Office Depot is also carrying and has more of a promo. Release date is given as 6/26/2013. The Bluetooth keyboard is listed as in stock at $79.99.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Rb1opDg9

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=1uVM82EQ

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Last edited by jpash549; 06-22-13 at 03:59 AM.
    06-22-13 03:46 AM
    They are advertising the tablet in Amazon and it showed up on my local Staples flier but it was not in the local store. The ad said not available in all stores and it was not shown in the online store. The tablet can also be seen on the Acer web site with some specs and description but an odd lack of promo material. No videos there. The cool keyboard can be seen on several You Tube videos but can't be found on the Acer site. A writeup in one of the British reviews indicated it would be available for about $80 US as converted from euros.

Of course if the touted Haswell revision to the Atom line comes through in the fall it may increase speed and reduce power consumption significantly. But maybe at a higher price.

Has anyone actually seen one of these in a store? Looks like it really isn't shipping yet. Talk about RIM running a crummy promo campaign.

Yes, just now I went around to a few of the BUY NOW sites - not available. One says June 26th but most say "x weeks." And as I wrote, one review site I read last week hinted that there would be changes to the keyboard concept???? I, too, would like to see it. I did look at the HP xxxx a few weeks ago. But was surprised when the keyboard could ONLY be used when attached and not as a detachable bt keyboard. Same for the MS Surface - needs to be physically connected. I believe that separate bt keyboards probably would work but are not designed as a "mate" to these tablet units.

Just saw your 2nd reply. Won't let me change to my zipcode to see if keyboard is available.
    06-22-13 08:12 AM
    If Acer changes the keyboard concept to eliminate the storing of the tab on the bottom side that would be a huge error. Maybe Apple has already patented such a feature. This packaging would be of great advantage to road warriors because otherwise the tab and keyboard are two separate items to encase for travel. Samsung has a ten inch design the Ativ tab3 coming out soon. Windows RT is apparently dying. Suppose it would be highly desirable to get 64 GB because Windows Pro requires so much storage.

Just checked my local stores and they report one in stock. Also in the KB description it says tablet can be stored in keyboard.

Inch design Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-22-13 12:05 PM
    Definitely want to see it in person. But I'm also pretty interested. A slew of programs would presumably run?
    06-22-13 06:35 PM
    Any tablet can share a data plan with your phone by tethering or hotspot the only benefit to having bridge is if you have a pb and a bb7 device, and want to bridge email/contacts/calendar/bbm
    Not any can here unless your paying more to do it or have a work around.
    06-22-13 06:48 PM
    Definitely want to see it in person. But I'm also pretty interested. A slew of programs would presumably run?
    It is 32 bit OS so should presumably run any programs that would run on Windows 8 and don't require 64 bit. Don't know anything about Windows 8 since I am on Win 7. It won't run heavy lifting programs very well because the processor is weak compared to the Intel i5 in the Microsoft Surface Pro.

Acer also has the W510 which is very similar but 10 inch. Maybe comments on that would help. The keyboard arrangement on the A510 is different so bear that in mind. Apparently both machines do not use the micro USB port for charging but have a standard laptop plugin. Sounds good to me.

06-22-13 07:07 PM
    It is 32 bit OS so should presumably run any programs that would run on Windows 8 and don't require 64 bit. Don't know anything about Windows 8 since I am on Win 7. It won't run heavy lifting programs very well because the processor is weak compared to the Intel i5 in the Microsoft Surface Pro.

Acer also has the W510 which is very similar but 10 inch. Maybe comments on that would help. The keyboard arrangement on the A510 is different so bear that in mind. Apparently both machines do not use the micro USB port for charging but have a standard laptop plugin. Sounds good to me.

I think I prefer the pb's size so not looking for 10 incher. Maybe I should just order the darn thing and return it if I don't like it!
    06-22-13 07:45 PM
    I think I prefer the pb's size so not looking for 10 incher. Maybe I should just order the darn thing and return it if I don't like it!
    Good idea-then we will a good review from a knowledgeable person. You can use some of that rebate money from Washington State on your solar power. BTW did you say you were still running Windows Vista? Win 8 might be the first problem. Where is S_O _M?

sad_old_man likes this.
    06-22-13 08:35 PM
    Good idea-then we will a good review from a knowledgeable person. You can use some of that rebate money from Washington State on your solar power. BTW did you say you were still running Windows Vista? Win 8 might be the first problem. Where is S_O _M?

Yup. Vista 64 Home Premium. I'm sure that Win8 will be a b1tch! I will try opting back to a Desktop and Start button.

I did notice one proviso - apparently, the tablet can only show ONE window at a time - making it hard to jump between two nearby windows - you know for drag/drop type stuff between folders, stuff like that.
    06-22-13 09:34 PM
    The one-window thing is only for Win8 Metro apps, which always run full screen. I've heard about being able to tile two Metro apps together but you can forget about drag-drop, that's not part of the Metro UI vocabulary.

The good thing about the Iconia W3 is that it can also run Windows desktop apps with the full desktop treatment. Anything from WinXP onwards should run, although on such a small screen and without a stylus, it could be painful to use.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-22-13 11:29 PM
    As with the Playbook you can use HDMI to hook to a larger monitor such as a TV or other monitor for better viewing. With both tablets you can have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

You can use a stylus on any tablet for poking the screen and drawing lines. Suppose that the Samsung Note stylus has additional versatility.

sad_old_man likes this.
    06-23-13 02:34 AM
    The one-window thing is only for Win8 Metro apps, which always run full screen. I've heard about being able to tile two Metro apps together but you can forget about drag-drop, that's not part of the Metro UI vocabulary.

The good thing about the Iconia W3 is that it can also run Windows desktop apps with the full desktop treatment. Anything from WinXP onwards should run, although on such a small screen and without a stylus, it could be painful to use.
    I guess I do have a question although it probably should be directed to the manufacturers: Why the limited stylus input on some many of these tablets? Extra expense for the "digitizer" (or whatever the screen layer is called)?
    06-23-13 08:08 AM
    I guess I do have a question although it probably should be directed to the manufacturers: Why the limited stylus input on some many of these tablets? Extra expense for the "digitizer" (or whatever the screen layer is called)?
    Possibly patents and licensing. Samsung is tied in with Wacom.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/31/s...com-strikes-m/
    06-23-13 01:43 PM
    Licensing and cost, I guess. Samsung uses Wacom while Sony, Lenovo etc. use N-trig. Wacom passive digitizers are supposedly more sensitive, whereas N-trig is cheaper but needs batteries on the pen and isn't as sensitive.

I've been using an N-trig-equipped Lenovo tablet and I don't have any problems with it. The pen is a bit noisy when writing on the screen, there's a loud click when it first touches the surface.

You can use a capacitive stylus for tablets without digitizers. I use a cheap rubber tipped stylus for my Playbook but the sensitivity is hopeless, like drawing with a blunt crayon... good enough for drunken scribbles but not much else. If you want to take notes and draw with a tablet, you need one with a digitizer.
    06-23-13 07:02 PM
    I'd be careful about getting a tab with a digitizer/stylus unless you really need one. I have the Note 2, and liked the S Pen so much I got the Note 10.1 tab. Then I realized I was almost never going to use the S Pen on it -- unlike the Note 2, which was always with me when I wanted to take some notes, the Note 10.1 never was -- it was at home. So I returned it and got the Nexus 10. If you are a student and are going to take it with you for taking notes in class, or if you have some profession-specific reason for it, sure. But otherwise, you're throwing away an extra $100 or so.
    06-24-13 07:28 AM
    Yup. Vista 64 Home Premium. I'm sure that Win8 will be a b1tch! I will try opting back to a Desktop and Start button.

I did notice one proviso - apparently, the tablet can only show ONE window at a time - making it hard to jump between two nearby windows - you know for drag/drop type stuff between folders, stuff like that.
    I don't have a problem with Win 8 and the active tiles on the Modern/Metro interface are kinda neat if you give them a chance. There is going to be a free update 8.1 that will bring back the Start button on the desktop later this year (haha heard that one before?) due to popular demand.
    06-24-13 08:36 AM
    I don't have a problem with Win 8 and the active tiles on the Modern/Metro interface are kinda neat if you give them a chance. There is going to be a free update 8.1 that will bring back the Start button on the desktop later this year (haha heard that one before?) due to popular demand.
    From what I read it isn't the start button everyone wants. Right now I use startisback. 3 bucks but worth it.
    06-24-13 09:12 AM
    Oh, yeah, SOON. I've heard that before but don't recall where since "soon" was mentioned so long ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-24-13 09:42 AM
    Oh, yeah, SOON. I've heard that before but don't recall where since "soon" was mentioned so long ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But, but I thought BlackBerry patented "later this year", "coming soon" , "soon" , "in a few weeks", "at the end of first quater"?
    06-24-13 11:07 AM
    But, but I thought BlackBerry patented "later this year", "coming soon" , "soon" , "in a few weeks", "at the end of first quater"?
    If they did patent/copyright those phrases, they could be in for some real profits, finally.
    bluenote likes this.
    06-24-13 11:46 AM
    BlackBerry don't mind using "soon", "later this year", "in a few weeks" on hapless, gullible users, but try that stunt on major shareholders. I assume they would know if BB10 is coming to PB or not.
    sad_old_man and Sergeant HCR like this.
    06-24-13 12:01 PM
    I did the same tired of waiting get rid of bb phone and playook and got iphone and ipad best move I ever did !
    06-25-13 03:19 PM
72 123