I didn't know there was a way but I did see paid apps on Blackberry World that claim to access Skydrive but my experience with these third party apps are sub-par. Plus, why would I pay for such an app when its free on other devices by the provider, ie, Microsoft in this case.

For people complaining about too many updates for Android apps, I have to LOL because this whole forum is complaining about a lack of updates for the PB. And I admit, I complained about the lack of IS updates too. But I can say I never complained about too many updates.

As for the whole BB Bridge thing...I did use Bridge with my work BB phone. I even found that sluggish at times plus the BT keyboard wasn't always responsive. But the company I am working for is slowing moving to BYOD. I'll eventually get Good installed on either the S3 or N8.

I can also tether to my S3 for free here in Canada.
    I suppose if you use the device regularly or leave the wifi on all the time, the updates might come 3-5 at a time. LOL. But if the device has no wifi for 3-5 days, be prepared for an update onslaught. I've had 15-20 apps update themselves at one time. Each one generating a "downloading/installing" notification and "update complete" notification that needed to be cleared. So you say, manually update them then. I do that for my phone just because I can't even make a call when they are updating and you still get notifications. At least with JB, you can swipe the notifications off. If you like that sort of thing, you will def like android.
    06-17-13 11:01 AM
    Nice I'm thinking of getting the note 8 as well to replace my well served PlayBook s.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    If I did replace my Playbook that would probably be my choice as well. I have the Note 10.1 and it's quite nice (and rooted ). That said, for a portable tablet, I still prefer the OS on the PlayBook. Especially in the car mounted to the dash. The swiping gestures of the PlayBook are so easy to use in the car vs finding small Home/multitasking soft buttons that are on Android.
    talondry and kbz1960 like this.
    06-17-13 01:08 PM
    Yeah at this point in time, with the age of the PlayBook and lack of updates, there are certainly better tablets.

Unless you are bridging with a BlackBerry to use its data -- which is something only the PlayBook can do.
    The only issue with the bridging is that nearly all phones now have wifi hotspot as an option and, coupled with the fact that many of us have been forced off our unlimited data plans, bridging to a berry is no longer the attractive feature it use to be.

Another issue is that the bridge has regressed with bb10. Features I patiently waited for that finally came, like sms texting on the playbook, are gone again. Bridging to the z10 is now more bare bones than when the tablet first came out.

And im still waiting on skype and kindle (I do not sideload pkus I hear that alternative is buggy). When even kid's handheld gaming consoles get skype and this "first business grade tablet" doesnt, you start to view the Playbook as the Edsel of tablets (for those who know what the Edsel was).
    06-19-13 05:35 AM
    If you just "had" to share this as you say, there is a proper place for it, as you probably knew. But just in case, here it is : http://forums.crackberry.com/general...t-here-260887/
    Yet you have replied twice to this thread, so you must have found some value to it or you would have just ignored it and moved on.
    I really wish people would stop doing this. All BlackBerry has said is that the PlayBook will get BlackBerry 10 in 2013. They haven't broken any promises and 2013 is not half done yet. Get the reasons for leaving (and agree with them) but let's fuel the fire with turning a rumour into a fact.
    RIM/BlackBerry broke promises with the PB from day one, don't get me wrong I bought 4 or 5 of them and still have one, but they did promise updates and features that did not come in the past, not saying that what is happening now and I really hope to see it soon.
    BlackBerry 10 went gold and was released in late January 2013. Not sure where the "year old" comes from.

Not as frequently as some would have liked but they've done a bunch

Version 1.0.1
    Version 1.0.3
    Version 1.0.5
    Version 1.0.6
    Version 1.0.7
    Version 1.0.8
    Version 2.0
    Version 2.0.1
    Version 2.1.0 (Current)
    Bb10 may not have been officially released on a device available to the general public but it has been around and a few people were even able to load it on a PB as early as last summer, but if they do not get bb10 for PB soon, it will be a 2.5+ year old device with 1 year old software even by your calendar.
    Sergeant HCR and JeepBB like this.
    06-19-13 06:46 AM
    By the time we get it it will be a year old.
    06-19-13 04:38 PM
    I find your optimism depressing
    06-20-13 07:32 AM
    Note 8 is a mobile phone.
    A bit bulky but still a phone .

Nexus is just a tablet.
    In the US, the Note 8 is just a tablet, too. It's the international version that has 3G phone capability. I'd like to see someone answer a call on that thing when their BT headset is not handy.
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    06-20-13 07:54 AM
    ^^Well, they can use typical headphone with speaker than can be connected thru cord... or if you are in private room, you can use phone speaker - which is more convenient...

For having a phablet or an 8" tablet (or phone), it's only logic for the owner to invest on something that he/she wouldn't look silly and funny when using it as a normal phone...

Posted via Z10
    06-20-13 09:30 AM
    Haha. Just the opposite. My Nexus 7 sits for weeks. Then I get hit with every app having to update. That is really annoying.
    I have a TouchPad with CM7 on it. It's barely used, and whenever I pick it up, all sorts of app updates. At least we know Android devs are constantly updating their stuff.
    06-20-13 09:45 AM
    I have a TouchPad with CM7 on it. It's barely used, and whenever I pick it up, all sorts of app updates. At least we know Android devs are constantly updating their stuff.
    Yeah, they do seem to update. But what? When I get an app crash (e.g. blahblah is not responding, wait, report, or close?), when I report and the app is updated, the issue is hardly ever fixed. So are android apps just that buggy? Bad developers?
    06-20-13 10:45 AM
    Any tablet can share a data plan with your phone by tethering or hotspot the only benefit to having bridge is if you have a pb and a bb7 device, and want to bridge email/contacts/calendar/bbm
    Can any tablet do that without incurring extra cost?
    06-20-13 11:54 AM
    Can any tablet do that without incurring extra cost?
    I am with Telus here in Canada and I can set up my GS3 as a hotpot and connect anything to it without extra charges, only it will use my 1GB of data per month faster and eat my battery.

I also concur with an above post on the Note 8. The 3G version is available in Europe but there are a select few NA vendors that sell unlocked versions. That model is GT-n5100. There is apparently a 5105 model that is LTE but can't find anyone selling that one online.

As for the Playbook, I can't see RIM continuing support for the PB given its almost 2 years old, and they discounted so many for crazy low prices. It will cost them money (probably more money than they made on the PB) to support it and develop a final BB10 for it. Its regular price of $400+ would have helped pay for that long-term support. Its likely that those of us who got a PB at a discount helped offset the cost to make them plus help pay for the development of their new BB10 phones. Equals no money for PB support.
    06-21-13 09:43 AM
    Nice I'm thinking of getting the note 8 as well to replace my well served PlayBook s.
    Do it MedicEms. The Note 8 is a great device and has proven to be a very productive tool at work and at home. Pricey compared to non-stylus tablets but still less than I paid for my playbook on launch day.
    pinkert11 likes this.
    06-21-13 09:50 AM
    I am close to doing the same. Purchased the galaxy note 8 for my daughter for her birthday. Wow, it simply runs circles around the playbook. The OP is fast, internet screams and the unit is just simply nice all around. They only thing that may keep me on the playbook is symmetry across devices but as it looks like RIM is not going to update the Playbook to OS10 and they are simply going to let it die I think I will be moving on. It is a shame as I like the playbook and I love the Z10 (which I am keeping), but I simply find it inexcusable that Blackberry talked for months on how the Playbook would get OS10 and it simply is not happening. Now, new apps have dried up, updates are drying up and only the odd new game hits the PB and of course if you had bought for the Z10 well you get to purchase again as the OS is different on the PB.
    I had purchased 5 playbooks, two for my kids, one for my mother in-law, brother and one for myself. I am the last one using it. The two for kids moved to Great Aunts and they don't want apps, simply email, facebook and google. I know in a couple of years when my eldest is old enough she will want an android phone as this will be her eco system. Blackberry really messed up here and dropped the ball.
    dphjeff and FF22 like this.
    06-21-13 10:09 AM
    Don't close the door behind you as I fear thousands will follow.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-21-13 10:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well, it is inevitable. If rim/bbry does not create a new tablet, even if they do bring bb10 to the current model, eventually folks will move on to other platforms if they want standalone tablets. Also as the hardware wears out and newer bb10 updates really won't fit on the pb there will be no bb choice.
    06-21-13 11:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    There's thousands of Playbooks still in use?!
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    06-21-13 02:41 PM
    There's thousands of Playbooks still in use?!
    I'm in it for 2!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 via the CB Forums App
    06-21-13 09:25 PM
    I am close to doing the same. Purchased the galaxy note 8 for my daughter for her birthday. Wow, it simply runs circles around the playbook. The OP is fast, internet screams and the unit is just simply nice all around.
    Could you share some of your findings on how the Note 8 does the following:

- Opening and editing Word/Excel/Powerpoint files, PDF files
    - Working on flowcharts
    - Editing images
    - Full VPN support
    - Stylus support: which default apps come with it, can you use Quill on it?
    - HDMI support: via a MHL adapter?
    - Viewing and sharing DLNA content
    - USB host support to read thumb drives, camera cards directly
    - VPN support for L2TP, IPSEC, OpenVPN

I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship I intend to use the tablet to replace my laptop when I go on short business trips.
    06-21-13 09:34 PM
    People who want a work tablet which runs word and excel and other windows programs might want to look at the Acer Iconia W3. It runs windows 8 pro not rt. This is an 8.1 inch tablet which has an accessory bluetooth keyboard. It has the Atom cpu and 2GB of RAM. Not real light at about 500 grams but seems to be well equipped with ports. The keyboard is essentially full sized and has a cut out in the back into which the tablet fits for transportation purposes. Some really neat looking ideas in my view.
    06-21-13 09:48 PM
    People who want a work tablet which runs word and excel and other windows programs might want to look at the Acer Iconia W3. It runs windows 8 pro not rt. This is an 8.1 inch tablet which has an accessory bluetooth keyboard. It has the Atom cpu and 2GB of RAM. Not real light at about 500 grams but seems to be well equipped with ports. The keyboard is essentially full sized and has a cut out in the back into which the tablet fits for transportation purposes. Some really neat looking ideas in my view.
    Is this released yet? Last I looked, a week ago, I could not even find it mentioned on the Acer site. And one review seems to have indicated that they abandoned that keyboard concept???
    06-21-13 11:23 PM
    Acer | Iconia W3

Amazon.com: Acer Iconia W3-810-1600 8.1-Inch 32 GB Tablet (Silver): Computers & Accessories

Is this released yet? Last I looked, a week ago, I could not even find it mentioned on the Acer site. And one review seems to have indicated that they abandoned that keyboard concept???
    I actually just looked it up and it does in fact exist. I also found it on amazon. But there it was a 3 week wait.

(Sorry for the extra unedited pic. I can't figure out how to delete that one.)

Attached Thumbnails Moved on from Playbook-2013-06-22-00-29-05.jpg   Moved on from Playbook-2013-06-22-00-27-01.jpg   Moved on from Playbook-2013-06-22-00-31-22.jpg  
    06-21-13 11:25 PM
    Acer | Iconia W3

I actually just looked it up and it does in fact exist. I also found it on amazon. But there it was a 3 week wait.

(Sorry for the extra unedited pic. I can't figure out how to delete that one.)

Thanks. I do have the Amazon site bookmarked and noted their delay.
    06-22-13 12:21 AM
    Thanks. I do have the Amazon site bookmarked and noted their delay.
    Not a problem. I am somewhat interested in playing with this one to see if it's worth a damn.

Sent from My BlackBerry PlayBook via the CB forums app.
    06-22-13 12:31 AM
    They are advertising the tablet in Amazon and it showed up on my local Staples flier but it was not in the local store. The ad said not available in all stores and it was not shown in the online store. The tablet can also be seen on the Acer web site with some specs and description but an odd lack of promo material. No videos there. The cool keyboard can be seen on several You Tube videos but can't be found on the Acer site. A writeup in one of the British reviews indicated it would be available for about $80 US as converted from euros.

Of course if the touted Haswell revision to the Atom line comes through in the fall it may increase speed and reduce power consumption significantly. But maybe at a higher price.

Has anyone actually seen one of these in a store? Looks like it really isn't shipping yet. Talk about RIM running a crummy promo campaign.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-22-13 03:10 AM
72 123