I've had my playbook since the December price drop and have been using it to stream videos to my TV. I've always used an MP4 format with mp3 audio extension and never had any problems. Ever since the update I have not been able to play any of these videos. This includes my P90X videos as well as my entire collection which I have spent countless hours convert to this extension because it previously worked flawlessly.

If someone knows, can you explain what happened with the update that has barred me from watching these files. I will literally switch my entire ecosystem away from blackberry if there is no solution.
    10-09-12 09:20 AM
    I would like an answer or workaround (that doesn't require re-encoding 50+ videos) as well. Thought it was something quirky with my PB but it looks like other users are having the same issue.
    10-09-12 09:23 AM
    Hey another user also had problems with media playback after the update, his problem where m4a audio files that also worked fine before the update.
    So there definatly is a issue with some codecs/containers in the new OS Update!

I will try some of my itunes m4a files that worked fine before when i get home from work and will report back.
    After that i will debrick my playbook (as the camera is not working anymore) and see if this may fix also the audi problem
    10-09-12 09:28 AM
    Wow, sorry to hear you guys are having troubles. FYI my MP4s work great on my PB since 2.1. Have you done a hard reset? That has straightened things out for a few people with various issues.
    10-09-12 09:39 AM
    Same here, all vids still work, even the ones I converted for my Storm 2/Torch 9850 play on my PB. some I did about 2 years ago and some recently as a month ago and just did a couple yesterday (after Update).

You might try to remove/delet them from your playbook and replace them using BB DT, and see what happens. It's possible the files got tweaked during the OS update and fresh movie files be re-installed.

C
    10-09-12 10:15 AM
    Hey,

Mine worked!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-09-12 10:19 AM
    Some of mine no longer work. Very strange.
    10-10-12 06:08 AM
    MP4 is just a container, that can contain a variety of video and audio streams each encoded with a variety of codecs. So just saying "my MP4's work" is pointless because there are many combinations of video+audio that can be stored in .mp4 that won't work.

The preferred standard for the PB as well as iPhone/iPad/Android is video encoded with h.264@Baseline Level 3 + audio encoded with aac 2.0 channel (low complexity).

If you have XviD video with MP3 audio, it might or might not work depending on encode settings and bitrates; if you have h.264 video but encoded at Level 4 or higher, it may or may not work depending on number of reference frames; if you have AC3 or DTS audio, it will not work for sure as the PB doesn't have decoders for those.

See here for the "official" supported media codecs and containers on the PB:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp..._(English).pdf

So please post your video specs if you are having trouble or success so people know what you are dealing with.

Cheers
    TRJB
    rcm1301 likes this.
    10-10-12 12:54 PM
    Okay so I did some researching and my MP4 files do have an audio codec of mp3. However, these files worked without a problem prior to upgrading the software. Anyone have thoughts on a workaround as I don't want to have to redownload all my movies (on my synology 212j) and convert them.

Jake
    11-29-12 02:04 PM
    What media player are you using to stream these vids, since I don't think that the native Videos app will stream anything but local media? FWIW, you should still be able to stream vids with mp3 audio.
    11-29-12 03:21 PM