Hi everyone! Just wanted to share with you guys MY way of mounting a PlayBook on a car. I uploaded a picture of the original radio of my BMW and the transformation I did with the PlayBook. The volume can be controlled using a RCA I/O volume control http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!B2PRLCQCGk~...i)KVg~~_35.JPG. The PlayBook's panel it's moved by a Miniature Linear Actuator ( L12 12V 50mm 100:1 PLC/RC Miniature Linear Actuator - RobotShop )
    Here's a video of the panel working

Hope you like it!
    f1mx, perry34, AggreX and 8 others like this.
    01-10-12 03:26 PM
    What year is your E34? I have a '95 E36 and was wondering how it would look in it. Yours looks pretty nice.
    01-10-12 03:39 PM
    What year is your E34? I have a '95 E36 and was wondering how it would look in it. Yours looks pretty nice.
    '90. Thanks!
    01-10-12 03:40 PM
    Very nice. I have a feeling I will end up doing this in my Ram Truck sooner or later.
    01-10-12 04:04 PM
    looks damn good. very nice job.
    DrBerko likes this.
    01-10-12 05:44 PM
    You had to move the HVAC contronls too? That's no small task. Good job.
    The PB is the same size as my Audi Nav. I'm hoping for an easier install when(not if) my factory nav fails.
    01-10-12 05:54 PM
    WOW, looks GOOD. Nice job....how long did it take from start to finish
    kevin.mcca likes this.
    01-10-12 05:59 PM
    haven't seen the video yet, but the photos look pretty good. Very clean install
    kevin.mcca likes this.
    01-10-12 06:19 PM
    Now if only your PlayBook had constant 4G connectivity....
    01-10-12 09:08 PM
    mind if i ask you a couple of questions?
    ive been wanting to do this on my 1989 allante for a while now, id probably incorporate the bluetooth stereo gateway but thats besides the point.

how exactly did you route the audio? was it playbook headphonejack>rca io>amp or was the original hu hidden in there somewhere?

also, did you set the pb volume to 100%?

lastly, what did you use for the "panel"
    01-10-12 10:27 PM
    VERY nice.
    kevin.mcca likes this.
    01-10-12 10:51 PM
    That's awesome!! I was thinking it was just a slap on, but you went all out eh. Good job!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    kevin.mcca likes this.
    01-10-12 11:10 PM
    You had to move the HVAC contronls too? That's no small task. Good job.
    The PB is the same size as my Audi Nav. I'm hoping for an easier install when(not if) my factory nav fails.
    Yeah I used the same housing it had originally, but I had to cut some divisions to make it fit down there.
    01-11-12 12:19 AM
    how exactly did you route the audio? was it playbook headphonejack>rca io>amp or was the original hu hidden in there somewhere?

also, did you set the pb volume to 100%?

lastly, what did you use for the "panel"
    1. Yes Headphone Jack>RCA I/O>AMP.

2. And yes you set the PB volume to 100%

3. I use stainless steel sheet and some automotive putty. Also the Miniature Linear Actuator, a 3-phase switch, two relays, two microswitch to stop the Linear Actuator before it gets to the limit.
    01-11-12 12:28 AM
    Nice. 10 chars of niceness.
    kevin.mcca likes this.
    01-11-12 12:31 AM
    That's nice!
    kevin.mcca likes this.
    01-11-12 12:34 AM
    nice and clean installation!

as from a BMW [E39] owner to another and also a PlayBook user, again that's
    Last edited by B_Berry; 01-11-12 at 03:14 PM.
    kevin.mcca likes this.
    01-11-12 02:34 PM
    1. Yes Headphone Jack>RCA I/O>AMP.

2. And yes you set the PB volume to 100%

3. I use stainless steel sheet and some automotive putty. Also the Miniature Linear Actuator, a 3-phase switch, two relays, two microswitch to stop the Linear Actuator before it gets to the limit.

Kevin, in the future do you plan to have a constant power/USB charger to the cig-lighter or an DC/AC inverter w/ a 120 volts rapid charger? I know that the micro USB port/rapid charger is not really on the best spot on PB, but I'm wondering if you tilt the mounting on a slight angle then you'll have the access, but another thing it may not be a good idea if you hit some bumps on the road while driving and making the PB slip out?
    01-11-12 03:24 PM
    Kevin, in the future do you plan to have a constant power/USB charger to the cig-lighter or an DC/AC inverter w/ a 120 volts rapid charger? I know that the micro USB port/rapid charger is not really on the best spot on PB, but I'm wondering if you tilt the mounting on a slight angle then you'll have the access, but another thing it may not be a good idea if you hit some bumps on the road while driving and making the PB slip out?
    Of course! but I will have to redesign the housing and make it cooler but instead of using the headphone jack I was thinking if I could use the micro HDMI for audio, the problem is I don't know the connection to make if someone could help me!
    01-11-12 04:07 PM
    WOW, looks GOOD. Nice job....how long did it take from start to finish
    I would say about 2 weeks if you're working constantly on it.
    01-11-12 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD