12-31-11 05:41 PM
38 12
tools
    I've lost my Playbook! I believe it is in my house somewhere but I can't find it. I am able to bridge to the Playbook with my Blackberry Bold so it must be within range of the Blue Tooth.

Any ideas on how I can find it?
    12-27-11 11:40 AM
    Retrace your steps.
    12-27-11 11:44 AM
    Can you send your phone some bbm's from another BB? Maybe you would hear the notifications. If you keep moving out of bridge range you could narrow down the area.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 11:46 AM
    If your PB notifications volume is high enough, keep messaging/emailing yourself and listen for the notification sound.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 11:47 AM
    Did you fall asleep with your PB? Look under the covers or under the bed.

And I know this cause I've done it! hahhahaha

Wouldn't it be great if there was an App to find it via GPS, like they have the collar thingie for dogs now???
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-27-11 at 11:55 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 11:51 AM
    hopefully, they'll get it worked out touse BB Protect.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 12:27 PM
    I misplaced my bb phone in the basement - what a torture chamber. I would call it but it would go to voice mail to damn quickly. Finally found it. (I now have where's my phone).
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 12:30 PM
    Hope you find it....

This goes along side of an idea I had for an app... a proximity app. Say your shopping, and you put your PB down on a shelf to pick something up (requiring 2 hands)...then you move away from where your PB was to show someone the item you've picked up (or you just plain get sidetracked)... if the bluetooth signal gets weak, your BB could sound an alarm and/or vibrate and show an onscreen message stating you've put too much distance between your BB and your PB. Then hitting a button on the BB would make your PB sound out a 'find me' beacon... warmer... warmer.... colder.... warmer.... get it? LOL... I'm no programmer, but if BT can transmit audio and more, it's got to be possible to transmit (or receive) distance data based upon signal strength. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If someone's already thought of this, super, if not, please steal the idea. And if this should be moved/added to 'apps we'd like to see'... all good.

Anyway let us know when you've found yours... (Mine has become like IV).
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 12:52 PM
    The device makes an awful racket to warn you when the battery has drained to a low level. It may take a while if its in standby but the notification will certainly et your attention.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 01:17 PM
    Hope you find it....

This goes along side of an idea I had for an app... a proximity app. Say your shopping, and you put your PB down on a shelf to pick something up (requiring 2 hands)...then you move away from where your PB was to show someone the item you've picked up (or you just plain get sidetracked)... if the bluetooth signal gets weak, your BB could sound an alarm and/or vibrate and show an onscreen message stating you've put too much distance between your BB and your PB. Then hitting a button on the BB would make your PB sound out a 'find me' beacon... warmer... warmer.... colder.... warmer.... get it? LOL... I'm no programmer, but if BT can transmit audio and more, it's got to be possible to transmit (or receive) distance data based upon signal strength. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If someone's already thought of this, super, if not, please steal the idea. And if this should be moved/added to 'apps we'd like to see'... all good.

Anyway let us know when you've found yours... (Mine has become like IV).
    All these things will be possible as soon as RIM provides some much needed APIs. Right now it is not possible to write an app that runs silently in the background from where it can monitor the system. The best we can do right now is prevent the device from going to sleep, but only if at least one pixel of the app's screen is in view on the home screen. And even then the device must be in showcase mode to obey our request for the app to stay active.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 01:23 PM
    Sorry, but this thread is too funny. BB Protect would show a big ole dot on your house, so no help there. The sound notifications are your only recourse. Now if someone would help me out with my thread (sound notice when BB is ringing), we could find your PB by calling the BB.

Another idea - use the vid chat. It has a ringer! Get someone to vid chat your PB.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 01:24 PM
    You left it on the couch. It's in the cushions.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 01:52 PM
    I misplaced my bb phone in the basement - what a torture chamber. I would call it but it would go to voice mail to damn quickly. Finally found it. (I now have where's my phone).
    I've had WheresMyPhone for a couple years now. I've never had to use it myself, but it's also installed on both of my son's phones (with auto email disabled) and its really comforting to locate them anytime day or night.

It's also fun setting off the alarm feature when they least expect it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 01:56 PM
    At what percentage of battery level does it start to make such racket?
    12-27-11 01:58 PM
    Am I right in assuming that given I can connect to it via Blue Tooth that it has to be in the house somewhere? If it was out of range or the battery was dead I would not be able to connect to it correct?
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 02:00 PM
    Protect will allow you to force the phone into a continuous loud ring to help you find the phone. The GPS should get you close enough to hear the phone.
    12-27-11 02:02 PM
    Am I right in assuming that given I can connect to it via Blue Tooth that it has to be in the house somewhere? If it was out of range or the battery was dead I would not be able to connect to it correct?
    It can be anywhere within 50 to 100 feet of it. I have left mine in the car and have still been bridged to it from the house.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 02:05 PM
    Correct. To be sure its connected go to the bluetooth connections on your phone and click the playbook in your paired devices. If connected you should be highlighted on the option to disconnect.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 02:06 PM
    I've had WheresMyPhone for a couple years now. I've never had to use it myself, but it's also installed on both of my son's phones (with auto email disabled) and its really comforting to locate them anytime day or night.

It's also fun setting off the alarm feature when they least expect it.
    I'm sure you are the life of whatever party they are attending!
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 03:12 PM
    I'd suggest you also get a nice red case for it. The black makes it easier to fade into the background.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 04:03 PM
    If you post your bbid or pm it to someone with a playbook video chat would ring its bell for you.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-27-11 04:49 PM
    Try cleaning your house
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    12-27-11 04:51 PM
    Listen up noob hipdannyglover - the entire crackberry nation is waiting to find out where you lost yer PB! If you dont report back today, we will all red triangle you to the mods as a total tease. PBers want to know - did you find it, dammit?!?
    12-28-11 11:11 AM
    Listen up noob hipdannyglover - the entire crackberry nation is waiting to find out where you lost yer PB! If you dont report back today, we will all red triangle you to the mods as a total tease. PBers want to know - did you find it, dammit?!?
    Yeah, this threads that end in an unresolved mystery are no fun! I'm still waiting to hear if that "other" guy got his pb working after taking it apart and ungluing the glass screen from the underlying metal frame!
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 11:42 AM
    No luck yet. Still paired with my BB so I'm convinced it's here somewhere.
    12-28-11 12:02 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD