Just a quick question� I'm wondering if I purchased a movie on the Playbook via the Video Store app, would I be able to view that movie if I were to copy it on my Z10? I noticed that the Video Store app for Playbook and the movie purchasing feature of Blackberry App World are both powered by Rovi.. So would that be possible in any way?? I'm thinking it won't be, but I thought I would ask first...

Thanks..
    05-15-14 10:28 PM
    you should be able to without issue
    05-15-14 10:38 PM
    I don't think you can copy it and play it... you'll need to look in the Video Store on the Z10 and see if the movie show up (both devices on the same BBID?). The copy protection on the ROVIO movies is going to require some type of authorization that says the Z10 is authorized to play the movie.

Let us know if it works...
    05-16-14 07:26 AM
    I believe scalemaster may very well be correct.

In the last six months (I believe) there was a thread on this forum about the files created on one's Playbook when one downloads a movie from the Rovio Video Store. One large file is created and at least one additional much smaller file (and maybe more) is created/amended in one or more separate folders each time one executes such a video store download. (I confirmed that months ago, but don't know if any additional files hidden to the file/folders apps I was using are also created.)

I don't know if anyone on these forums has figured out how these files interact and whether moving corresponding files from one Playbook to another (without doing a full backup) or from a Playbook to a Blackberry phone (which would have a different pertinent folder structure than the originating Playbook) can lead to a result whereby one can play Rovio videos downloaded to a Playbook on a Blackberry phone.
    05-16-14 08:06 AM
    Sorry,but you can only watch he movie on the device it was purchased on.

I tried and it would not play.

Z10 on Telus
    05-16-14 08:11 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys... I figured it probably wouldn't.. If the Playbook's video store was actually connected to our Blackberry ID some kind of way, then I'm sure it would work. But with the Playbook Video Store, I think you have to register for an account w/ Rovio and it's not related to your Blackberry ID in any way. Although @treaker has already tried it, I'm going to also try it anyway with a 99 cent movie and try to play around with it. I'm wondering if Rovio has a website where you can purchase/download/view movies..?
    05-16-14 08:26 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys... I figured it probably wouldn't.. If the Playbook's video store was actually connected to our Blackberry ID some kind of way, then I'm sure it would work. But with the Playbook Video Store, I think you have to register for an account w/ Rovio and it's not related to your Blackberry ID in any way. Although @treaker has already tried it, I'm going to also try it anyway with a 99 cent movie and try to play around with it. I'm wondering if Rovio has a website where you can purchase/download/view movies..?
    I tried to get the information regarding the relationship between the DRM licensing (look for DRM folders on the device) and the actual movie file from Rovio for backup purposes. It is known that you do need these two pieces to get the movie to play and they are on the device that the movie was downloaded on. You can temporarily store the large movie file (.ismv) off of the device but you have to bring it back to play. If you wipe the device (without backup) and bring the movie back, it will not play and you have to d/l again (you get 5 d/l with purchase).If you restore a backup, it will play. They would not tell me because that is the way they keep people from copying and distributing the movies. This was when the phone number worked and they provided a little support. Now there is no support.

I would think it could be done if we knew how it worked or with enough experimentation. Either that or the file structure/architecture of BB10 vs OS2.1 might be incompatible.
    05-16-14 10:36 AM
    I tried to get the information regarding the relationship between the DRM licensing (look for DRM folders on the device) and the actual movie file from Rovio for backup purposes. It is known that you do need these two pieces to get the movie to play and they are on the device that the movie was downloaded on. You can temporarily store the large movie file (.ismv) off of the device but you have to bring it back to play. If you wipe the device (without backup) and bring the movie back, it will not play and you have to d/l again (you get 5 d/l with purchase).If you restore a backup, it will play. They would not tell me because that is the way they keep people from copying and distributing the movies. This was when the phone number worked and they provided a little support. Now there is no support.

I would think it could be done if we knew how it worked or with enough experimentation. Either that or the file structure/architecture of BB10 vs OS2.1 might be incompatible.
    Ok thanks, that's makes perfect sense.. Perhaps maybe there's a way where we could move that DRM folder to a BB10 device also. It does say you can download a movie on up to 5 devices, so there should be some type of way this can be done. I'll experiment with it today and see how it goes. Thanks again!
    Last edited by iz_26; 05-16-14 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Typo
    05-16-14 11:43 AM
    Ok thanks, that's makes perfect sense.. Perhaps maybe there's a way where we could move that DRM folder to a BB10 device also. It does say you can download a movie on up to 5 devices, so there should be some type of way this can be done. I'll experiment with it today and see how it goes. Thanks again!
    Yes, but remember only PBs can access the Video Store and only BB10 can access the BBRY World Video section. So maybe they are incompatible?
    05-16-14 12:43 PM
    Yes, but remember only PBs can access the Video Store and only BB10 can access the BBRY World Video section. So maybe they are incompatible?
    O yea.. Good point.. That probably will be the case. Rovi should have a way of making this work, but apparently not.. But I'll test it out since the movie I'm purchasing is just 99 cents..
    05-16-14 01:02 PM
    Having used iTunes and Amazon.... the ROVIO solution that BlackBerry choose to use is very unfriendly.

The way I look at it is those $.99 movies are just a long term rental for the one device I downloaded them one. I would NEVER purchase a full priced movie from BlackBerry World!

I hope at some future time... that some of the "content" available in BBW will be accessible via LINK as well as any other BlackBerry device.
    05-16-14 01:11 PM
    Having used iTunes and Amazon.... the ROVIO solution that BlackBerry choose to use is very unfriendly.

The way I look at it is those $.99 movies are just a long term rental for the one device I downloaded them one. I would NEVER purchase a full priced movie from BlackBerry World!

I hope at some future time... that some of the "content" available in BBW will be accessible via LINK as well as any other BlackBerry device.
    Yeah I definitely agree with you.. Blackberry has a lot of ground to cover in this area.. Really, though, I'm thinking all they would have to do is make media purchases available through Blackberry App World for the Playbook also and that way it would all be linked through your Blackberry ID. This is something that they should implemented in App World for the Playbooks whenever they BB10 phones were released and the option to purchase movies, music, etc became available. A tablet is obvioius a bigger device and would be more favorable for viewing movies, so I thought that would be a no brainer.. But with the Playbook no longer being supported, we'll probably never see this happen.

But yes I like that idea of making the content available via LINK. That would simplify things. Or they could at least make a Blackberry App World application for MAC and PC..
    05-16-14 01:53 PM
    I guess you have to remember the history of the PB. The Video Store was an afterthought, I think to make up for the fact that Netflix was unavailable for the PB. They gave one movie away for free, Sherlock Holmes I think, to introduce it. By the time BB10 came out, Heins already reneged that BB10 wouldn't be on the PB. So no incentive for Rovio to change the way they delivered PB content. I'd rather buy the digital copy, as that comes in a popular format that you can play on different devices. The format that Rovio uses can't be converted and you are stuck playing it on a BBRY device. I was hoping that the last PB update would unify BBRY World but I guess it only tried to solve a payment problem people were having.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    05-16-14 04:51 PM
    I guess you have to remember the history of the PB. The Video Store was an afterthought, I think to make up for the fact that Netflix was unavailable for the PB. They gave one movie away for free, Sherlock Holmes I think, to introduce it. By the time BB10 came out, Heins already reneged that BB10 wouldn't be on the PB. So no incentive for Rovio to change the way they delivered PB content. I'd rather buy the digital copy, as that comes in a popular format that you can play on different devices. The format that Rovio uses can't be converted and you are stuck playing it on a BBRY device. I was hoping that the last PB update would unify BBRY World but I guess it only tried to solve a payment problem people were having.
    O ok I see. That explains it and sums it up pretty well. I never really buy movies, but I have rented one on my Z10 before and it worked pretty well. Watched it on a TV via HDMI. But for the future, I'll definitely look into buying the digital copies as well since it seems to offer more flexibility as far as what devices content can be viewed on. Thanks for the insight!

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 06:10 PM
    Keep in mind that I don't think any of the digital copies work with the Blackberry devices. The exception being that Ultra Violet will stream the movies, I assume using flash, but you cannot download them, so it only works if you have an internet connection.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 07:12 AM