I did not purchase the BlackBerry PlayBook to use as a toy. I bought the tablet with the intention of using it for serious applications such as professional and academic purposes with the occasional foray into recreational use such as watching movies, playing music, and a few games. Research In Motion advertised their tablet a the first "professional tablet." They purchase DataViz and then do nothing with DocsToGo applications to raise the level of professionalism. Come on man, where is the leadership in this company?
    While I do feel that we (the early adopters) got hosed, I acknowledge the Playbook was launched and developed prior to this transitional period that we are unfortunately in right now. As we are emerging from the transition, I think FINALLY the Playbook potential will be unlocked. Qt has been successfully ported and runs on the Playbook unmodified unlocking sooo many avenues for developers, Citrix receiver finally landed, NDK is nearing Public release (DevCon), Marmalade SDK can port nearly any app/game developed for iOS and Android to Playbook.... What I am really saying is that while I am just as frustrated as you, I think we are the victims of a very tumultuous period for RIM. RIM got themselves into this mess, and I hope they have finally made the necessary adjustments so we can move forward.

P.S. While I agree they could've done more with Docs2Go, it should be noted that RIM did not acquire DataViz, just some of its assets.
    DataViz Not Acquired By RIM Only Some Assets - BerryReview

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 07:57 PM
    Because this is supposed to be a business grade device. They have FIPS certification, but what are you going to protect without ties into corporate network, or even an address book. Lots of companies and Governments won't want to compose and store data in a "cloud" they don't control. Also, believe it or not, Wifi and cellular networks aren't everywhere. How useful is "the cloud" on a 13 hour flight to Japan with no wifi or cell coverage in the plane? They put gigabytes of storage on here for a reason.
    Dont get me wrong - the closest thing to cloud computing I use is Drop Box and have no plans of putting everything I have in the cloud. I understand not all but some companies do have email access via web portal. The school district I work for does via exchange and a few of my buddies that work for industry do also. But I do understand not all companies use exchange and web access.

I do agree with you that cloud does squat for you while on a plane but I dont believe that further enforces the native email argument. Microsoft office is a good example. The cloud based office programs work for some - not for others. It appears to me that everything is slowly starting to shift from local information access to remote access.
    09-16-11 08:29 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD