Hi, I've realized the playbook isnt the easiest tablet to connect on wi-fi.

So I would like to know which router is most compatible for the playbook and with what set-up.

Maybe you could be so kind to tell me how you have it set-up, how well it works, and which wi-fi router it is.

Thank you
    06-15-11 01:52 PM
    Hi, I've realized the playbook isnt the easiest tablet to connect on wi-fi.

So I would like to know which router is most compatible for the playbook and with what set-up.

Maybe you could be so kind to tell me how you have it set-up, how well it works, and which wi-fi router it is.

Thank you
    If you can see the WiFi AP but cannot connect, the issue can simply be buggy DHCP on the router. For that reason I always use STATIC IPs on my wireless devices in all cases where I know the subnet that is in use (home, work, etc.). Makes life a lot easier.
    xindy likes this.
    06-15-11 01:58 PM
    I've got a slightly older Linksys and it works fine - never really checked the speed but it connects to all of my various wifi-enabled devices including my 9650/Bold, Playbook, netbook, laptop, tivo, another computer and the occcasional guest with macbook.
    06-15-11 02:22 PM
    I've got a D-Link DIR-628 and i haven't had any problems whatsoever with my pb
    06-15-11 02:30 PM
    I've had no problems connecting to any wireless connection I've tried. Especially since the latest OS update.

If you ever have a problem with WIFI, turn off the Playbook's WIFI and then turn it back on.

I have a Linksys E2000 router at home.
    06-15-11 02:46 PM
    i have the DIR-655, worked since day 1 and the range on it is great, works all over my house, and if my computer is turned off while im upstairs, speedtest shows 15mpbs d/l on my playbook, pretty good IMO.
    06-15-11 02:48 PM
    i have a netgear N300 (DGN2200 model) running WPA2 and it works perfectly, also worked great with the thompson TG585 i had but that wasnt N specced so i swapped out for the netgear.
    kdeckels likes this.
    06-15-11 02:53 PM
    I am amazed every person who replied has had no problems! I have a D-Link 615 which was fine until I connected my PB. Now other devices on the network are having a few hiccups (though nothing like the PB, which is useless trying to use wi-fi).

Have you all used any special settings, etc.?
    06-17-11 01:29 AM
    I have the DIR-655 and had no problem connecting. The speed, however, is atrocious. I was hoping for at least "g" speeds on my "n" router, and I seem to hit a wall at 11mbps. File transfers get as low as ~5mbps. Still, I had no issues connecting or browsing the web.

I don't use any special settings or anything like that. The router provides DHCP and DNS and the WLAN is encrypted with WPA2. It's a very standard wireless router setup.
    06-17-11 02:17 AM
    I had a few issues setting my PB up on my Linksys router, turning the power off then back on, on the router solved that issue.
    06-17-11 02:20 AM
    I am amazed every person who replied has had no problems! I have a D-Link 615 which was fine until I connected my PB. Now other devices on the network are having a few hiccups (though nothing like the PB, which is useless trying to use wi-fi).

make sure all ur clients are using the same spec, mixed mode sometimes slows things down and causes problems. if u have a dual band router, use the 2.4 ghz one for pb and connect at N, and have the other clients use the 5 ghz band. thats what im doing. also, make sure ur dhcp client limit is correctly set, i.e. more than the number if connected clients. i had mine set to 4, and when i got the pb, i forgot to increase it, so i was having issues with one client not being to connect. if all fails, restore factory settings on the router and see how that works

i have a dlink dir-825 wth a dd-wrt firmware btw. things work fine, but lan transfer speeds are a bit low on the pb. i started a thread regarding the reported "data connected rate" by the playbook wifi info tool being very low, 24 mbps. my router itself reports a speed of anywhere between 11-54 mbps for the playbook.....no where near N spec. a G router is more than enough for the playbook at this point in time
    Last edited by uci2ci; 06-17-11 at 02:33 AM.
    06-17-11 02:23 AM
    I had problems with WPA2 and my solution was to create another SSID with WPA for PlayBook, router is a Fortinet FortiWifi.
    06-17-11 04:41 AM

I've also got a DIR 615 and have had problems. It comes and goes, so some days there are no problems, but sometimes it just will not work at all.

What happens is it will just drop connection. It won't auto reconnect, it will stay disconnected. If I try to reconnect it manually, it fails to get an IP. Turning wifi off and then on fixes it half the time, the rest of the time I'll have to delete the saved connection and reboot the PlayBook.

If I set a static IP it does no good. It'll work fine for a while, but then it'll crap out. The icon will stay green like its connected, but I'll have no internet access. Aside from static IPs, I've tried changing my SSID, changing from WPA2 to WPA, using WPS, changing the band, rebooting the router, changing from wireless N to G, nothing seems to actually fix it, it always does it again. Router is on the latest firmware too.

So you're not alone. Its irritating and soon enough I'm going to say screw it and buy a new router.
    06-17-11 06:01 AM
    My BlackBerry PlayBook connects wirelessly to both an older Linksys WRT-54G running DD-WRT, which is part of a 3-router WDS (all running on Linksys with DD-WRT), and a new Ericcson W-35 router and access point. Flawless performance in both cases. I enabled WPA/WPA2 on the routers for increased security. The Linksys connects to the Internet via cable modem while the Ericcson connects to a wireless carrier.
    06-17-11 06:12 AM
    Since posting in here earlier, I had decided to play with my DIR-655 more. I changed it from b/g/n to g/n and the reported speed went to 24mbps (which does not conform to any 802.11 standard). My actual file transfer rates to the playbook went to around 1.1MB/s (around 9-10 mbps). I will attempt n-only mode on my WAP, but that would be a disappointing workaround as N is still not a ratified standard and I have devices that don't support it.
    07-08-11 12:21 AM
    i also had a Linksys E2000 without issue. i used it on 2.4GHz and 5GHz and it connected fine.

i have moved to the Linksys E3200 since i needed both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz to broadcast simulataneous, but again, no problems.
    07-08-11 06:31 AM
    I had a DIR-615 as well and had nothing but problems. Probably because the 615 was only draft-N compatible.

I switched to the Linksys E2000 and all is good.
    07-08-11 07:32 AM
    I asked on the window7 forum back when I first got my laptop with wireless N about using both wireless g and n devices at the same time and this what I was told.

True that if you have both on and one is g... transfer will drop to g speeds. However when just the n system is on you will have n speed.

No matter what, I am willing to bet your bottleneck will will be your Internet connection... very few in the USA have broadband speeds that approach the 802.11g speed of 54mbps... even fewer have that near n speeds!

If you x-fer large amounts of data or stream between your 2 PC's... I'd upgrade from g to n... usb 802.11n on your g lappy!
    There is also some good info in this thread about speeds. Slow wireless file transfer speed - Windows 7 Forums
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-08-11 07:45 AM

I have a DIR-615 too. I installed DD-WRT on my router quite some time before I got my PB though and it's been rock solid the whole time. Not just with the PB but with everything. I'd definitely recommend it.
    07-08-11 11:17 AM
    I have a netgear 3700 as my primary wireless router in the basement but found it didn't read the 2nd floor very well. So I added my old lynksys wireless router as an access point. But I found that thplaybook wouldn't connect to it all the time. It seemed to me that it was an ip config issues as some devices would connect and then they wouldn't. I have iPad and I touches as well as blackberrys in this house competing for the 2nd floor lynksys router.

Many people had suggested the dhcp settings be turned off as the main router would manage the ip addresses. However I found that selecting a unique primary ip address for the access point and putting the range of ip addresses at the high end of the range didn't conflict with the primary netgear router. This seemed to fix the problem and the connections have disappeared.

I have 2xplaybooks
    1xipad
    4xitouches
    3xblackberry
    1xlaptop

All competing for wifi access.
    I only have my wired devices with dedicated ip addresses defined. All wireless I have on auto assign.
    01-22-12 07:23 AM
    I have a router question and did not find an answer in searching. I have a Netgear WND3300 router and did not have any problem setting up the Playbook. BTW, love the Playbook! I have Neflix and when Netflix streams the Playbook cannot connect to the WIFI. I just connect using the Bridge/BB phone as a workaround. Any suggestions?
    01-22-12 09:01 AM
    I have a router question and did not find an answer in searching. I have a Netgear WND3300 router and did not have any problem setting up the Playbook. BTW, love the Playbook! I have Neflix and when Netflix streams the Playbook cannot connect to the WIFI. I just connect using the Bridge/BB phone as a workaround. Any suggestions?
    Someone else may be able to provide specific guidance but I find when I'm streaming (okay, torrenting!), then other router and/or dsl modem stuff can definitely suffer as tons of data is moving (downloading) over the same connection. I would suspect that if you are downloading a movie, it might be taking up a lot of bandwidth.
    01-22-12 10:41 AM
    I use cisco e4200 and have never faced a problem.
    01-22-12 10:57 AM
    I have a linksys X2000, works flawlessly.
    01-22-12 11:00 AM
    No problem with my netgear N600.
    01-22-12 11:04 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD