Hi,

I just updated my Playbook to OS 2.1 now none of my music is working! It all worked fine before but now I get "This filetype isn't supported".

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks.

Jeff
    10-07-12 12:11 PM
    What format is the music in? Have you rebooted? Have you turned it off and let it sit 5 minutes or so and then turned it back on?
    10-07-12 12:18 PM
    Hi,

I just updated my Playbook to OS 2.1 now none of my music is working! It all worked fine before but now I get "This filetype isn't supported".

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks.

Jeff
    Hey Jeff,

Could you edit your thread title to change 2.2 to 2.1? We don't want a whole bunch of people speculating when OS 2.2 is coming. I personally heard from a friend of mine that 2.2 is coming out next Tuesday.
    10-07-12 12:31 PM
    Hey Jeff,

Could you edit your thread title to change 2.2 to 2.1? We don't want a whole bunch of people speculating when OS 2.2 is coming. I personally heard from a friend of mine that 2.2 is coming out next Tuesday.
    " I personally heard from a friend of mine that 2.2 is coming out next Tuesday." Sarcasm or the truth?
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-07-12 12:36 PM
    "What format is the music in?"

m4a

"Have you rebooted? "

Yes. No dice.

"Have you turned it off and let it sit 5 minutes or so and then turned it back on?"

Just tried that. Again. No dice.
    10-07-12 04:27 PM
    "Could you edit your thread title to change 2.2 to 2.1?"

Oops . No edit function is immediately apparent ...
    10-07-12 04:28 PM
    Well some people had issues with videos and or movies and said they copied them back to the pb from their computer and they worked after that., Maybe try one of yours and see if it helps.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-07-12 04:34 PM
    I just downloaded three random M4A files off the internet (don't tell the RIAA)---one of them worked, but two said file type not supported. So there are apparently one or more "flavors" of M4A, and not all are recognized by the PB. Worst case, get software to convert your .m4a's into .mp3's.

ETA: Digging just a tad deeper, the two .m4a files that didn't work had DRM protection, and the one that worked did not...
    Last edited by dugggggg; 10-07-12 at 05:04 PM.
    10-07-12 04:52 PM
    Put the files on your desktop and convert them again and reload them all will work.
    10-07-12 05:23 PM
    "Well some people had issues with videos and or movies and said they copied them back to the pb from their computer and they worked after that., Maybe try one of yours and see if it helps."

That was a pain ... and didn't work
    10-07-12 07:36 PM
    " So there are apparently one or more "flavors" of M4A, and not all are recognized by the PB. Worst case, get software to convert your .m4a's into .mp3's."

I had already re-encoded these files for the playbook and all worked before. I would rather not have to convert them to mp3's.
    10-07-12 07:38 PM
    seems like 2.1 is gettin bettee and better :P
    hey rim when will 2.2 be released with the bugfixes for the problems created by 2.1?
    10-07-12 07:47 PM
    "Well some people had issues with videos and or movies and said they copied them back to the pb from their computer and they worked after that., Maybe try one of yours and see if it helps."

That was a pain ... and didn't work
    It was a pain to try it with one file?
    10-07-12 07:56 PM
    Update:

I deleted all the files off the playbook and re-uploaded a file. The playbook now no longer even recognizes it.
    10-07-12 10:09 PM
    Follow up question:

If there is no way to resolve this is there a downgrade path?
    10-07-12 10:10 PM
    Update:

I deleted all the files off the playbook and re-uploaded a file. The playbook now no longer even recognizes it.
    Are these files purchased from iTunes? If so, they may be DRM protected, as noted above. The DRM files I had on my PB were not recognized by the PB, and even if they were, my PB couldn't play them, since they need to be authorized by iTunes to play. I had to convert the files to get them to play on my PB, and doing so was easier said than done. Anyhow, if you purchased these tunes from iTunes, it is not a Playbook problem, it's an Apple problem.
    10-07-12 10:45 PM
    Have 1 m4a file on my book and plays just fine
    10-08-12 12:00 AM
    Are these files purchased from iTunes? If so, they may be DRM protected, as noted above. The DRM files I had on my PB were not recognized by the PB, and even if they were, my PB couldn't play them, since they need to be authorized by iTunes to play. I had to convert the files to get them to play on my PB, and doing so was easier said than done. Anyhow, if you purchased these tunes from iTunes, it is not a Playbook problem, it's an Apple problem.
    i think he wrote that the same files played fine before the update of the os. alsl itunes music isnt drm protected.... it wss years ago but they changed it quickly and as far as i know almost all songs habe no protection on them.
    10-08-12 06:26 AM
    Did you apply some patch or something before that would allow it? Maybe download a music app from app world that somehow also installed a codec?
    10-08-12 08:16 AM
    the playbook is locked down, you cant simply install new codecs, if a app comes with different codec support its only possible to use it within the app.
    can you send me one of your not working m4a? i just did a security wipe on mine and have a fresh 2.1 install soon and can report if this could work for you.
    10-08-12 08:50 AM