12-31-12 04:15 PM
35 12
tools
    Over the years I have had linksys, dlink, netgear, belkin probably others.

The one thing I've learned is to avoid the cheap bargain, off-brand stuff. With almost all of them, I've had to occasionally power them down, typically the linksys and dlink were more stable.

Up until my latest router, Cisco-Linksys E3000. It's a G/N dual band. I've had it almost a year and to date, haven't had to power it down. Not once.

Ironically, it's the first router I've owned that actually has a power switch. Basically every router without a power switch needed occasional power cycling, the one I do own that has a power switch never need to use it.
    ATMJOE likes this.
    01-22-12 12:30 PM
    I have a Netgear N300 . Is a b/g/n router and works great . Cost me $54 and i have connected my playbook my BB bold and my wife's iphone . I purchased the router from radioshack .
    01-22-12 01:58 PM
    For my main home router, I have the Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) wireless dual-band gigabit router and could not be happier with it. Fastest router I have ever tested and easy to setup and use. Love the 2 usb ports that can be used for printers, external hard drives, usb thumb drives, etc. to access them on the network.
    01-22-12 02:29 PM
    Try WPA only (not WPA2) and AES. Works (sort of) for my DIR-655. My router might be starting to fail (which I doubt) or the Playbook causes the router to lose connectivity to all devices and the Internet router and I have to reboot the router to get things working again (seems to be about once a day). Too bad Blackberry has been slow to release a reliable Wi-Fi driver for the PB. That's another nail in PB's coffin and quite possibly Blackberry's too.
    12-28-12 02:41 PM
    In the UK and we got 3 64Gb Playbooks in our house at Christmas. We have a Virgin Media Superhub 2, which is a rebadged Netgear CG3101D with custom VM firmware. No problems at all connecting the Playbooks on 2.4ghz and DHCP with WPA2-PSK (AES) security. Solid as a rock.
    12-28-12 04:11 PM
    Have used Linksys routers for years and have never had a problem with them.
    Currently using the E-4200 and it connects flawlessly with the PB.
    12-29-12 01:51 AM
    Obviously many answers to the OP's question. Since he does not say how big an area he wishes to cover, what his internet service speed is or whether he is more interested in internet or local transfer speed it is hard to help him. Others have mentioned good to excellent routers so I will mention two cheapy solutions. First is a ZyXEL MWR 102 Travel Router which costs $20 or so. I have been using this since June when a storm corrupted the software on my Netgear 2000. Through open air the ZyXEL works pretty well to 50ft but going through two or three walls it does drop off quite a bit. Sitting a few feet from it the signal is -36 dBm and the signal speed is 65. Mbps. Since I am on Comcast middle range internet and have internet service about 24 Mbps this is OK. Besides the Playbook I have two laptops one of which has a Connectify hot spot. If you have a Win 7 computer with a wi-fi card that can be split you can generate a hot spot which the playbook or other tablet will connect easily to. I have the Connectify laptop running off wi-fi but the hot spot would work if the laptop was plugged in with the cable to the modem. Since you can download Connectiy free you could have a router at no cost using just the desktop or laptop computer.
    12-29-12 03:19 AM
    Obviously many answers to the OP's question. Since he does not say how big an area he wishes to cover, what his internet service speed is or whether he is more interested in internet or local transfer speed it is hard to help him.
    Good point. I should have added that I use a D-Link DIR-615 router as an extender upstairs as the original Superhub 2 did not have very good wireless coverage. That was sorted with a firmware upgrade but I kep the extender "just in case".
    12-29-12 04:47 AM
    After a few weeks of hassles with my Playbook and my D-Link DIR-655 router (which is about five years old), I decided to upgrade to the latest firmware (1.35NA). So far, that seems to have made the misery go away and I can use WPA2, AES, Auto 20/40 bandwidth, and mixed G and N without crashing the router. Keeping fingers crossed but hopefully this is the fix. I read somewhere that pre-2009 firmware might cause problems between routers running Wireless N and the Playbook.
    12-29-12 11:58 AM
    I have this old wireless router DLink WBR-2310. I've never had any problems with it. I connect WinXP Win 7 and the tablet - all OK.
    12-31-12 04:15 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD