All:

Are there any tools for monitoring how much total data the PB is sending or receiving? I would also like to be able to see when PB is sending and receiving. Some up or down arrows like on the handsets would be nice.
    02-05-12 08:05 AM
    Well since it's a wifi tab the only data usage from you plan would be when using bridge. Since you can't separate what data was used by the phone and what data was used by the playbook while bridged I think it might be difficult to do.
    02-05-12 08:21 AM
    I think he meant to measure the data usage on pb using wifi.
    02-05-12 09:07 AM
    I think he meant to measure the data usage on pb using wifi.
    OH? I guess some people have limited wifi? Or just curious? I've never seen anyone worry about data usage on wifi for their laptop or desktop.
    02-05-12 09:14 AM
    Are you serious? I pay $10 a gigabyte for internet. Why do so many people assume that data is free. Not everyone has access to unlimited data or even cheap data or mom and dads wifi or the neighbours or someone elses wifi. Just trying to track my PBs usage.
    02-05-12 09:55 AM
    Yes I was serious. I've never even seen an internet package for my home that costs per gigabyte of usage. That is why I had a question mark. No data is not free but what I pay a month is unlimited so my bill is the same if I use 1kb of data or I use 50gb of data.

I have learned something but to answer your question.........does your ISP have a way to track usage since it is capped? I think they would unless they just like charging for overages.
    02-05-12 09:59 AM
    The tracking from Rogers is only for the total and overage is expensive. 6 total users and devices numbering over 15 once you count laptops, phones, computers, ipods, PB, androids, even the kids latest 3DS has wifi on it. I really need a way to track what everyone is using and to find a good tracking tool. The software built into the router is not overly friendly. I think I need to learn about SNMP or something.
    02-05-12 12:08 PM
    Yes I was serious. I've never even seen an internet package for my home that costs per gigabyte of usage.
    All of the major ISPs in Canada have usage caps. I switched last year from a cable company that had a cap of 25GB to Bell Canada which negotiated a deal with me for 60GB at a better price. There is no 60GB plan listed on their website. The standard plans have lower caps.

I'm also interested in measuring my bandwidth usage on the PlayBook. Between setting up the PlayBook and exploring podcasts and apps, plus a lot of watching YouTube and such on two computers in the house, we went over the 60GB at $2.50 a GB. I'm on a tight budget and my ISP bill coming now is going to be much higher than I had planned.
    02-05-12 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD