Any insight if running multiple browsers at once will be something to expect in a future update? Not 3rd party (ie: Comic Sans) browsers.

Have there been any comments as to why RIM isn't going this route?

It seems like common sense to me. Given the quality of web apps out there (twitter, cloud reader, gmail) multiple browser windows seems like a great way to mitigate some of the frustration due to lack of apps.

Seems like the way of the future. Why would a company like twitter care to submit an app to App World, App Store, Market Place, if they can easily role out apps over the web?
    08-25-11 12:18 PM
    Why do you need multiple windows? Aren't multiple tabs good enough?
    08-25-11 12:22 PM
    Why do you need multiple windows? Aren't multiple tabs good enough?
    Good enough, but not ideal. Doesn't take full advantage of the PlayBook multitasking experience.

For basic browsing, I'm perfectly happy with tabs. But for sites and web apps I continually return to, I'd rather have a separate window.
    08-25-11 12:26 PM
    Good enough, but not ideal. Doesn't take full advantage of the PlayBook multitasking experience.

For basic browsing, I'm perfectly happy with tabs. But for sites and web apps I continually return to, I'd rather have a separate window.
    I think its a preference thing. I for one never use multiple browser windows even on my Macbook and PC. I find it very irritating switching from window to window. The tabs are right there in front of you.
    08-25-11 12:28 PM
    Yeah, if I'm streaming off Pandora's site, I'd like to open up another window to browse another site. If I open a new tab, the stream will pause until I go back to that tab. So being able to open multiple browser windows would be a nice addition.
    08-25-11 12:35 PM
    Any insight if running multiple browsers at once will be something to expect in a future update? Not 3rd party (ie: Comic Sans) browsers.

Have there been any comments as to why RIM isn't going this route?

It seems like common sense to me. Given the quality of web apps out there (twitter, cloud reader, gmail) multiple browser windows seems like a great way to mitigate some of the frustration due to lack of apps.

Seems like the way of the future. Why would a company like twitter care to submit an app to App World, App Store, Market Place, if they can easily role out apps over the web?
    Why reject third party browsers? "Comic Sans" is functional.

One stormy day around here I had four browsers going. I had the PB main browser, comic and the bridge browser displaying various weather maps/tv coverage and my BB streaming the police scanner (not really a browser function but performing a similar role). I had the PB set to showcase mode and when minimized I could monitor the various maps/coverage and expand a browser when something looked interesting. I'm not really a weather bug but just wanted to see what PB multitasking could do.
    08-25-11 12:55 PM
    I would at least like a gesture to switch between tabs.
    08-25-11 09:00 PM
    I would at least like a gesture to switch between tabs.
    How would that be an improvement over the existing and relatively quick swipe down & tap?
    08-25-11 10:35 PM
    How would that be an improvement over the existing and relatively quick swipe down & tap?
    it'd also be hard to implement since hte broad swipe swaps windows.
    08-25-11 11:07 PM
    Yeah, if I'm streaming off Pandora's site, I'd like to open up another window to browse another site. If I open a new tab, the stream will pause until I go back to that tab. So being able to open multiple browser windows would be a nice addition.
    Uhm yeah not sure what your talking about but Pandora and other media sites stream no matter what tab you have opened. I am using Pandora in one tab right now as I type this in another tab all using one browser. It doesn't pause or stop. Not a single hickup. Its been like this for a while .
    Last edited by Witmen; 08-25-11 at 11:27 PM.
    08-25-11 11:24 PM
    It be quicker. One step compared to two.
    08-26-11 12:00 AM
    We have two now. Open the regular and the bridge browser. Just takes a swipe over and your in the other browser.
    08-26-11 08:20 AM
    Uhm yeah not sure what your talking about but Pandora and other media sites stream no matter what tab you have opened. I am using Pandora in one tab right now as I type this in another tab all using one browser. It doesn't pause or stop. Not a single hickup. Its been like this for a while .
    I'll have to try this again. In the past, whenever I've had Pandora running and switched tabs, the audio stopped.

Edit: You are correct! I have Pandora running in one browser tab, and it keeps playing if I switch to another webpage tab or go to another app. Very cool!
    Last edited by Invader3K; 08-26-11 at 08:33 AM.
    08-26-11 08:30 AM
    Okay, maybe not Pandora but I stream sports online, and when I click a new tab the video definitely pauses when trying to open a new tab.

FirstRow Free Live Sports Streams on your PC, Live Football Stream, Live MLB, Live NBA, Live NHL and more...

try for yourself.
    08-26-11 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD