I bought a MyFi mobile hot spot from VZW for my playbook and it works really well. The hotspot can connect up to 5 devices. I put the Playbook up against my DSL at home and it beats the dsl on everything. The MiFi is 4G LTE. I have a 5 GB cap on the service for the data, I am thinking of ditching my DSL and just using the hotspot at home. I connected a laptop, a desktop and the Playbook all at the same time and it did not slow any of them down. My question is how much data is 5 GB. If I stream maybe 1 movie in HD to the PB how much does that use? Always being on a system that was unlimited I have no idea how much data I use. VZW was pretty vague on the answer. I love this mobile hotspot and the playbook, I can go anywhere in my area and have super fast Internet, but dont want to pay a huge data bill.
    05-13-11 12:00 PM
    Data usage is very subjective and varies from user to user. The best bet is to hold off on cutting the DSL for a month and see how much data you actually use on the MiFi. If you're close to the cap with dsl still at home, then you know it probably won't be cost effective.
    05-13-11 12:07 PM
    you can probably monitor your bandwidth usage by logging in to the router.
    05-13-11 12:12 PM
    If you've only got 5GB limit I'd definitely hold off on disconnecting your DSL line...

If you think about how much information is transmitted in HD video you could be looking at anywhere between 1GB and 3GB for a HD movie. Never mind how many times wireless devices like to contact the netwrok these days, music streaming, purchases and updates etc. I think it's a nice idea but a little too soon given the plans on offer currently.
    05-13-11 12:26 PM
    I was using my old Virgin Mobile MiFi to connect my PlayBook to the web. Granted it is only a 3G connection; it is unlimited data. It is also pre-pay and no contract involved. It beat paying Sprint an additional $65 for 5GB and it runs on their 3G network.
    05-13-11 12:30 PM
    I've been using my PlayBook with the Hotspot function of my Nexus S 4G. Really great combo for when you need data in a pinch (wouldn't use it for a long unless I had a place to plug my phone in). And Sprint hasn't locked down the Wifi tethering on this phone (yet).
    05-13-11 01:32 PM
    I was using my old Virgin Mobile MiFi to connect my PlayBook to the web. Granted it is only a 3G connection; it is unlimited data. It is also pre-pay and no contract involved. It beat paying Sprint an additional $65 for 5GB and it runs on their 3G network.
    I was looking at this as an option. But why did you say "was using"? Did something happen that caused you to stop?

Were you able to load and play flash? Did videos play well or was it a lot of buffering? ANYTHING has got to be better than my painfully slow 8530 curve! Both tethering and BB bridge are horrible using this option.
    05-13-11 01:47 PM
    I was looking at this as an option. But why did you say "was using"? Did something happen that caused you to stop?

Were you able to load and play flash? Did videos play well or was it a lot of buffering? ANYTHING has got to be better than my painfully slow 8530 curve! Both tethering and BB bridge are horrible using this option.
    I rooted my EVO and connect with it as a hotspot for my mobile needs now. Pre-pay vs no pay. I didn't have any issues with my MiFi when I used it. I still have it and plan to use it when I need large amounts of data usage when away from WiFi networks.
    05-13-11 02:47 PM
    5GB is nothing if that is your primary internet source. Do not, and I mean do not disconect your DSL.
    05-13-11 03:02 PM
    5GB is nothing if that is your primary internet source. Do not, and I mean do not disconect your DSL.
    I would just use it for the times when I don't have access to wireless. No way am I considering disconnecting my home internet service. Usage is too heavy.
    05-13-11 03:32 PM
    I would just use it for the times when I don't have access to wireless. No way am I considering disconnecting my home internet service. Usage is too heavy.
    For occasional wireless use the 5GB is more than enough. I use my 2GB Hot Spot through my phone with verizon and is enough for now. I was surprised at the speed though 2.78Mbps Down and 1.56Mbps up..considering that I am using 3G. I can't imagine what 4G would be like.
    05-13-11 03:41 PM
    I have a sprint overdrive pro 3g/4g hot spot and that shpows hwo much of the bandwidth I have used for each session. and the router page as well as my account on sprint also tells you how much is the total usage to date.
    The good thing is it tells you the usage irrespective of 3g and/or 4g.
    In 4G it i have it unlimited and while I am in 3g I do not watch web based videos for longer period - just to avoid overage (5GB limit).
    05-13-11 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD