player app I get nothing but a blue screen for a few seconds and then it closes. WTF?
    I have real problems with any automated sync app no matter who makes it.

But as to your music app issue: Try pressing the Battery Icon and chose RESTART.

If that fails, try pressing the PowerOn button for 10-15 seconds. If that fails

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shoot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    12-29-11 10:33 AM
    Thanks but I've done soft and hard resets with no real changes. The music app will open now but I still haven't had any luck getting the playlists back on the device.

I'm about ready to toss it off the deck.
    12-29-11 11:33 AM
    You can create playlists manually.

For them to work, they merely have to point at the file and folder. For example the "tunes" in this playlist are located in

\\192.168.1.103\media\music\Prokofiev Classical Sym

but the reference in the m3u file is not that involved.

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:226,Prokofiev - Prokofiev Class1
    Prokofiev Classical Sym\Prokofiev Class1.mp3
    #EXTINF:203,Prokofiev - Prokofiev Class2
    Prokofiev Classical Sym\Prokofiev Class2.mp3
    #EXTINF:98,Prokofiev - Prokofiev Class3
    Prokofiev Classical Sym\Prokofiev Class3.mp3
    #EXTINF:247,Prokofiev - Prokofiev Class4
    Prokofiev Classical Sym\Prokofiev Class4.mp3

The mu3 file is located in the music folder and not in the individual prokofiev folder.
    Last edited by F2; 12-29-11 at 12:36 PM.
    12-29-11 12:33 PM
    Holy cow - your last post is like greek to me

Even if I can create them manually it does me no practical good; I have a couple dozen playlists and some of them have hundreds of songs; no way I'm going through and re-creating them.

The Playbook is useful to me as a media player IF it can sync to iTunes, which I know it can since it was working before. If for whatever reason it will no longer sync properly it is not worth the effort to try to use it as a music player.

So now I have deleted all the music off the device, re-booted it and my PC and I'm re-syncing everything from the beginning. With nearly 2000 songs this will take most of the day; if it works it will represent nearly 12 hours of mucking around to add 3 songs to 2 playlists
    12-29-11 01:23 PM
    How do you delete individual song off the PB?
    12-29-11 01:51 PM
    I just deleted the entire music sync folder. If you have a file manager app like AIR Browser you can select and delete folders or individual files.

You can also delete files from the music player itself; swipe down and hit the Edit function; select and delete.

I'm about 2/3 done my current sync; should be another couple hours and we'll see if I have my playlists back.
    12-29-11 03:01 PM
    Holy cow - your last post is like greek to me

Even if I can create them manually it does me no practical good; I have a couple dozen playlists and some of them have hundreds of songs; no way I'm going through and re-creating them.

The Playbook is useful to me as a media player IF it can sync to iTunes, which I know it can since it was working before. If for whatever reason it will no longer sync properly it is not worth the effort to try to use it as a music player.

So now I have deleted all the music off the device, re-booted it and my PC and I'm re-syncing everything from the beginning. With nearly 2000 songs this will take most of the day; if it works it will represent nearly 12 hours of mucking around to add 3 songs to 2 playlists
    I understand the 12 hours of mucking. I did a security wipe about 3 weeks ago. Restoring my data (and apps) was tedious. About 800 songs, similar number of photos, 50 or so videos and assorted docs, txts, pdf, excels, etc.

Can't you have manually copied those playlists to the pb? You might have needed a bit of global search/replace to deal with folder trees or hierarchies in the files.

Sync really does drive me to distraction. I have found in the past that I want to remove things from my mp3 player - fine, I delete. Then the damn sync either restores them there or removes my original copies from the computer - it thinks,
    "oh, you don't want them on the mp3-player, you don't want them at all!!!!"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    12-29-11 04:24 PM
    I just deleted the entire music sync folder. If you have a file manager app like AIR Browser you can select and delete folders or individual files.

You can also delete files from the music player itself; swipe down and hit the Edit function; select and delete.

I'm about 2/3 done my current sync; should be another couple hours and we'll see if I have my playlists back.
    I loaded all my song in the in the Music area, At download another folder poped up next to the Playbook Playlist and the download began
    The songs show up in all the categories above All Songs, Artists. etc.
    When I use the edit feature it only offers add and cancel and add seem to add the songs to the Playbook Playlist
    Help can i delete these songs and start again
    12-29-11 05:18 PM
    Can't you have manually copied those playlists to the pb? You might have needed a bit of global search/replace to deal with folder trees or hierarchies in the files.
    Oh man I have no idea - that might be a bit complicated for me; and while the songs may have ended up in the right 'playlist' folders; they wouldn't be in the correct order - which is sort of the reason I use playlists rather than just sorting by genre.

Anyway, the sync is done, the playlists are back and all my music appears to be where it should be. All this for three new songs; I don't think I'm going to be syncing this device very often !

When I use the edit feature it only offers add and cancel and add seem to add the songs to the Playbook Playlist
    Help can i delete these songs and start again
    You're right - I just checked and there is no delete function in the music player itself.

I'm no expert but the way I would do it is to download the AIR Browser (free app) and use it to delete the songs you don't want. That is the app I used to delete my entire library. Good luck!
    12-29-11 09:38 PM
    Mikey_T. I downloaded the AIR Browser (free app) and it worked perfectly it to delete songs you don't want or the the entire library. A must have app for the PB.
    Thanks
    Mikey_T likes this.
    12-30-11 07:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD