BGR

Well, its official for best buy posted there at Boy Genius Report.. And I don't know about you guys but when I see that $799 and one month broadband service requires listed there I almost laugh.

It shows the official release date is Feb. 24; most of you guys know I chastized RIM for saying thiers was first in this category and Motorola beat them to it- and others scoffed saying "No way Motorola will get in in February" along with "that's just a rumor, there has been nothing official yet"

But what does it matter how soon they get it out - $800+ yadda yadda = over a $900 tablet! Holy mother of God, they are really going to put that thing on the shelf for that price! You gotta wonder what knucklehead in their marketing division oversaw what a catastrophy that is; they excluded themselves from all but the higher income demographics and businesses... Which no doubt they will do well in that sector but enough to balance their loss of competitive edge due to pricing?

We'll see.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-11 05:15 AM
    Holy cow! I still wouldn't even buy that thing if was on sale 50% off.
    02-12-11 05:36 AM
    Holy cow! I still wouldn't even buy that thing if was on sale 50% off.

Let's not go crazy here. I'd snatch one up at $450

The HP touchpad looks like it'll be a bit more reasonable at $699. But if that's the starting price then that's the WiFi 16gb?? Maybe not that reasonable.
    02-12-11 05:43 AM
    You guys don't get it this are companies that have to start making money Motorola hasn't made money in years every quarter they lose money every quarter. Everyone wants dual core lte 4g hd camera this and that you can only give that stuff away for so long. See for a year or 2 motorola and other androids have been flooding the market with all this crap for almost free now they think they can charge more for it I don't think so they have shot them selves in the foot they have already set a price threshold now they have to live with it. If motorola has to sell this thing at 799 if they drop down to 500 they will lose there shirt same with the thunderbolt I saw. 249 with contract no way they can compete at that price and the probable is they can give it away for free anymore or they will start running out of cash it was there fault for throwing in all this stuff in there phones right away . Rim and apple do it in increments they are a company they need to make a profit
    02-12-11 06:59 AM
    I agree that, that is to much. I was thinking about it a little bit till I seen the price tag.
    02-12-11 07:10 AM
    Remember, too guys, $799 is the lowest price you will see. There will be outlets I bet that price it higher.

$799+tax+first month Verizon broadband = you can kiss my you-know-what.

02-12-11 08:44 AM
    �800 + 24 month contract at �30/mth for 2GB of data + 20% VAT = GTF Motorola!
    02-12-11 11:24 AM
    There is a wifi version coming soon so im not saying no yet. BUT this is a 4G and 32GB model so apples version is 729 and the xoom does alot more than the ipad will. it is sticker shock but only because there is NO other model yet. I am hoping the wifi model clocks in 699 or below but we will see. Since the PB doesnt have a SD card slot i will have to buy the 32gb model atleast as will many people cause 16GB isnt going to be enough. So the 499 tablet idea isnt going to be ideal for a good majority of us no matter what brand we go with
    02-12-11 11:29 AM
    Let's not go crazy here. I'd snatch one up at $450

The HP touchpad looks like it'll be a bit more reasonable at $699. But if that's the starting price then that's the WiFi 16gb?? Maybe not that reasonable.
    I would have to agree there...$450 would be a deal worth looking twice at.
    02-12-11 12:42 PM
    But what does it matter how soon they get it out - $800+ yadda yadda = over a $900 tablet!
    someones gotta pay for that superbowl advert, seems its the customers lol
    02-12-11 12:51 PM
    There is a wifi version coming soon so im not saying no yet. BUT this is a 4G and 32GB model so apples version is 729 and the xoom does alot more than the ipad will. it is sticker shock but only because there is NO other model yet. I am hoping the wifi model clocks in 699 or below but we will see. Since the PB doesnt have a SD card slot i will have to buy the 32gb model atleast as will many people cause 16GB isnt going to be enough. So the 499 tablet idea isnt going to be ideal for a good majority of us no matter what brand we go with
    16GB isn't enough for me. I have a 16GB iPod Touch and it's full.

$800 is still too much for a 32 GB tablet. I'm assuming the 32gb PlayBook will be $599, even that's a little on the high side.
    02-12-11 02:49 PM
    16GB isn't enough for me. I have a 16GB iPod Touch and it's full.

$800 is still too much for a 32 GB tablet. I'm assuming the 32gb PlayBook will be $599, even that's a little on the high side.
    What are we using as a comparison to say that $599 is too high? Off-contract prices for handsets are in the same ballpark, so it seems the pricing seems reasonable for a device that literally has twice the specs of a high-end phone.

02-12-11 03:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD