"As for battery life, tablets win hands-down because they do not draw as much juice as laptops due to their inability to perform functions such as PowerPoint, he {MountRoyalUniversity prof. Rod Corbett} said. . . . {for a Sept 6th Neighbours/calgary herald article} " eehhh ?!

Smart tech: Think before you buy

I'm a novice when it comes to Pb functionality, but I'm sure I've seen a few posts on CB, where endusers of the Pb have stated using it during business travels for PP presentations vs a laptop. Majority (that have posted) don't even bother travelling a backup laptop !

Of course it also has been stated by endusers that the functionality is not 'complete' !

Anywho, IMHO this prof. needs more (or better utilitization of ) 'research' funds to also include the RIM BB Pb !

Maybe he should "Be Bold" and pop over to Wal'Canada this wk for a 32gb /$118cdn !!
    Last edited by Cracklen; 09-15-12 at 02:16 PM.
    bungaboy and Vorkosigan like this.
    09-15-12 02:14 PM
    Android devices can handle power point. Both Quick Office Pro and OfficeSuite Pro, which are both android apps, have PP capabilities.
    09-15-12 02:58 PM
    Creation is a no go with docs to go and playback is hit and miss. But the professor is wrong as tablets can very well handle powerpoint in some cases.
    09-15-12 03:09 PM
    It's nonsense. Keynote on the iPad is another example and Smart Office 2 on the PlayBook has a presentation app which uses Microsoft's PPT and PPTX formats.
    Last edited by bdegrande; 09-15-12 at 05:11 PM.
    09-15-12 04:48 PM
    After posting this thread, I was able to source the profs' email addy .... sent him the link to this thread. Maaaybe someone in his office will share how aged or restricted the sampling of tablets .

Did not find the reporters emailaddy yet.

Thanksfor the feedback on realtime actuals !
    Last edited by Cracklen; 09-15-12 at 05:43 PM.
    09-15-12 05:40 PM
    I use docs2go with a hdmi projector to give powerpoint presentations with my PB.
    BigAl_BB9900 and esk369 like this.
    09-15-12 10:54 PM
    Not to mention, that you can use your BB with your PB to control the PPT presentation remotely...
    BigAl_BB9900 and esk369 like this.
    09-15-12 10:59 PM
    Call me old school, but you can also make a bunch of JPEG images of the "slides" of your presentation, name them in order and use the Photos App to swipe through one at a time...no annoying animations or sound but hey, it works in a pinch.
    09-15-12 11:08 PM
    Creation is a no go with docs to go and playback is hit and miss. But the professor is wrong as tablets can very well handle powerpoint in some cases.
    I swear I was able to make a simple powerpoint through docs to go last academic year. If not you can always have a blank powerpoint file in your playbook and use that to make one and save as another file.

This professor needs to get better sources, or use them more. I'm pretty sure iOS, Android, and Playbook can perform functions like Powerpoint.

I'm sure he'll definitely know hes wrong when Win 8 tablets come out though.
    09-15-12 11:20 PM
    Ahh within a couple hrs he did respond to my email !

With a 'filler/fuller' explanation beyond what was stated in article, I think we should know how the media edits !!

anywho, with permission from Prof. Corbett to post here ;
    "Although there are apps for tablets that can play PowerPoint slide decks, you still can't run the full Microsoft PowerPoint software on an Playbook, iPad or Android tablet. So yes, presenting slides on a tablet is a great way to be portable. But developing the slide deck with all of the functionality of MS PowerPoint, you still need a full Windows or Mac computer/laptop. " !
    Last edited by Cracklen; 09-15-12 at 11:41 PM.
    09-15-12 11:39 PM

With a 'filler/fuller' explanation beyond what was stated in article, I think we should know how the media edits !!

"Although there are apps for tablets that can play PowerPoint slide decks, you still can't run the full Microsoft PowerPoint software on an Playbook, iPad or Android tablet. So yes, presenting slides on a tablet is a great way to be portable. But developing the slide deck with all of the functionality of MS PowerPoint, you still need a full Windows or Mac computer/laptop. " !
    I was just going to make this point... I think he would have been better served using a different analogy with something like Final Cut or Sony Vegas.

Relatively speaking tablets do very little at the moment compared to a laptop in terms of full functionality. If the top end MS Surface makes market I think that could change.
    Mr Donut likes this.
    09-16-12 12:14 AM
    Agree with Bungaboy and TheScionicMan

I regularly use my PB for ppt presentations (Docs2Go utilising HDMI) - there are limitations (eg no transitions, can't handle pptx) - but I am not a flash salesman, so plain slides work fine for me...

Very easy to plug into an Overhead Projector or Big Screen on the wall

The remote clicker functionality via Bridge (eg forward and back) is extremely useful (though it would be even better if I could link a BlueTooth Clicker/LaserPen to my PB)

The biggest problem, is me remembering to save the files as ppt.... (and not default pptx)
    esk369 likes this.
    09-16-12 12:53 PM

Not convinced. Tablets will not run desktop software, duh! Tablets can certainly develop (not just play) PPT presentations. Whether you need "all the functionality" of PowerPoint is open to question, in my case tablet software is entirely adequate, and in some respects easier to use. I would rather use Keynote on an iPad to develop presentations than Power Point on a PC/Mac for anything within its capabilities.
    09-16-12 03:25 PM
    there are windows 7 tablets out there to that would run office so no matter how you slice it its an incorrect statment
    09-16-12 03:29 PM
    I have been attending several seminars for the past 6 months... honestly, most of these hotels or venues where seminars or trainings are being officially held were equipped with dedicated pc's or laptops with digital or conventional overhead projectors - as part of its functions and purposes... the presenter needs only to bring flashdisk or CD / DVD, where his/her presentations are saved... they even discouraging the presenter to use his/her own laptop or even tablet for security, safety and operational reasons...

What I'm trying to point out is the capability and availability of a portable devices used for presentation is not really a big issue nowadays...
    09-17-12 03:39 AM
    I have been attending several seminars for the past 6 months... honestly, most of these hotels or venues where seminars or trainings are being officially held were equipped with dedicated pc's or laptops with digital or conventional overhead projectors - as part of its functions and purposes... the presenter needs only to bring flashdisk or CD / DVD, where his/her presentations are saved... they even discouraging the presenter to use his/her own laptop or even tablet for security, safety and operational reasons...

What I'm trying to point out is the capability and availability of a portable devices used for presentation is not really a big issue nowadays...
    I certainly don't want to let potential clients have hard copies of my presentations - if they want the consultancy they can pay for it! (Not try and reverse engineer it from a medium-high level powerpoint)
    09-17-12 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD