the New OS version removed MKV support in playbook and it is not good since I have all my favorite HD movies in MKV format loaded in my playbook, and now it prompted me that the format is not supported.
    04-24-12 08:22 AM
    mkv's still working on my playbook.
    gmoneyyo likes this.
    04-24-12 08:25 AM
    mkv's still working on my playbook.
    OMG! my playbook have problem playing my mkv files, anyways I'll try to restart my playbook. I just realized that I've never restart my playbook since the New OS version arrived.
    lilmateo91690 likes this.
    04-24-12 08:32 AM
    OK, restaring my playbook didn't solve problem with my MKV videos, the prompt says 'Media Error''this file type isn't supported'.
    04-24-12 08:37 AM
    I bought Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper a few weeks ago and spent some time researching container formats for the playbook 64GB I got last month. I was in the process of ripping to .mkv which is no longer an option since I too have upgraded. I suppose it is back to .mp4. Maybe I can use .wmv anyone recall whether there is native support on the Playbook for .wmv? I know the documentation clarifies this but I don't have it handy and previously only considered .mkv or .mp4. I think I read where .wmv has sufficient video quality and smaller file size. I have a Dell Studio XPS laptop and don't use iTunes so my music is .wma already. Can anyone tell me about their experience with .wmv on the Playbook?

Oh, and Thank You all for the heads up on the .mkv problem.
    04-24-12 08:47 AM
    I hope this isn't true It was one of the reasons I bought the PlayBook. Many reviews mentioned the PB excellent video capabilities. Apple is notoriously rigid as it's MP4 only, synched by iTunes. Apple incapacitates everything else because they want you to buy from the iTunes Store. I saw the PlayBook as away out of jail. Hopefully MKV will work in some sideloaded android players such as Mobo Player. Definitely complain to RIM if this is the case. Native support is still the best. I suspect they may have pulled MKV as a lot of torrent sites used MKV. MKV however is no longer the format of choice for them. MKV is great for copying dvds. RIM seems paranoid of being associated with piracy.
    Last edited by Apelles1; 04-24-12 at 08:55 AM.
    04-24-12 08:52 AM
    I bought Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper a few weeks ago and spent some time researching container formats for the playbook 64GB I got last month. I was in the process of ripping to .mkv which is no longer an option since I too have upgraded. I suppose it is back to .mp4. Maybe I can use .wmv anyone recall whether there is native support on the Playbook for .wmv? I know the documentation clarifies this but I don't have it handy and previously only considered .mkv or .mp4. I think I read where .wmv has sufficient video quality and smaller file size. I have a Dell Studio XPS laptop and don't use iTunes so my music is .wma already. Can anyone tell me about their experience with .wmv on the Playbook?

Oh, and Thank You all for the heads up on the .mkv problem.
    Try sideloading Mobo player, Rockplayer or Meridian player for mkv. Apparently VLC may come out with an android player, when available this would be the best.
    SaintThomasAquinas likes this.
    04-24-12 09:02 AM
    The mkv files work on my playbook just fine.

Watched a couple last night.
    gmoneyyo likes this.
    04-24-12 09:39 AM
    I do wonder at the inconsistencies people find on this issue and some similar issues people have had with pdf files. I wonder if some indexing did not get properly cleaned up on some units when the new OS was installed or something else in the "housekeeping" process.
    sputneek likes this.
    04-24-12 09:50 AM
    MKV is just a container. Saying one MKV file works while another doesn't means very little. You have to determine what is causing the MKV to be rejected. It's probably either the video ans/or audio codec used to encode the file.
    04-24-12 11:00 AM
    ive never had MKV's woking on my playbook.
    04-24-12 11:03 AM
    MKV's do work, you just need the correct video and audio codec. I use AVC (h.264 mpeg4) for video and mp3 or aac for audio in my mkvs. Works perfectly even for 60fps videos.
    thedark722, 13echo4 and gmoneyyo like this.
    04-24-12 11:38 AM
    Okay, but the person is reporting that the SAME videos did play under the prior OS. At least, that's how I read it. Maybe they mean new mkv files are not working and that could be the contents of the mkv container.
    04-24-12 12:12 PM
    People are probably having problems because AC3 and DTS are very common but totally unsupported by the playbook.

I can't play anything because of that.
    04-24-12 12:15 PM
    MKV's do work, you just need the correct video and audio codec. I use AVC (h.264 mpeg4) for video and mp3 or aac for audio in my mkvs. Works perfectly even for 60fps videos.

No way, ive been avoiding mkv's because i thought there was no support, so as long as the Audio isnt AC3 and DTS i should be good to go ?

or are you saying i need a Codec for the playbook ?
    Dave_Carter likes this.
    04-24-12 12:16 PM
    Im using moviesrt player and all my Mkv works but I need to rename to avi. Only if you have ac3 sound won't work.
    04-24-12 12:20 PM
    Attached is the RIM PDF of supported media types.
    04-24-12 12:30 PM
    No way, ive been avoiding mkv's because i thought there was no support, so as long as the Audio isnt AC3 and DTS i should be good to go ?

or are you saying i need a Codec for the playbook ?
    It was not openly announced or stated by RIM that they support, but my mkvs do work.

Yes, you just need the correct video (mpeg4/avc/h.264 should be fine) and audio (mp3 or aac; as long as not AC3) then you are good to go. You don't need to install any other 'codecs' and nothing third party is necessary. All native.
    04-24-12 12:38 PM
    side question, is there an app to play .iso file?
    04-24-12 01:04 PM
    the playbook won't work with Vorbis audio codec either (.ogg)
    04-24-12 02:14 PM
    Okay, but the person is reporting that the SAME videos did play under the prior OS. At least, that's how I read it. Maybe they mean new mkv files are not working and that could be the contents of the mkv container..
    Yes, it does look like they are the same files. Strange.
    Another thing that is odd, the Playbook is displaying a message saying the file is unsupported. If it's an unsupported audio codec (AC3) you just don't have audio.
    I'm thinking the files got corrupted during the update somehow.
    Last edited by Angus_CB; 04-24-12 at 02:58 PM.
    04-24-12 02:56 PM
    Actually, I just noticed that the 4 mkv HD movies that I had on my Playbook just disappeared and they had been sitting there for a couple weeks. Have no idea where they went to?
    04-24-12 04:29 PM
    Actually, I just noticed that the 4 mkv HD movies that I had on my Playbook just disappeared and they had been sitting there for a couple weeks. Have no idea where they went to?
    it disappeared only in your video player because the file is not recognized anymore, but if you'll use file browser then you will see your MKV file, thats what happened in my MKV files on my playbook after upgrade, I tried restarting my playbook but nothing happen, Its seems that my MKV videos are corrupted already that's why the native video player cannot see it, so deleting the MKV file from playbook and loading my original MKV file from my laptop to playbook works for me. Now My favorite HD videos are working again in my playbook.
    Last edited by PBfanatic; 04-24-12 at 11:14 PM.
    04-24-12 11:10 PM
    Oh one thing I have grudge against certain mkv files in playbook is that when you pinch and zoom the mkv while playing, you can't seek (fast forward?) anymore, have to stop the video playback, load again and seek. Does not happen to other file types.
    04-25-12 04:00 AM
    side question, is there an app to play .iso file?
    .iso files are not media files and thus cannot be played. An iso file is an image file of a cd or dvd and can be used to create a cd or dvd. It is analogous to a zip file, and as such, while it might contain media files, these need to be extracted in order to be played.
    04-25-12 04:34 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD